low priced handguns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by WarrenPTstud, Feb 4, 2013.

1. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

I'm looking for a centerfire handgun. Specifications are: under $400, range of at least 20 yards and capable of taking down anything from an intruder to a coyote or deer

2. TexasRog

TexasRog New Member

You're about 2 month too late. Most of the firearms dealers have raised their prices, and if you did find one, there would be no ammo to feed it. I checked at Academy and what they had was too big for conceal carry, or there was no ammo for it. I try to be pro active, rather than re active. Good luck on your search. Oh, I did see some revolvers that were reasonably priced, and by the way..they are fairly accurate...or as accurate as you are..

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

357 Revolver. I saw Bud's had a Ruger GP-100 for $385... when it was in stock.

5. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

I am a good shot, IMHO. 95% of the time I hit exactly where I want, the other 5% is usually rushing through rounds. Without being self-conceited I believe I could do the takedown.

6. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

Is the Arcus-94 a decent gun? I saw it in the link posted above for a very decent price and read a review saying it was a deal for the price. Any comments on this??

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  7. ScottA

Are you sure it's "arco"?

8. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

Lol it is arcus I made a typo and went back and fixed it my bad guys

9. ScottA

I think that is one of the Hi-Power clones. I picked one up at a gun show once. I didn't really care for the feel.

10. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

This will be a temporary throw around gun until I have the money for a better handgun, which I have not started looking for yet. Will be a year or so before I can get a better one

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, I'd spend more and get one of the 1911s, for your first. Only $300 and you get a wonderful piece that will probably last you a lifetime.

I won't knock the Hi power clone because I've not shot or handled one, but I've come to trust Sarco and anything they offer so I'd confidently buy one.

But I am a willing victim in such things, gladly leaping in head first just because they seem unpopular or looked down upon. I've found many gems looking where others' noses don't allow them to see.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Then yes, were I you I'd jump on it and cross your fingers. Most would tell you not to touch. If you want something cheap but functional and proven reliable get a HiPoint.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/48342/hi-point_34510___45acpp_45acp_9rd_polymer

They're ugly but they go bang and have lifetime warranty and are under 200 brand new!

13. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

My dad owned a highpoint a few years ago. We literally drove nails in with it but it's a little to heavy for what I am looking at, it is my second option though they are all American made in Ohio. I have also been looking at star model B's which are rubbing around $225 on sarco and have good reviews on YouTube. From what I've been looking at they would be a good choice for a low price pistol.. I am not familiar with the 9mm parabellum round though which all of these imports seem to take.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

9mm parabellum is just 9mm, or 9mm nato, or 9x19mm... aka 9mm. The most common centerfire handgun round known. The Star model B is a great gun, as are all stars. I own two Firestars in 9mm and 45acp and they are flawless. Great guns!

15. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

While on the topic is there a difference between that and a 9mm luger? I'm sorry if I am asking dumb questions while I know a decent deal of handgun knowledge I do not know very much

16. ScottA

Same thing. It's not known for being a hunting round.

17. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

I know a few people that have killed with one though. While going through kemo my dad went with one a killed a doe with it. I do not plan on pushing the limits and shooting far just something to have to shoot up close or if I do happen to make a bad shot or one of the guys I hunt with do I can put an animal out of its misery.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

A 9mm would suffice just fine for your purpose then.

19. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

You can still scout decent deals on the less expensive pistols....here's a few off the top of the noggin:

-Taurus PT709, 809, 24/7 all in 9mm
    -Ruger P94
    -EAA Witness

All in my opinion decent pistols for the money. Maybe Not the best, but far from the worst

20. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

And some of the lower end 1911's like RIA in 45acp