M-91 and damn big snake

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Chainfire, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Put out some food for the stray cats today, shook the food in the bowl and got a response from about 18" away from my hand. This is about as big as an Eastern Diamondback gets. (I am washing my pants now):)

5'2" from end of rattles to remains of head. 13 rattles and a button.

Attached Files:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Anytime you have a snake longer than a Moisin-Nagant, you are entitled to say it IS a damned big snake! :eek:

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What did you go and kill it for? Did ya eat it? Skin it to make some grips?

Nice Mosin, I like it.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chainfire,

Nice rifle and for sure a big rattler. Western Diamondback I presume!
    Texas or where?

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice, I see about a dozen grips layin' next to your Nagant.

6. Chainfire

No sir, that is an Eastern Diamondback. It met its end in North Florida.
    The experts will tell you they don't get that big.

7. Chainfire

Thanks for the Mosin compliment. That one is my favorite.

Why did I kill it?

I have been bitten by a pit viper, 200 feet away from where that one died. That bite was the most unpleasant experience of my life. I have had three dogs bitten by rattlesnakes. These snakes are territorial. I walk to my car before daylight every morning. When they show up in my yard, and I see them, I kill them. This one threatened me first, we had a gunfight, he showed up with fangs; he lost.

I know they are good for the environment. Just not my environment.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

"Never bring fangs to a gunfight."

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are supposedly very good to eat if you can get past the rank snake smell skinning and cleaning them.

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Chainfire,Your a little wrong.
    The Eastern Diamondback can grow well over 8ft in length.I've seen captive ones almost 10ft.
    The Western Diamondback is quite smaller in size,a big one will go around 6ft.

I catch them all the time on the gas/oil wells that I work on.

11. Chainfire

My statement may have been incorrect. I do, however, remember a demonstation at the Rattlesnake Round-up held in Cairo, Ga. every year when the "expert" said that anyone that says he has seen a 5 foot rattler is stretching the truth.

In my 60 years I have dispatched a lot of big rattlers, this one takes my personal prize for the biggest and the most rattles, though I have seen them with a larger girth. He was way too big to be tooling around my yard.

12. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

If you want to keep and put on your wall you could go cheap and just skin it and salt the hell out of it.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

experts are seldom right about anything but their wish to be self proclaimed experts

last deer season south texas my bud shot a rattler with his 1911 it measured out at 5'7" without the head.

14. shootinfool

shootinfool New Member

Nice trophy. I killed a 5.5 footer last summer in mississippi. I can tell you that a 20 ga pump with number 6 shot will cut a rattlesnake clean in half with two shots. :)

"it flies it dies", "its brown its down"

15. orangello

orangello New Member

So wait, did you actually go inside to get the Mosin or what did you shoot that thing with?

A five foot rattler looks huge to me, and i had a free-ranging indoor pet Burmese that was about eight and a half foot when i sold/adopted him off.

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I killed a 6'2" canebrake rattler here in Arkansas..... Where rattlers don't exist.....or panthers. Lol!
    That's a pretty one you got there!

17. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Nice set of rattles too.

18. Chainfire

Oh no. The Mosin was inserted in the photo for scale. I stood in the yard screaming like a little girl for my wife to bring the bedside shotgun.:)

It looked huge to me when we were eyeball to eyeball and less than two feet apart too!!!

19. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

CF, did they change the location? Rattlesnake Roundup used to be held in Whigham, Ga. Right close to Cairo though. For the Yankees, it's pronounced "Kay-ro", like the corn syrup- not that place in Egypt!
    I have seen a longer rattler, but it's been some years ago. Saw a fine specimen swimming the Ocklocknee River once. First time I knew a rattler could swim!

20. steve666

steve666 New Member

The "experts" will tell you all kinds of things. I can remember when they told us that Water Moccasins and Copperheads didn't come as far north as Indiana.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011