Lube

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by W. C. Quantrill, Jul 7, 2012.

1. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

What lube are you guys using on your semi autos?

I have been using Royal Purple synthetic gun oil for about 10 years and I am happy with it, anyone else tried it or using it?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

ARs I run synthetic motor oil. Sometimes Tetra Lube

M1A I run TW 25 grease.

AK I run anything that's handy.

.22 semi autos I run Rem-oil or Hoppes oil, or Tetra Lube since they seem light.

3. W. C. Quantrill

I have a quart of the little yellow capped grease pots I use on the Garand, but everything else gets the Royal purple synthetic, which I think, is just synthetic motor oil. I like it.

4. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I've always preferred a dab of grease. It picks up contaminates easier, but holds up longer.

I might try synthetic motor oil at some point, but I just don't have confidence in oil? Oil is great for light stuff, but it just doesn't hold up like grease. If it were up to me I would design all semi autos with grease fittings. :cool:

5. W. C. Quantrill

That Royal Purple stuff is tenacious as grease. It is like lithium grease, ya know the kind, ya get it on you and you can smear it around but you cant wipe it off?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use mobil 1 synthetic 30w. it doesnt burn off like gun oil does as it takes far more heat than a firearm produces for it to breakdown or burn up. most gun oils are very lightweight machine oils which are terrible, absolutely aweful, for running a firearm. rem oil is probably the worst gun oil ever put on the market and should only ever be used to oil a gun thats going to be put in a safe and even then it evaporates very quickly.

on my ccw i use tetra grease since im more concerened about getting oil all over my clothing than the grease burning off.

there are different kinds of lubricants for different purposes.

preservatives used to store guns and keep rust away. should never be used as an operating lubricant

cleaners like clp which does decent for general cleaning and preserving but again shouldnt be used for operating a firearm

then there is lubricants like grease or motor oil mixtures which are terrible at cleaning but excel at operating a firearm.

if you only have one "oil" or lubricant your doing your firearms a diservice. use the proper fluid for the activity at hand

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

A gift from Downsouth the last time we got together...
    And it works great.

ForumRunner_20120707_213132.jpg

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

+1 for the Mobil1 full synthetic motor oil 5w30. It doesn't dry up like the others.

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Moly grease on frame rails, clp or militec everywhere else

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Mobil 1 5W30 or Riglube +P (stainless steel lube). I like the dry lube for the AR's

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Cane's Mobil Mystery Oil.

12. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

On my AR 15 I've tried Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer it's 100% petroleum. Thick like honey and stays where you put it. I have Frog Lube on order also to try

13. angurvail

angurvail New Member

Frog lube > than all

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The German Army came up with Ballistol one hundred years ago. It still works they still use it.:)

15. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

Mobile 1 0w-20 same viscosity and characteristics as Mili-tec1 but a fraction of the cost.

16. W. C. Quantrill

I used Miltech when I could get it, I cant get it anywhere around here. It was good, I used it on the M14 when I was on the shooting team. Then I moved on, then I ran out. I cant knock it. But I was at the Compressor Institute, and they were giving away this Royal Purple oil, and so I tried it, and it is every bit as good as the Miltech if not better. I like how it puts a coat on that stays on. Because it was designed as a high heat, high pressure racing oil, it doesnt burn out.

17. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

When my quart runs out(not any time soon) I'm going to get 20w-50 Mobile1 because it is thicker at room temp and the same as Mili-Tec at higher temp. I think that it being thicker will help it stay where I put it.

18. W. C. Quantrill

I was in Jonesboro one time. I left Oakley Kansas in an Archer, dropped a fellow off at Wichita then on to Jonesboro to pick up an escaped prisoner. From Wichita to Jonesboro there is not many places that looked like a good place to land. I kept switching my wing tanks and I had Jonesboro on the screen but it was hazy and I could not see the runway, They could see me though and led me in. I taxied up to the gas pump and put 47 gallons in the 48 gallon tanks. I chained that little hood rat into the back seat and headed back for Oakley, but I landed in Great Bend and topped those tanks off. What a trip.

19. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

Sounds like you didn't get to see much of our little town.

20. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Where can a fella pick some of this up?