M&p 15 sport range report!!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rurak, Aug 5, 2012.

1. rurak

rurak New Member

SoI took my m&p 15 sport out today and put a few hundred rounds of steel cased Tula .223 down range. Once I had my scope dialed in (Nikon m-223 8x32) I was getting consistent 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I've heard that Tula ammo is notoriously inaccurate, is a 2 inch group at 100 yards good for a stock m&p 15 sport? This is my first ar. My friend has a Daniel Defense and he was consistently hitting 1/2" at 100 yards. He has a much higher power scope and a bipod. I was free handing and using my mag as a mono-pod. His trigger was also nicer. Is there anything I can do myself to lighten the trigger without spending 100+? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

thts 2 moa. its about right for cheap soviet stuff

3. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Yeah, first thing I'd try some better ammo. My Sport will do close 1MOA at 100 yards with American Eagle 55gr, at least whenI do my job. ;)

4. rurak

rurak New Member

Well good ammo is pricey and tough to find in ky area right now. I was satisfied with my 2" groups but my friends scope made me want a better scope! Unfortunately i cant drop as much as i spent on the rifle for a scope

5. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Quality ammo is much cheaper than a new scope. Feed it some good ammo and use a range bag of some sort for a rest. Or buy a bipod. Those two things alone should shrink your groups below 1" if you do your part behind the trigger.

Was your friend using the same ammo as you or did he have something better?

6. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Not sure what things are like around you. It the last time I bought ammo for my AR the LGS was selling 100rnd boxes for less than $40 ea. Maybe not bargain basement but not bad for centerfire ammo.

7. buffalolake

buffalolake New Member

JP Enterprises trigger springs should cost about $10 and will lighten up your trigger.

8. rurak

rurak New Member

My friend was running better ammo. Brass 5.56 i was running steel. 223. Im going to try those trigger springs and the bipod is already on the way! Thanks guys. I always shot rifles when i was a kid for fun but it doesn't compare to an ar

9. billt

billt New Member

If you're shooting for group size, and to determine accuracy as a result, buy some good match ammunition. It will prove the actual accuracy your rifle is capable of far better than any Com-Block steel cased ammo ever will.

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

PMC ammo is good quality and will get you great results as well and not too bad on the pocket.

11. rurak

rurak New Member

Thanks. Ill look into some pmc