Lucas Gun Oil Has anyone else tried it ?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by MetalWolf, Oct 2, 2015.

1. MetalWolf

MetalWolf New Member

I'm trying out Lucas gun oil and was curious if anyone else is using it or tried it and what do you think about it.

I picked up a small bottle of it instead of my usual Remington oil as it was recommended by the counter guy who said he uses it on all his guns.

2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I havn't tried it, but we sell it at the shop. Have seen a few people buy it twice..so they must like it. The gun oil thing gets weird....You have the old timers with their secret family recipes, and voo-doo mixtures....:D. Including (but not limited to) snake snot / tulip juice / motor oil / trans fluid / ear wax / chain lube / graphite / sex wax / Albino toe jam / etc..........

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I personally didnt care for it . I lubed up a older rifle that belonged to my grandfather that see's little to no use and after a couple years of sitting in the back of the safe, the action kind of got sticky and gummy feeling . I dont use it on anything any more . I went totally to Mobile 1 synthetic for semi auto and bolt action lubricant . Another one of those crazy recipes ;)

4. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

I also prefer the crazy mix of Mobile 1 oil mixed with Mobile 1 airplane synthetic grease.

5. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Husqvarna Chain Saw Bar oil can take Alaska cold and Tropic heat. It can handle the wear of cords of wood and keep the chain running. It works great on arms exposed to extreme elements.:)

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Hoppe's Rem-oil, no need or snake oil, IMHO.

7. MetalWolf

MetalWolf New Member

I just seen it on the counter at the parts store and picked up a couple bottles so I wouldn't have to go to the big city and get some not much on having to go to the congested rat race just for a little gun oil so I figured I'll give it a try

8. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  9. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

If it kept me outta the city I would use it. Seems it does a helluva job on the 4x4 race trucks

10. MetalWolf

MetalWolf New Member

so far it seems to be okay haven't had any problems with it

11. Parnelli

Parnelli Member

I am on my fourth bottle, it works good

12. Artie1957

Artie1957 Member

It's the ONLY oil I use on my guns. Works great and no smell.

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Capt. I have to say that's a new one for me but makes perfect sense! It does not get dirtier or grittier than a chainsaw bar and chain! Plus bar oil has a tacky nature which helps keep it in place.
    But basically the function of lubrication is to eliminate friction thus reducing wear and tear. So most any decent oil should be adequate for the average user. Mobil 1 is used in race cars under extreme conditions as is bar oil but fact is for the average user Hoppe's, Rem oil (not 3 in one) works just fine. The issue is more rust prevention than lubrication.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Is this the same company that made electrical systems for British cars? AKA the Prince of Darkness.

15. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I'm not sure but the oil is made in the USA, but having dealt with British autos I hope not :p

16. Hurry1996

Hurry1996 New Member

Never heard of it. I generally use Ballistol for pretty much everything gun care related.

17. MetalWolf

MetalWolf New Member

well so far is has been working for me, with the exception of one old .22 which was in very poor condition in appearance otherwise its a good pinker.
    but more likely could be where I keep it in the shop exposed to the shop environment and the oil licking dust mites may have a taste for Lucas oils.
    seems to be the only riffle I have to oil regularly.

I have checked the safe stored firearms and have not seen any change in them and have not oiled them since I started this thread...But That really is not a passed test for the oil just because they are not being used or exposed to other conditions changes... although I don't see it being a total fail for a gun oil either.

I have a lot of mobile1 synthetic oil and Amsoil synthetic oil I may try on the old .22 in the shop and see how it fairs compared to.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I tried the sample tube of the Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil that came with my Sig P226. Since it comes packaged in a single use tube, with too much oil to possibly use on one firearm, I repurposed an old eye drop bottle, (Took the label off so I don't accidentally oil my eyeballs one day.), and pug the rest in that for future use. Also, because it came in the single use tube, I did get too much in the Sig. That stuff is super slippery. And it does have an odor, about like Mobile 1.

I did read an article about gun lives and substitutes, and Lucas makes a Marine lube and Marine grease that seem suspiciously similar to their gun products. The upside is that the Marine products come in larger volume containers for less. It seems that when lubes get marketed to the gun crowd they always like to jack up the price.

So, if you like the Lucas gun oil and grease, you may want to check your local boating supply place for a better deal on essentially the same products.

19. Artie1957

Artie1957 Member

It is still the only oil I will put on my guns. The people I have shown it to are still using it as well. You can use all the snake oils and concoctions you want. But I'm stickng with something that just plain works. I don't care how much it costs.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  20. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Mobil One is made for lubing tie rod ends on motor vehicles. I am not familiar with it as an FAA approved lubricant? :)