M-1 Garand

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by ivandog48, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

Just brought home my M-1 Garand from the CMP facility in Anniston Alabama. If you are a member if CMP, don't miss out on owning the most iconic rifle in American history. Mine appears to have never been fired according to the staff there in Anniston. Some of these rifles have been in ROTC possession and although handled extensively, have not been fired. Mine gaged a 1 on the bore check and had a new walnut stock. As soon as I got home, I dropped by a friend who served in Europe during WWII. He grinned from ear to ear upon seeing his old weapon from the war. It made it all worthwhile. It shoots great, and a real piece of history for many to enjoy.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Did you take 22 down to 20 in birmingham? Looks like the route to go from my neck of the woods. May have to make that trip one day.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Will be 25 miles from the Northern store around 1 Dec. Was just considering a stop off for a birthday gift for me.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well happy birthday!! If you stop by there, it's sure to be a good one!

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Awesome! Wheres the pics???

Im still looking for mine... :( For some reason the CMP doesnt carry "farm equipment" :mad::p

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hi ivandog48,

Welcome to the FTF.

Man, just wait till you shoot that thing!

Garands ROCK! Boo-yah!

Just be careful you get either Garand

rated 30.06 ammo, or 150 grain bullets,

so you don't bend the op-rod.(gas)

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I thought it was the power curve of the powder that bent op-rods.... not the weight of the bullet.....

8. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

No, I drove 5-1/2 hrs from N.E. Arkansas on 78 south. Wife shopped in awesome malls in nearby Birmingham. Ammo in good supply there too. Greek made but good. Good aircraft museum near airport in Birmingham. Makes a good two day trip.

9. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

Bought some good quality Greek surplus ammo there also. My new stock was bare walnut. I four coated with boiled linseed oil then two coats tongue oil. It's awesome. People go nuts over it. If you want one with wear and tear, they have those available too. Some still in cosmoline.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah 22 and 78 are the same from the northern MS state line all the way to birmingham. I usually call it 78 too, but it says 22 on the map. You passed right through my neighborhood.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

True, but most inexpensive commercial loads for 150 grain bullets

have a tolerable amount of powder for a Garand gas system.

While you could load a 150 grain bullet with a dangerously hot

load for the gun, IME most standard 150 grain loads work well.

Most large reloading manuals also have a separate chapter

or subsection on 30.06 specifically for the Garand.

There is also a "Schuster Plug" or adjustable valved plug available

to replace the standard gas plug, if you want to shoot heavier

loads without damaging the rifle's gas system.

12. ZekeLuvs1911

ZekeLuvs1911 New Member

That's true but remember that higher weight bullets are often loaded with more power powder to push it at higher velocity. Stick with 150gr 30-06 ammo and you should be ok.

13. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

M1D Garand cal. 30-06 semi-automatic eight shot top loading clip fed Springfield Armory rifle. This rifle also came from DCM at a cost of $650.00. It was the designated “Sniper rifle” that was issued During WWII and the Korean War. It has the scope, cheekpiece, flash suppressor and bayonet that Was issued with it. It is topped with a Libby-Owens-Ford manufactured M82 2.5 power scope. The Rifle appears to be unfired or arsenal refinished. The scope, cheekpad and M2 flash hider were new in Wrappers. I assembled it, zeroed it and fired about 10 rounds and that’s all its been used. I also have the USGI M5A1bayonet M10 scabbard and winter trigger conversion.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/M1D.jpg

14. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

That is awesome. That's a real keeper. The CMP in Alabama has sniper M-1 up to $4,000.00 each with no scope.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

think you should add my name to your christmas list :p.. i was just doing research as to what forms i would have to fill out next year to get mine

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011