Love the 500, but should I buy the SXP instead?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by znviper6, Nov 26, 2013.

1. znviper6

znviper6 New Member

I've always loved the Mossberg 500....its a great gun that I have a lot of experience with since it was my father's favorite. I'm now in the market for a shotgun, mostly for grouse and occasionally duck hunting.
    I would be very happy with a 500 and that's what I was going to get at first. Then I stopped by my local Gander MTN and held the Winchester SXP. And man did it feel good. The slide was like butter and it just felt right to me.

Is there any real reason I should not get the SXP over a 500? I know there isn't as much aftermarket support for the SXP but I really doubt ill do any modifying to it. I'm looking for cold hard facts. Thanks!

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The SXP is made in Turkey - not that there is anything wrong with that - and is FN/Winchester's third attempt to replace the venerable Model 12 with a gun with anywhere close to the appeal and durability. The Mossberg 500 trails only the Remington 870 among popularity of all the civilian arms ever made since the dawn of time. I prefer the feel of the Remington, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the 500. Jury is still out on the SXP.

3. znviper6

znviper6 New Member

Glad to hear you've had god luck with yours Axxe. Im hoping to find myself an SXP that I can shoot before I buy one. If it shoots the way i'd like it to then i'll probably go with that. From what i've been reading people have been having good experiences. Eventually i'll still end up with a 500 in addition to the SXP :)

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

If you like Mossberg I would recommend the Mossberg 930. I've always been a Remington 870 guy until I shot my lieutenant's 930. I'm hooked!

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Both are good choices. I think the SXP has been around long enough to tell. Reasons to choose the Moss: 1.Top slide safety 2. Parts are everywhere, including extra barrels 3.Made in the US. For the Win: 1.Smooth, well fit slide action 2.Cross trigger safety (if you like that)

Nothing will tell you like shouldering and dryfiring both, back to back if possible. There are intangibles such as pointing, balance, the buttpad feel, etc. I have never fired an SXP Defender, but I have owned an SX2, and would expect the same good quality. I'd go with the SXP today, that's my opinion.

6. orlando_marquez

orlando_marquez New Member

If the SXP action is anywhere compared to the older 1300's.... its a great buy.

As far as 500's, I've heard great things about them from actual owners. Lots of products out there if you want to customize it.

ForumRunner_20131127_152523.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  7. JW357

JW357 New Member

OP,

I'd like to welcome you to the forum. Please swing by the Introduction area when you get the chance.

Good luck in your decision on the scattergun.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I really like the safety location on the Mossberg.

Whatever you do, don't buy it at GooseBump; support a local gun shop or order online to a local FFL.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The SXP is the latest rendition of the 120/1200/1300/FNP. You will be hard pressed to find a faster stronger action ANYWHERE. If I were in the market for another pump shotgun this would be my first (and probably only) stop.

10. gvw3

gvw3 New Member

I wouldn't buy any gun made in Turkey. They don't allow their own citizens to own many of the guns they produce in that country. Are they good guns? I don't care.

Get a Mossberg 500. You can't go wrong with this low cost American made shotgun.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You'd be hard pressed to come up with a convincing argument as to why the SXP is better than the Mossberg, so I'd go with the Mossberg for the reason above.

12. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

If you're happy and familiar with the Mossberg then I don't see any reason to get anything different. That being said, there isn't any harm in trying something different. And you could do a lot worse than the SXP.

13. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

If you think you will only buy one shotgun....ever....then buy one that has the best features and feel that you like. But when you buy a Mossberg, or the Remington 870 you can pretty much be assured that whatever you need for your gun will always be available, from several sources. And if and when your needs change, what you need will be available to facilitate that change. My 500 has been a clay gun, a home defense gun and a JIC gun. It's all there if you want it. That being said, My next shotgun just may be a Winchester SXP. The only purchase I am sure about is a larger safe.

14. znviper6

znviper6 New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'll always love the 500 and I will buy one eventually. Because of what my intentions for the gun are, I feel I will enjoy the smooth action and general feel of the SXP over the 500. My goal in this thread was to make sure there was no "Deal Breaking" reasons to NOT get the SXP. And so far I haven't heard anything. I love the safety on the 500 but most long guns have a safety like the SXP so it isn't really a downside.
    Thanks again! Now if only tax season would hurry up and get here I could buy the dang thing :)

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It's not how the gun feels out of the box. Pump shotguns break in, just like semi auto pistols. After 250 rounds there probably won't be an ounce of difference in the two guns. Mossberg hasn't sold 10 million 500's because they are junk shotguns.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a Winchester SXP Defender model with the 18.5" barrel that i bought a couple of years ago. and so far after about 700-800 rounds later, it's still going great with not any problems. has digested everything i have fed it with not one issue to date.

i bought it mainly for a SD/HD shotgun, but it gets used as a knock around gun when i go to the woods.

yes it's made in Turkey, but seems to be very well made and solidly built. is it as good as a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870? well only time and more rounds later will be the teller of that. but so far, it's going great and works well for my needs and purposes.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  17. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

Try to find a used 1300 in the $200 range. I have a older 120 model 20g that is at the front of the safe for clays. But if buying new I'd get a Mossberg. American made, parts are available. I have a 870 express mint and I'd give it up for a mossberg 500 right now.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If y'all need more convincing, let me give it a go;

The 1300/SXT is the strongest action made. Rotary bolt lock up to the barrel extension (something you AR shooters will understand).

Trigger group is the easiest and (IMHO) the best on the market. Shell stops are a part of the trigger group and come out as one unit.

Safety blocks the hammer like you AR. (the 870 and 500/590 block the trigger).

Spring loaded bolt/carrier makes for fast reloads.

AFAIK, all 1200/1300 parts and accessories interchange.

Yeah, Turkey is not the USA. Mexico is not the USA either. Many (if not most) 870 and 500 parts are made in Mexico. They are assembled in the USA. If you have a big problem with this, take your new SXT apart and (re)assemble it in the USA. :)

Turkey is one of our strongest allies in the middle east. They have been very cooperative in our war on terror

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I am old enough to remember when the original model 12 was on the market. A few of my friends bought them. I got to shoot plenty of Model 12's. They were smooth shooting guns. They were inexpensive and they had a following. But both the 500 and the 870 out sold the Model 12.

I used to shoot an 870 until the express came along. Then the quality of Remington products across the board went downhill. So I was left with a Mossberg. I have run thousands of rounds through my Mossbergs. I have had one malfunction in all this time in my 20 ga. A shell popped out of the magazine before the shell carrier came down to catch it. That could have been my fault, I probably didn't push the shell all the way into the magazine. I have never been able to duplicate the malfunction. None of 12 ga shotguns have malfunctioned. I shoot a shotgun a lot more than your average shooter. I have worn out one Mossberg product. I shot a Westernfield shotgun so much the firing pin block wore out.

Shotguns are simple beasts. They don't need a rotary block to function well. They have been locking up well for millions of shots without a rotary block. You say the Winchester is the fastest gun on the market. I really doubt that it is any faster than any other pump on the market. I have shot both 870 and 500 shotguns so quick no one could count the shots. I am talking about aimed shots at doubles, not just shooting the gun in the air. How can the Winchester be any faster?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Shorter stroke maybe? :confused: