Lwrc m6a2 14.7 or 16 inch barrel?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by siggy1026, May 16, 2012.

1. siggy1026

siggy1026 New Member

I guys, my first post on long gun forum. Ive decided on an LWRC M6a2 556 but wanted to know what the difference is between the 14.7 inch barrel and the 16 inch barrell. I found one that is non SPR with fluted barrel with 14.7 inch or debating between a standard 16 inch barrel non fluted barrel. Please lmk what you guys think. Both are around $2,200

2. X-mark

X-mark New Member

14.7" barrel will have a pinned muzzle device

3. siggy1026

siggy1026 New Member

What does that mean? Is that better or worse?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

means the barrel is still going to be 16+ inches but you lose the velocity from an actual 16inch barrel.

if you go nfa route for a sbr it doesnt matter if its short. non-nfa 14" makes no sense to me

5. siggy1026

siggy1026 New Member

What is nfa? Sorry to be such a noob

6. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

My LWRC is a 14.7" which is nice because any regular length muzzle device. I'm more into the use of ARs than the technical data or the slight loss of velocity by going from 16" to 14.7". I do know the slightly shorter barrel feels nicer and points better. Of course that's all just my opinion.

Mine is for sale ;)

7. siggy1026

siggy1026 New Member

Pictures and how much?

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Tsk tsk tsk. So shameless. Pron plz.:D

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

national firearms act of 1936. outlawedd suppressors machineguns shortbarrel rifles explosive devices canons destructive implements and short barreled rifles.

it is illegal to possess a a rifle with a barrel less than 16" without a nfa tax stamp.

anyway the benefits of a shorter barrel is lighter weight and shorter length making it more handy. the negative is a loss of velocity.

if you dont go nfa then you have to permanently attach a device that gets you to 16.1" so your back to 16" adding almost all the weight back but still give up the velocity.

thats why i dont think it makes sense :)

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

11. Mdrums

Mdrums New Member

Yeah...great plug in my opinion...I've read that post a bunch.

I really really want an AR and to learn about them. I can afford what I want and have put myself on a $1200-1800ish budget. I'd like a gun from a manufacture that has military sales and/or experience.

I just really can't tell what is the best built...Colt, Daniel Defense, LaRue, Bravo Co. LMT and so forth,

12. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

For that budget i'd go DD or BCM imo. You've got enough to buy a damn good rifle and some ammo for that budget :cool:

13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

You forget that both will have muzzle devices on them. A 14.7" w/ A2 is 16" but a 16" w/ A2 is almost 18".

It's personal preference really. I learned on a 20" A4 but spent more time w/ a 14.5".

What's the velocity difference b/w 14.5 and 16?

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

With that budget you can have just about anything.

So. What's ur intended use?

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I'd go with a very nice BCM and toss on a realy nice scope to top it off. Your budget, that's a good BCM complete and a nice Aimpoint on top of it.

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I been toying w/ the idea but don't really want to sell it. I was mostly messing around w/ you.

The others are right. I'd get a BCM Colt or DD.

17. X-mark

X-mark New Member

This just means the 14.7" barrel has a muzzle device that is permanently attached to the barrel to bring it to at least the minimum legal required length to remain non-NFA...basically meaning to be legal. This also means, you are pretty much stuck with the muzzle device that is attached to the barrel...most likely an A2 Birdcage. It is not better or worse...just depends what you are looking for. For some the approximate 1.5" shorter length makes a big enough difference for their intended purpose. Just be aware that having a pinned muzzle device may limit rail selection, if you decide to change rails in the future. This is because some rails require a proprietary barrel nut, which means you will have to remove the muzzle device to be able to swap the barrel nut. Other than that, where ever you are buying this rifle from, check with them to determine if this is the current generation M6A2 or the previous generation. The previous generation used a 2-piece Bolt carrier, while the current gen uses a one-piece carrier. The one-piece is supposed to be a stronger design and is supposed to alleviate carrier-tilt, which is a problem most all piston systems exhibit.

LWRCi rifles are very sleek. they have dedicated fans as well as dedicated haters. I will say that they have the smoothest out-of-the-box action of any AR I have handled, but that could be because they lube them up so much when they leave the factory, they get boxed up wetter than a newborn baby.