Lower receiver recommendations?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by nickel1911, May 23, 2013.

1. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Hello all..
    I've recently decided that I'd like to try my hand in an AR build. I own several weapons and have modified every one of them in one form or another with favorable results. I feel confident that I'll be able to accomplish this build. I plan on taking my time with this project and I'd like to use all quality parts. I've been eyeing a stripped spikes tactical lower receiver. From what I understand, spikes makes quality parts. Are there other lower receivers that you all would consider to be of higher quality? Or are they more or less all the same quality? Thanks in advance for any advice and insight

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

I primarily use bcm and rra lowers.

I really like the rra lowers they are at the upper end of max milspec and very uniform. Whoever is producing them for rra is doing a damn fine job for them as the builds i have with the rra lowers lock up tight as hell on the lower and upper.

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Me likey my RRA lower.

4. combateffective4

combateffective4 New Member

I would consider noveske better I love my noveske build...

I built another lower today and I have another parts kit coming Tom... I am very disappointed in NFA lowers I had to do way too much dremeling on it nothing fit correctly it was such a head ache... As fit rra i've heard there good but I very much disliked the parts kit I got from them the trigger has to be close to 10lbs the detents do not work i'm gonna switch it all out... Unfortunately

Aroe has there lowers for 100$ for the scratch dent ones

Head they make most the markets lowers for spikes and others i've heard

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'd spend more energy and money on the barrel and the BCG. There are so many good-enough lowers that this particular part doesn't seem all that important to me, at least if you are building an all-purpose, general-use defense rifle.

Just get one from a known company and get on with your build.

Just my 2 cents...and it's only worth a penny!

6. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be looking into rra and bcm. I've owned a m&p psx for a couple of years now. Out of box it was tight as could be. After I initially broke it down I noticed it had the slightest play between the receiver and upper. I purchased a small red rubber plunger ( can't remember the name of it off hand) and placed it in the receiver. Instant fix. Back to being extremely tight. I was worried that it would wiggle itself loose and cause a malfunction but fast forward a couple of years and she's still running flawless.

7. combateffective4

Bcm is awesome the build I did today has abm upper it is very accurate and highly recommend by many ppl

ForumRunner_20130523_231704.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_231724.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_231732.jpg

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The Spikes lower is fine, as are most others as long as they're made from 7075 T6 alloy. But the lower allows you to make a statement about your build so I'd suggest throwing in a little more to get something you really like. Check out the lower receiver sticky, you might see just the ticket.

Of the four forged lowers I've used the S&W M&P-15 is the best. I've used a QUentin Defense billet too, very nice.

9. combateffective4

They have there 16 in uppers in stock I believe

No hand guard standard A style sight/gas block

Bcm is a battle rifle

YHM also has some good stuff

10. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

As I'm making this a long time project, I'm not too concerned with budget. I'll have time to save money between ordering the different parts.

11. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Very nice build! That paint job is awesome

12. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Thanks Quentin! I wasn't aware of the lower sticky. I'll check it out

13. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I'm definitely going to spend time and energy on all of the components. As this is my first build, I want to put as much thought in it as possible. Keep me busy for a while

14. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Thanks again guys. Great suggestions. The lower receiver sticky is a great resource. Just made my choice more confusing! Lol. Looks like most of these receivers are on indefinite back order also. This build will keep me busy for quite some time. This is going to be fun!

15. combateffective4

i think first what type of build do you want to build first... M16 style, match rifle,long range rifle, battle rifle ... ect i think ar 15 builds are mens barbies, thats usually how i start my builds. next build is gonna be my most high end match grade build have all the pistol parts coming in with in a week or so

16. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I'm thinking more along the lines of a lightweight high end battle rifle. I'd like to keep it streamlined, as my m&p weighs a ton. It was my first ar so I went a little overboard on the accessories lol.. It's fun to shoot though

17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Handled and built quiet a few lowers. These are my order from cheapest to expensive or least preffered to wanting it so bad. :)
    Spike's, Mega Arms, Noveske & BCM.

18. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Thanks okdonk. I went to my lgs the other day and they had two lowers in stock. The spikes lower and USA tactical lower. I carefully looked over both (as the spikes cost $150 and the USA tactical cost $395?), trying to find a difference in quality and was unable to do so. I admit, i'm looking through untrained eyes. I've owned an M&P AR for about 3-4 years now and that's the extent of my experience the AR as a whole. What is it about some lowers that set them apart from others? What justifies an $245 price difference between lowers that (again to my untrained eyes) seem to be identical except for the stampings and logos? I definitely want to build on a solid platform, so if BCM, RRA or Noveske are the way to go, that's what I'm going with... But why?

19. brettc

brettc New Member

I have 3 spikes lowers and I loved building on them, yes I love the rollmark so I am a little bias. But overall a solid lower to accommodate any type of build.