Luger

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by sfguy, Mar 4, 2010.

1. sfguy

sfguy New Member

A friend of mine bought a 1916 Erfurt Luger in 30 Cal Luger made in 1916, looks pretty good however it stove pipes every round that is fired. He bought another magazine and that does not help. He is firing factory ammo. I have taken it completely apart and cleaned it and can find nothing out of the ordinary. If you cycle by hand, it works perfectly. Any ideas where I might look next for the problem.

Thanks

sfvet

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

By stovepiping I assume the spent casings are the 1s that's stovepiping? Look at the ejector real close.

3. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

+1 that would be my call..

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It could also be the extractor letting the case go before it ejects. It's hard to say on a Luger without seeing it 1sthand.

5. sfguy

sfguy New Member

Thanks for the tips, I looked at the ejector and not having another one to compare it with and not having worked on many Lugers, I don't know what I should be looking for, if the ejector is the problem, why would it worked perfectly by hand? The fired case stovepipes against the front of the barrel and the unfired round is all cockeyed under it.

Thanks again

sfguy

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not conversant with lugers but it does sound like a weak ejector or the ejector is no longer servicable or very worn. i would suggest taking it to a competent gunsmith they might be able to tell if something is amiss. but that is the nature of really old weapons. some of em been around a very long time and you never know how many rounds been through it.

7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

One of the main problems with the Luger pistols is the ammo. Modern factory 9mm ammo is not loaded to the higher pressures that the Luger requires for proper functioning. The original 9mm Parabelum ammo in Germany was loaded to higher pressures for use in the sub-machine guns and Luger pistols. Have a gunsmith that knows Lugers look at it to make sure it is operating properly. If it is ok, then either try +P ammo or load your own ammo. You will have to work your loads up until it will function reliably. I had the same problems with my Lugers with factory ammo in years past, until I loaded ammo that would function the toggle action properly........Hope this helps.....

Jim................

8. superc

superc Member

NO it isn't the 9mm ammo. He already said the gun is a 30 Luger, not a 9mm. My suspicion would lean towards the magazine once the ejector is eliminated. Is it the original magazine for the gun, or is it an aftermarket? I base this on "the unfired round is all cockeyed under it..." If the feed lips aren't right, it's possible the unfired round is bumping the fired one during the ejection and reload cycle. It's been a few years since I have owned one of each caliber at the same time, but I do recall the magazines would fit in each gun, but were NOT interchangeable. Is it possible you have a 9mm magazine trying to feed a 7.65mm round?

9. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I overlooked the caliber when reading his post. Maybe I should wear my reading glasses next time..........................

Jim..........

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's a timing issue, or the extractor. If the extractor has the proper holding pressure and the magazine is eliminated as the problem, it must be timing.

Re-spring the gun to factory specs and go from there.

11. sfguy

sfguy New Member

Thanks for the tip, the pistol is in real good shape internally, he has tried a different magazine with the same result, I tend to lean that the slide is going back far enough to let the ejector kick the spent round from the extractor and strip the new round from the magazine but not going back with enough force or far enough to kick the spent round out of the way of the incoming round.
    I know that it has been stated in this thread that it is so and I have always thought so myself that the 30 cal and 9mm magazines are the same, but is it definitely so? I know that they will interchange in the pistol but are they the same internally in the mag?
    What springs do you suggest changing.
    I went to Numrich this morning and looks like they do not offer any Luger parts other than grips.
    Thanks
    sfvet

12. sfguy

sfguy New Member

Not my gun so I can't reload for it. I do think also that the ammo is the problem. I am thinking of taking a coil or two off the recoil spring and see if that would help. Where would be a good place to get a replacement spring? Is the any difference between a 9 MM and a 30 cal spring?

sfvet

13. shootingmad

shootingmad New Member

Spent cartride case isn't ejecting correctly? Sounds like a unserviceable ejector. Inspect it for wear on the front lip and cracks on the body.. is the ejector contacting the cartridge case correctly? If not that.. limp wristing the pistol maybe? Hold it tighter, the luger requires a fair bit of recoil to work the toggle and complete the cycle. I'll grab the luger at work and look for you. :)

14. sfguy

sfguy New Member

Luger mainspring

I have worked for 2 hours and cannot seem to get the mainspring back in. Do any of you have any idea on how this is done? Also someone mentioned to me that a 1916 Erfurt was not made in 30 Cal Luger do any of you know about this. None of the books that I have mention this.

sfnamvet