M-1 A *Loaded Model Finally Arrived

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Sniper03, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Decided to go with the Springfield M1-A *Loaded Model. This one will be iron sights only for training reasons. Also a pic of a rough zero target prior to final adjustments to correct dead on at 100 Yards. Made my adjustments but ran out of time to finish checking. Good excuse to get back on the range next week. And the other justification is to get my deer rifles ready for November. Rationalization and a valid excuse to get out there is a great thing! :D

Attached Files:

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

You will love the iron sights. I took my scope off recently and really enjoy the quick recovery.
    Looks like you cleaned up the reloading bench for the photos.
    The M1A looks great. Enjoy!

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm jealous.

January is my pick up new guns month. I'm not sure if I'm going to get a 1911 or the M1A.

4. opaww

opaww New Member

Sweet...now if I can find a rich lady to buy me one I would be happy

5. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Yep, I feeling really jealous right now myself. This is one instance where I really wish there were no pictures. That's one sweet rifle and seeing it made me just that much more jealous. :D

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The M 1A is a fine rifle. We shoot 1,000 meter iron. I shoot a Garand and have for years. The M 1A however is a much better rifle.:)

7. Jim1611

Jim1611 New Member

Very nice rifle Sniper! Some good shooting going on there too. I've been saving up for one of those. I have a question. I've read that the ammo for the Garand was loaded down so as to not be so hard on the action. Is the Springfield M1A able to shoot full house loads?

8. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I just took off the scope on my M1A to sight in the iron. Really liked it. How do you size the targets. Any rule of thumb? How big is the target at 1000m?

9. capnklump

capnklump New Member

How much did it set you back, if you dont mind me asking??

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Our 1,000 meter gongs are set for scoped .50 Cals. They are small for iron sights 40" plates. We sight in at 300 to 500 to 600 etc until we find the range. The Coriolis effect is there and must be taken into the equation. Once the range is found the hits come with some ease. The M1As really shine in this game with the heavier bullets. The Garand should be kept on the light side I shoot 147 FMJ BT bullets. Some guys load them up on the heavy side but they are always damaged it seems. Yes they use ajustable pistons, Garands are 60-80 years old care should be given to these beloved classics.:)

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Nice rifle, great shooting. As far as the question about full house loads, I would just load it heavy enough to work the action. Bear with me while I go out on a brief tangent. It seems like in our society, we tend to think that if a lot is better then even more would be better yet. After shooting at the local range one day a week for the last two years and rotating around 10 different rifles from a .222 up to my .35 Rem. and 8x57, I have come to realize that less is more. I have brought down all of my loads for all of my rifles, some as much as 300fps lower than what I was loading. Now, most of my loads are the suggested starting loads. I don't worry about maximum loads anymore. Results are accuracy is still good, powder lasts longer, and recoil is less. And, I don't think a deer will know that the loads are moving a little slower than they once were.
    cottontop

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like, I like, sniper.

A little bird told me the modern m1a is designed for a 165 grain boattail at 2700 fps. Ymmv.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yep. It's official. I hate him. :p

That is a beautiful rifle and from the group on that target, it would appear the shooter is half assed competent too. :D:cool:

JD

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I'm leaning hard in that direction........

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jim,

Garand Rifle ammunition is loaded down. This to prevent damage to the Garand's Operating Rod. In fact I just got some in from Cabelas for my Garands last month. But I have shot full blown Federal Gold Medal GM308M 168 Gr. Ammunition and other ammunition in my other M-1 A for years and had Zero issues with the weapon. The M-1A was designed as you know on the M-14 Platform and I know the 7.62 X 51s are not loaded down. So I would say they have no problem with full powered rounds in the M-1 A Rifle.