M-1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by TXnorton, Feb 12, 2011.

1. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Was bored this morning, so the wife and I went down to my favorite toy store. It was this or a Swiss K-31, but the wood on the two K-31's they had were a bit too rough to re-finish well. So, I picked up this one. Manufactured in 1919. The bore looks good and I'll try it out at the range tomorrow. I've located a muzzle thread protector for it. The bayonet is next!

Attached Files:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

One of the best rifle calibers ever made, IMHO. While the K-31s are fun, ya done real good with that one as well.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations. Let us know how it shoots.

I've been wanting a Swedish Mauser myself. ...Someday.

4. m72law

m72law New Member

dang,thats a nice stick!
    watt ammo will you be feeding it tomorrow?
    range pics please!

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Outstanding acquisition!

If you could have posted this yesterday I would have had a bayonet and frog for you. I gave my spare Swede bayo to a friend yesterday AM.

6. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

M14 - Thanks for the thought, I guess I was a day late and now a bayonet short!

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Nice grab!! Samco global has surplus ammo and Bayonet/ frogs. The Swedes did not use corrosive ammo, just thought I'd add that. Some lots of Swede ammo have an orange color to the Brass. It seems they added Iron to the mix, shoots the same though w/ no issues. If you find your rifle shoot about 8" high, Sarco has +2.5 front sight blades and the correct thread protector. If your rear sight is stamped "S" you should be fine though. Samco also has the correct, original slings.

8. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Well, the weather warmed up today after two weeks of on and off freezing temperatures in Houston, so I took the new (old) M-1896 Swedish Mauser to the range this morning. I ran a box of store bought Winchester 140 grain bullets through it. I had to drift the front sight a bit as the first ten rounds were decidedly off to the right. The first photo is the second target. At 100 yards I was holding just below the black target and it was grouping about 6” above that. I was not unhappy with the groups, I just wish I had my younger eyesight back, bifocals don’t make it easy to maintain a good focus on the font sight and the target!

I also took the Type-38 Arisaka and ran about 2 boxes through it. No photo of that target, but “many” were in the black but not great groups, the barrel on that rifle is a tad worn out.

The second photo is of both the 6.5 mm rifles. It is amazing how similar the Type 38 Arisaka and the 1896 Swede are.

Attached Files:

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Very nice!! I need to add an Arisaka.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

very nice rifle no one makes rifles like they did in the old days. many modern scoped rifles dont shoot as well as the old military ones with iron sights :)

11. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Great groups there. I'd be happy with them. Just be careful using the term "old" in that regard. I believe C3Shooter might have owned a M96 before they were offered as surplus.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hahahahaha.........

13. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

These are fine little rifles. The 6.5x55 is a great round. Many of these had the Micro-Meter rear sights. These sights were incredible. They had ajustments like a scope very fine.

14. jpattersonnh

The receiver sights were used on civilian marksmanship rifles, never military.

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

So wrong. These rifle were shortened and the Micro-Meters were added to issue rifles. There is a nice one for sale here with sight for $350.00.

DK

16. jpattersonnh

Wrong!!! The M41b had a SM m/55 rear sight, it is neither Micrometer, or receiver. Please post the link to the thread. The M38 had an updated rear sight, still forward of the receiver. Wanna see my Swede's???

17. RonC

RonC New Member

I have two of those Swede M96 rifles and they can be remarkable shooters.

I always thought that the Swiss K31 was about the most accurate, unmodified military rifle I had until I used the M96. One I have is the marksman civilian model with the peep sights and even these 64 year old eyes can shoot remarkable groups off sand bags. Wonderful rifles!

Ron

18. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but I absolutely love my Swedish Mauser. I have found that the accuracy of the rifle greatly improved when I fired hand loaded ammo through it!

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Nothing like the Fit & Finish of a Swede...........Thats a nice one TXnorton.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  20. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

Nice find! The way I figure it, the Swedish Mauser was the most effective weapon of World War 1 and World War 2. It seemed to deter all the other combatants. Enjoy shooting it!