M&p 15-22

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Nov 9, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

looking at getting one of those pink talo edition m&p 15-22s for use with a suppressor. anyone got any bad points about the mp??

2. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I'm sure you know, and it's really not even be a bad point at all, but the receivers are polymer.

I was looking at getting one to use for some supplemental AR training. The only issue I have is that they are polymer. I don't necessarily mind that they are polymer, it's just that they are too light for the purpose I would use them for. I want my .22 trainer to be as close to my actual rifle as possible, and the weight is just too light for me.

-Fred

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The M&P15-22 is a great buy when you can hit a sale (around $400 which I haven't seen lately). I went with the heavier metal Colt/Walther and love it but either rifle is worth having. The S&W operates much like a real AR and uses standard trigger group components which is an advantage over the Colt. The Colt weighs the same as a true M4 or M16. Both are fussy with certain ammo like many .22lrs. The Colt mag is 30rds, S&W is 25 and both are proprietary.

4. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I'm looking at picking up the .22lr dedicated upper from tactical solutions sometime in the future, and just using the same lower I have now for the time being, and maybe building a lower for it at some point down the road.

-Fred

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think that's the best of both worlds and later if you want you can build another lower or even go with a Plum Crazy lower for peanuts.

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I would build it very similar to my actual rifle, and hopefully it will come in at the same weight so I can get some good practice with moving, target acquisition, target transition and the likes, but without breaking the bank.

Plus it would be a good rifle to get non-shooters into the sport. Whenever I take a new shooter shooting, I always start them on the 10/22. They don't understand how important it is for them to learn fundamentals with a rifle like this, and it's not a "cool looking" rifle, so sometimes they don't enjoy it as much. With some like an AR chambered in .22, they would be shooting a rifle that could be more physically appealing, but also be helping them pick up the fundamentals without creating any bad habits in relation to recoil.

-Fred

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

didnt know the upper was a polymer too. never held one just seen em. never heard anything really negative either other than weight not being the same. nothing bad related to function.

the m&p comes in pink (huge plus) and the mags have a easy load button.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Theentire M&P15-22 is poly but I wouldn't be bothered by it. I have a CMMG dedicated upper which I like but swapped for a 15-22 w/ a guy at the range so we could see how the other felt in comparison. The 15-22 was really nice.

If I had it to do over again I would probably end up w/ a M&P15-22.

9. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

For a .22 AR I would go with the (Colt umarex M4 ops). It can come with full R.I.S, it uses a blowback system, and what I like most about it is that it has a FULL METAL BODY!

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks but im not a fan of the umarex model. the ones ive seen dont have bolt hold open and dont follow the ar15 format close enough.

just got a call from my lgs he has this model on the way at 499$

[​IMG]

should be here by wednesday.

taking it out and giving it a workout with the silencerco sparrow suppressor

11. Doc Neeley

Doc Neeley New Member

I have one sitting in the closet for my 12 year old grandaughter's Christmas present. Really a nice solid little gun.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Glad you found what you wanted, Jon! I do need to correct you though, the Colt/Umarex .22 most certainly does have a bolt hold open, it's internal.

13. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

I think the M&P is one of the best "tatical" .22s around. I can't remember which one but a firearms magazine named it the best rifle of 2010 which must mean something!

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It's finicky about what ammo it will readily digest. But what .22 other than a revolver isn't finicky?

I love mine.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

the one i saw a while back when they came out was at a gander mountain waaaay over priced the bolt catch didnt work.

my 10/22, bersa thunder 22, ruger mk3, cmmg 22 conversion, and gsg 1911 22 all eat everything i run through em. but i mainly use the cci blazer.

im going to run it through its paces suppressed and unsuppressed

16. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

I love my Colt/Umarex M4 OPS.
    It's reliable, super accurate, and a blast to shoot! :)

[​IMG]

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

that a lot nicer umarex than the ones i saw when they came out

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

got to compair a colt 15-22 and a mp 15-22 side by side. the m&p felt better the safety selector works just like a regular ar15 90 degree turn. the bolt hold open is functional. the fore grip is not removeable from what i could tell so your stuck with the rail its got. the buffer tube is part of the reciever not a good thing in my opinion. lower reciever takes regular ar trigger parts. takedown is the same pushpin system as regular AR15s

the colt's reciever didnt feel like aluminum more like the frame of my gsg 1911-22 but that coulda been the finish they used dunno. the safety selector rotated 180 degrees and was very very loose. the bolt hold open catch was cosmetic and non functional. had to release the bolt by pulling the charging handle. lower reciever is not compatable with regular AR parts. needs tools for takedown

magazines was another issue plus and minus for both so in that area its a dead tie. MP mags are ~20$ each hold 25 rounds and are very sturdy. colt mags are 30$ each did not feel as rugged but hold 30 rounds. both semmed like they would be very easy to load.

im glad i picked the M&P over the colt it felt like a better gun overall with only a few knocks against it. the colt was too far away from the ar15 format to do what i wanted.

19. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Did you get it yet? Or were you just looking at one of the black ones? I was at my LGS today and they had the pink one. I can definitely say that it will stand out. Kinda neat looking though.

-Fred

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

:eek:
    ya it showed up today i just got back from picking it up and getting dinner. had 155$ in store credit from their frequent buyer program lol. so price was 344$ before tax.

gonna do a post on it in a few gotta yank the flash suppressor off and get some pics with the suppressor. taking it out this weekend