LRN vs FMJ, why the price difference?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by therhino, Oct 22, 2012.

1. therhino

therhino New Member

I've been shopping around for target ammo for the wife's 38 SPL revolver, and was curious why FMJ ammo tends to be slightly cheaper than LRN. Lead round nose seems like it'd be easier to manufacture, leading to cheaper rounds. What gives?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Probably hazmat shipping fees and more people buy fmj.

3. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

I would think that if more people bought FMJ then it would be more expensive. Supply and demand and all.

But I would like to know where you are getting copper jacketed that is cheaper than LRN. Every place I buy LRN is much less expensive, and the shipping is pretty much the same as copper jacketed and copper plated.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Supply and demand will drive the price, but high demand begets higher production to satisfy the demand. Higher production drives the per shot price down.

5. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

It makes sense yeah. But still from looking online HClead seems to be cheaper. Unless Im looking in the wrong places.

6. therhino

therhino New Member

The only source I have right now is my local Cabelas:
    Magtech LRN is 18.99/box (though currently on sale for 17.99), and FMJ is 17.99/box.
    Winchester White Box is 21.99 for either.
    Selier&Beliot is 19.99/box for LRN, 18.99/box for FMJ.

It's not a universal truth, just something I was curious about.

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

If a factory has to halt production of a popular product (FMJ) to make a product of lesser popularity (LRN), it may effect the manufacturer's cost of the more popular product (FMJ) so even though it may be a less expensive product to manufacture, they will instead tack that loss (due to lack of production) onto the cost of the lesser popular product (LRN).

Make sense?

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe much ot it has to do with the "war on lead." The gummint has issued a whole batch of regs concerning lead.

9. Shade

Shade New Member

Try www.luckygunner.com they have fast shipping and good service, their emails are a bit excessive.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  10. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

Remember back when they started putting diesels in pick up trucks. Diesel being just very light oil is way cheaper and less time consumming to refine than gasoline. There fore shouldnt it it be way cheaper like it used to be.

11. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

There are two reasons it is more expensive. One the taxes on diesel are higher. Two the additions of things to make it less harmful to the environment increase the cost of refinement.

Look at the price of offroad diesel.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

??? :confused:

I only pay $10 per 500 for LFP, FMJ is close to $30 per 100?? (.30 cal)

13. locutus

what are you buying??

I buy .30 cal Remington 147gr FMJ for ~$17/hundred

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Where is that??? :eek:

Mine are Horandy 150 gr FMJ...

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

He is talking about bullets not loaded cartridges. I load my own in 38spl. I buy the Rainier plated for practice at $110 per 1000 + shipping. Add primers which went through the roof and powder and it cost about $10 for 50 rounds. I buy primers and powder locally because of hazmat fees. If you buy bulk, you can find loaded fmj's for about $15 for 50. 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot. It does not even pay to load 9mm fmj unless you want something special.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Winchester white box 38 Spl, FMJ, is typically about 130 grain. IIRC, this is overrun of the .38 Special ammo made for the US military. Yes, military still uses a .38 revolver.

17. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Really? Why? I thought those disappeared in 1911...... :confused: :)

18. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Which one and where?

19. locutus

Hornady,Speer, Sierra will always cost 50-75 percent more than Remington or Winchester.

E-mail Remington and ask them where their nearest dealer is to your location that sells bulk packs of 1,000 bullets. Or check the bigger online sources, like Midway, Natchez, etc.

20. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I usually buy bulk ammo from georgia arms and there stuff works great for me. Depending on where you live if you spend a certain amount the shipping is free. For me if i spend $400 shipping is free. I usually buy once or twice a year but i buy alot, around 4000 rounds. Hope this helps.