Lubricating brass

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Randyman59, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Randyman59

Randyman59 New Member

I just ordered a Lee turret single stage press and I see the kit comes with a tube of lube. I keep hearing that using the Lee Carbide dies, I don't need to lube. I will be loading 9mm exclusively.
    Tell me something different.
    Also, I see different posts about depriming brass BEFORE tumbling. Some do, some don't. I wonder if the walnut stuff would get stuck in the primer pocket?
    The kit comes with a hand tool for cleaning the pocket.

Help me out, guys...

2. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Don't remove the spent primer from your brass before you tumble. The matrix will clog the primer pocket and you'll be spending too much time cleaning that out. I use the Lee carbide dies and generally don't lube. It seems with only 9mm that some brass needs a little lube to get it sized. good luck

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, walnut gets into pockets. No, most carbide dies do not REQUIRE lube, but a little seems to make it much easier, and brass last longer. I use a smidge of alox spray on mine. Back in the day, we used to use a new ink stamp pad with no ink on it, put a few drops of lube on the pad, roll the brass by hand on the pad. Low tech, but it worked.

4. saitek

saitek New Member

die's

correct carbide need's no lubrication .if you deprime before tumbling you take a chance to plug the flash hole ,it just means you have to push it out or use compressed air it works .:) good luck

5. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I always tumble the brass first. Then clean out the primer pockets. If I'm using a powder that is really dirty I will throw the brass back into the tumbler to help clean up the primer pocket. I haven't had a problem with the primer pocket being clogged by the cleaning media but I use a single stage press and a hand primer so I'm always looking for any type of problems as I'm handling the brass.

6. Randyman59

Randyman59 New Member

Thanks, guys. I'm gonna enjoy my new hobby!!

7. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

A little bit of lube will make resizing easier. For my pistol loads I just use a little Hornady Unique wax on every 5 or 6th one.

8. jebsca

jebsca New Member

I think as you get the hang of loading, you will find what works for you. You will find people that think it is a waste of time to deprime and then tumble. You will also find people that think it is a waste of time to clean brass more than wipe it off with a rag. I tend to tumble, deprime, and tumble again. Then I clean the primer pocket, inspecting and cleaning out any stuck media. It does take longer, but I am happy with the results.