Low pro 16

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by ARrgv, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

Just bought a DPMS lo pro 16 with a bull barrel. Looking to use hornady 55 grain ammo I want 1 inch moa at 200yds! Any recommendations? Maybe heavier grain?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What barrel length and twist? 1" at 200 yds is 1/2 MOA, for an AR that's a tall order for factory ammo and a stock DPMS...

3. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

16 barrel and 1-9 twist, what do you think?

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not sure you will ever get 1/2 MOA with a 16" barrel but try either 62gr or 55gr to start and see what groups tighter, if it is the .62gr try the next weight up until you find the optimum loading for the gun. Sorta like the law of diminishing returns, keep going heavier until the accuracy starts to be reduced. Don't start out with the cheap bulk stuff, get some good Lake City or similar brands. BTW, is the barrel .223, 5.56 or Wylde. For best results for distance try to match the ammo with the chambering. You can use .223 in a 5.56 but accuracy will suffer slightly and you aren't leaving a lot of room for error.

5. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

Stamped for .223 or 5.56 on lower, looking at horandy tap

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

All AR lowers are multi-cal, what is the barrel chambered for?

Hornady is kinda pricey for target practice but hey, it's your money..:rolleyes:

7. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

5.56x45 is the chamber, I want to use it to hunt varmints I do not plan to burn clips of ammo.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Oh ok, sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were just looking to do some longer range plinking. Hornady makes some good varmint ammo...just don't go too light with the 1:9, 55gr down to the high to mid 40's...anything lighter might spin apart...

9. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

Hornady makes a .223 match grade 75 grain bthp, and the same specs in a TAP line also