M&P 15 Front Sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by flybuddy, May 31, 2013.

1. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Have a red dot sight that I occasionally use on my MP15-22. Just bought a "real" MP15 with MBUS sights and the front sight blocks the red dot when mounted on the rail. On the 22 the front sight simply thumbscrews off. On the 15 it looks like 2 small pins need to be punched out and then the suppressor screwed off to slide it off the barrel. Is this correct or am I missing something? Are there ways to mounts DOT sights to rail without front sight removal. thx for any info.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You are correct about the pins, but on a real AR, that is the gas block. Your directly impinged AR will not run without a gas block and tube to "blow" the bolt back.

Your 15-22 is not a DI gun, it just looks like an AR gas system.

3. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Thx but, I'm talking about 2 separate guns. I have both an MP15 and an MP15-22. Can I not take the the front sights off of the MP15??

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If it looks like this, the front sight is part of the gas block.

Attached Files:

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Your m&p has a gas system like this:

Attached Files:

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Remove the handguard, you will experience an ah-ha moment.

7. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Thanks, now I get the picture! Wish I had gotten a flat top...How do people do optics with these sights?

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

You can take it off and replace it with a low pro gas block

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Save yourself some trouble and buy a riser.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Well you can cut off the sight portion with a Sawzall or some such, then grind off the rough edges and apply some cold blue. I have used this method.

Another option is to cowitness your iron and red dot, then you still have sights if your battery fails.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

what red dot do you have?? some require special mounts to get the dot at or above the front sight post.

there isnt anything wrong and the fixed front non removable is actually the best gas black and front sight system you can get on a ar15. your just lacking a proper mount to get your 1/3 or full cowitness going

12. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Thx much guys, I'm going to try the riser first. I'm new to ARs (actually, this is my first rifle above a .22), it's really helpful to get options from experienced users.

13. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Don't make the same mistake I did and buy an oversized riser! LOL
    BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]

14. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Oh sure, BUT DON'T. Get a riser to mount the red dot on. (I'm sure this is a repeat suggestion) :)

15. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Thx...It is...already ordered a half inch riser which seems to be the smallest bump up that should work. I cut out 1/2" of foam and laid the red dot sight on top of that. The dot was right at the top of the front sight so I'm hoping that will work. Riser is cheap so it doesn't hurt to experiment.

16. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

I used a 1/2 riser and it's a perfect co-witness with my set-up.

17. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

The 1/2" riser came today. I installed it and then zero'd the red dot with a laser bore sight. Perfect!! Thx for the help

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The 1/2" riser probably gave you an absolute cowitness. Some of us like the bottom 1/3 cowitness better (since it gets you above the front sight a little more) but it takes a taller riser. Something to think about. The AR Primer sticky or its companion thread has more info and diagrams on this.