Lower For Build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 1911love, Oct 2, 2013.

1. 1911love

1911love New Member

What stripped lower would be the best starting point if I ever decided to sell my build? I typically don't sell any of my weapons, but if I ever have to I want to get the maximum resell value.

I'm familiar with the AR platform and have a 6920. I'm only interested in forged. I only plan on using top tier internals and a top tier upper, so I'm only looking for advice on the stripped lower.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Why only forged? Why not billet?

3. 1911love

1911love New Member

I've never built one, so I want my first to be forged like the MIL rifles. The billet lowers look funny to me, maybe they will grow on me. I guess for subsequent builds I will definitely consider a billet lower.

I'm surprised none of the AR experts have replied yet! Where you guys at??? Tiki, Quentin, Sweeper, JonM, Pure, etc.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Colt, LMT, Noveske, LaRue, Knights. Thes would probably fetch top dollar, but some of those folks don't sell their lowers stripped or only sell/sold them in extremely limited numbers. So, you'd have to find one parted out or an old run.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hey brother heres the deal , right now billet lowers arent making a rifle bring a huge premiums . That high end market is soft . Colt lowers always bring a premium in the forged market . High end uppers are stable . Noveske , Knights Armament , Wilson, LaRue , Daniel Defense , Les Baer .
    But in all honesty your paying big for the name .
    I would buy a BCM, PSA or Rainier Arms for a hell of alot less and have as good of quality rifle as any of them .
    If your talking about precision accuracy buy a Keieger and be done .
    Remember you can take any rifle and dress it up anyway you want it to look .
    I have a few billet lowers on my want list but I just cant bring myself to buy one and actually put it to use . So much money and I use my rifles alot and they arent beautiful anymore . Just hate to do that to a beauty . If it was going to be a safe queen yeah maybe :confused:
    Just pick the roll mark you like best and go with it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. 1911love

1911love New Member

I've seen Colts, but they are a rip off at the price people ask. Do KAC and Noveske sell stripped lowers? I've already got some S&Ws, I just want my first to be special and have as much value as possible. Would you guys rate BCM and LaRue up there as far as resell value compared to KAC and Noveske? Do BCM and LaRue sell stripped lowers?

I know where the true value is, the internals. I just want a starting place that is super premium and special to me. Also, would it be best to just buy another 6920 and part it out? Thanks for the help so far guys.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Special to you may not be special to someone else on resale . So build it with the roll mark you like and with the parts you like .
    Wanna sell one of them S&W lowers ?
    I think BCM only sells them as a built lower . Noveske yes. But I would find a older non chain saw lower .

8. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Armalite sells the lowers, if you can get them. The problem you might run into irregardless, is that if you try to resell your build, the odds are the shade of black will be different between the upper and lower, which will give the buyer the indication it is a home build, and not a factory rifle. My suggestion is if you are building with a possible future re-sale in mind, is to strip both the upper lower, and buttstock tube if it is a carbine, of anodizing or whatever coating, and send them out to be coated together so you will have a matched set. As you add furniture (Handguards, pistol grip, buttstock), if they are not purchased as a set, set them aside and paint them so that the shade will be the same.

9. 1911love

1911love New Member

This I had not thought of. I don't intend to sell the rifle, I just want a rock solid starting point. I do intend to get a Spikes Calico Jack lower and maybe try a billet later. I want my first to be a dream come true, if that makes sense. So far it's looking like a 6920 is getting parted out.

Please keep the info coming guys, it's really helping.

10. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

You never Build or Purchase with the intent of selling.

All Forged Mil-Spec Lowers are built with whatever Tolerances, that Manufacturer uses. If it's out of Spec by .05, but still within Mil-Spec, well it's still In-Spec, even though it might not match up with the Upper you're using.
    Also you'll find that the Anodized Coatings might not match up with another Manufacturer's Color. So what then?
    I would at least stay with Same Manufacturer, so at least the Upper/Lower Colors match up.

PSA, BCM, Knights, Spikes, Noveske, CMMG are a few I would look at.
    Del

11. 1911love

1911love New Member

I don't want to sell any of my 81200s. Are S&Ws hard to get now? Why an older Noveske lower? I wouldn't want a blemmed lower, so no chain saw anyhow.

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

Thanks. Someone else mentioned the color issue also, I can't believe I hadn't thought of this. Do you know if KAC sells stripped lowers?

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Most important parts of your build are your barrel and bolt.

If you are looking for a lower, check out Quentins sticky post pictures of lowers. The best ar15 lower is really a matter of opinion but I'd get a Ax4n or if you can find one a Magpul. Since I brought up stickies read the other stickies and figure out whta ur really looking for.

14. 1911love

1911love New Member

Tiki, I realize what the important parts are. What I'm trying to figure out is what would be the top, best choice. If I have to part out a 6920 I will, but if KAC or Noveske would bring the same "respect" I'm cool with that too.

I'm only concerned about this for my first build. After this one, I'll just pick the roll marks I like. What is the deal with the Ax4n and the Magpul?

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

ahhh yes the calico lower , Someone had blemished ones for sale for cheap . I will see if I can find it

16. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Now I am getting confused. The verbage led me to believe that you wanted the option of getting the most return on your money in the event you chose to sell, so I presented my perspective based on experience.

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ax4n is a billet ar15 style, very expensive but featues great style and ambidexterous controls.

The magpul was a billet limited run production. Very rare and very expensive and hard to find.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

For my precision accuray builds I use rra lowers simply because they adhere to the tighter end of milspec.

I also like the bcm lowers

For uppers this is what I used in my precision ar15 coupled with a krieger barrel
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1611

I'm not normally a fan of billet but you can't get this kind of precision fit with a forged upper.

19. 1911love

1911love New Member

I don't mean to confuse. I don't want to sell the rifle, but if I ever had to I'd want the most amount possible. That was my first thought, and second I wanted the "best" brand as my roll mark. This is my first build, so I'm pulling out all the stops.

No one has said if KAC sells stripped lowers and apparently Noveske stripped lowers are like unicorn steak. So far I'm leaning towards just parting out a 6920. I'd rather not break up a perfectly good 6920, that's why I'm trying to see if there is any stripped lower that would stand beside a Colt stripped lower for my purposes.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

20. 1911love

1911love New Member

Someone else said BCM doesn't sell stripped lowers. Did you get one or did you part out a rifle?