M&P 15 Sport upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by P_town, Jul 18, 2012.

1. P_town

P_town New Member

Hello everyone, georgia here. Anyways...

Well I purchased a mp 15 sport a while Back and I've put a decent amount of rounds through it to where in comfortable with the weapon. This is my "shtf" gun and i've been reading up on things about the dust cover and forward assist. I've found an upper by aero precision that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. But am I making a mistake? Id love some advice from you guys

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

forward assist and dust cover are not neccessary on a properly working ar15. my colt sp1 i bought back in the 80's has no forward assist and i dont remember if i ever bothered using the dust cover. ive prolly shot close to 100k through and i dont think its ever had a fail to fire and ive long since replaced the second barrel.

unless you realllllly just gotta have em i dont think they are neccessary at all.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it. That said I refuse to buy an AR that doesn't have a forward assist. Then again I'm a bit touched in the head. Lol

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah, I think it's a mistake. Why not build/buy another upper if that's what you really want. Permanently breaking up a factory rifle that you might sell one day isn't a great idea. And of course you could end up with a nightmare that S&W won't service.