Low powered scope + night vision

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ShagNasty1001, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'm looking to take off my 3-9x40 scope off my AR and put on either a 1-4x24, a 4x32 or a red dot scope plus a night vision sight for hog hunts at night and coyote hunting. Any recommendations on both and best combos?

2. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

EOTECH has a NV setting on alot of their red dots

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

How much are those running?

4. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Anywhere from $250 (no nv) to upwards of $500

Never Forget.

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Is that without NV? I can get an EOtech for about 330 brand new from my job so I'd really just want to know about the NV part if I went that route. Do they have them with a magnifier and decent eye relief? I had a sight mark magnifier and hated it

6. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

No I'm just trying to say that generally the cheaper models don't have NV. They do come with the magnifiers as a package deal but only when specified. Eye relief on the magnifiers is very good and they are fully compatible with the NV on the holo.

Never Forget.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Why not just get a NV magnified optic?

8. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Good point it'd be a lot cheaper, that is unless you want the capability to switch magnified or not.... Anyway, why not just use IR? Some of the new gen stuff is plain amazing.

Never Forget.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Please note that even tho these sights have night vision settings, these setting only make them compatible with nightvision. You will need a seperate nightvision unit.

10. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'm looking to use it as a day/night optic and those that I have found so far are just a little out of my price range at the moment. I'm looking more towards a grand tops as my limit

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What Gen NV are you wanting? There are Magnified NV optics out there for around $400. That would leave you w/ $600 for a RDS. Just switch back and forth. You're wanting it for night hunts. You're not humping all day and night and need both options, correct?

12. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

I just put a Leatherwood/Hi-Lux CMR 1-4x24 on my 300 BLK SBR, it has an illuminated reticle with a NV setting.

[​IMG]

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Nice BLK.

So what would he use for NV?

14. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Correct. I just want a quick detach NV or one with both options so I can toss it on at dusk for hunts and remove it for target shooting and what ever other need I'd use it for in the day time. And nothing super fancy. I'm new to the NV side of sights and have no idea what I'm looking for

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'd go to opticsplanet and look at different NV scopes then google the model to check prices. For day hunts I'd get a separate optic of your choosing. As far as I know when you start getting into devices that'll mount in front of or behind a day time optic to make it a NV optic you're looking at spending a ton of money.

16. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Alright I'll for sure check it out. Thanks for the help

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

18. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Yeah that's a little out of my price range. I was looking at the ATN Aries MK390 though

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

We touched on this earlier but in his OP it was mentioned that he wanted to stay under $1k.

20. unicorn

unicorn New Member

Guys, i believe i found in OP a unit similar to ATN Aries MK390 Armasight Orion. In fact, they don't differ too much except the possible magnification. I don't own either of these but it seems like reviews are positive.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013