Luger 9mm won't chamber. Help

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by TeaBaggins63, Feb 2, 2014.

1. TeaBaggins63

TeaBaggins63 New Member

I tried to load my 9mm with hornady critcal defence. It wouldn't chamber. This is my second gun. First 9mm.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

What pistol?

When you field strip and remove the barrel can you drop a round in the chamber?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not trying to be cute, but is the problem that it will not FEED from the magazine, or that the round will not fully seat in the chamber and the bolt close?

If the problem is feeding, the P08 was made for a round nosed or truncated cone bullet, and it may just not like the shape of your bullets. not uncommon.

If the problem is chambering, make sure the Luger is 9mm Parabellum (early ones were in .30 Luger) AND that your ammo is 9mm Parabellum (aka 9mm Luger). There is more than 1 9mm. Second, make sure the chamber is clean- 9mms headspace off the case mouth- a little crud at that lip screw things up.

EDIT- I assumed you have a Luger- since that is what you posted. What gun DO you have?

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also was wondering if he had a Luger. But the odds are it's not. If it is and is .30 Luger, Houston, we've got a problem!

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

6. TeaBaggins63

TeaBaggins63 New Member

Lionheart lh9 it says 9mm para on the barrel. The box says 9mm luger. I showed my lgs my gun and asked for defense ammo. I loaded the mags just fine. Went to rack the slide bullet would not chamber. Saftey stripped the gun.

7. TeaBaggins63

TeaBaggins63 New Member

If this helps any

Attached Files:

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

9 mm Luger = 9 mm Parabellum, so the cartridge is correct.

Take a picture of the malfunction if you can get a clear view.

Did you get more than one magazine with the gun? If yes, does the problem occur with multiple mags?

The bullets may need to have a more rounded nose to feed. Try another brand of ammo.

While it does not have a fancy name, Remington JHP ammo in the green & gray box will feed in any semi auto I own.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would check to see if there is not shell casing in the chamber. Check to make sure you have the right magazine. The slide should pass through the feed lips. Like C3 said the gun might not function with HP ammo. Send me a PM if you are having problems finding 9mm FMJ ammo.

10. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

This may sound dumb and get me run out of here, but I will ask anyway: When you release the slide are you still holding on to the slide? I have seen people hold the slide so as to gently load the chamber, especially when handling a new gun. As you know, if you throw off the timing in the loading cycle the gun may have a failure to feed and/or other cycle related failures.

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

my suggestion: practice taking apart and reassembling your gun. it will not be that complicated. possible problem sounds like the magazine itself or perhaps it is not inserted all the way? (there should be a 'click' when it is fully seated). a lot of magazines say they accept 15 (or whatever) rounds but, especially when new, not easy to do. Try loading 5 rds in the mag and try

If you do all that, making sure the chamber is clear, any 9mm that won't take the Hornady JHP has an issue. It's basic stuff. send it back.

12. mahall

mahall New Member

Some guns are harder to chamber! The Springfield I just bought takes more force than other guns I own! But nevertheless you can see the gun trying to chamber on every pull! Is it trying to chamber or not at all? That's probably the difference in the gun being faulty or the person not using enough force!

13. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Not dumb and a fair comment since OP said it was his 2nd gun. We don't run people out of here for valid comments. Welcome to the forum!

OP: If you can strip the gun down, try simply putting a round in the chamber with just the barrel in hand. If the round fits reasonably, problem is probably feeding.

Also, if the gun is brand spanking new, it could have grease in it. Clean thoroughly and retest.

14. TeaBaggins63

TeaBaggins63 New Member

Round will not fit in barrel. Tip goes in but not fully. Itll try and feed the round but wont fit down barrel. It also comes cleaned from factory. Also not grannying the slide. Im taking ammo and gun to lgs now. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The oils used in the factory are preservatives not lubricants. Guns might sit on the shelf for years before someone buys it. Other things happen that slow the delivery of guns. Manufacturers are aware of these issues and they do all they can to make sure the gun you buy is not rusted or corroded in any way.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If the round won't freely drop in the chamber while you're holding the barrel (chamber up) then there's something wrong with the 9mm ammo or 9mm chamber. Maybe a split case that got stuck in the chamber.

Anyway, your LGS can figure it out if it's obvious. It could be an out of spec chamber but you'd hope that would be caught before it left the factory.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Did the gun come with a fired round? Usually in a little envelope. It is sent to show the gun was test fired. If it was not test fired at the factory you may have a bad chamber and the company has very poor quality control.

18. TeaBaggins63

TeaBaggins63 New Member

This gun came from the manufacture fully prepped and cleaned with froglube.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

best most of us have come up with Froglube isn't a preservative oil or lube. meaning it doesn't protect against rust. i hardly think they would use Froglube from the factory for a gun that could sit on the shelf for months before being sold.

20. TeaBaggins63

TeaBaggins63 New Member

Well...it does so not really sure what to tell you. And how exactly do you support that claim?