Lost Winchesters in the Arizona Desert??!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Trez, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Road trip!!!! How are you at guiding Trez and/or Nitrox???

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

A ploy to boost tourism in the area perhaps? :rolleyes:

4. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Interesting. We should get a few people together and go find them. If we are lucky, we might find some Mexican drug runners or gang members while we're at it :cool:

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Is this anything like the terrible boating accident and all the guns at the bottom of the ocean somewhere?

6. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Once we find the Winchesters, maybe we can go after Victorio's lost gold.

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Nope. Came across this......

Ye Olde ATF, in an attempt to track those dagnabbed rattlesnake gun smugglers, allowed the sale of a bunch of Winchesters, headed for the Badlands.

Apparently, a cowpoke made several illegal "hay purchases" at a trading post, swapping beef jerkey and chawin tabaccy for these furley dangerous guns.

Cain't findem now.

8. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Even if they were discovered, their condition is likely very terrible. I highly doubt they were sealed for the elements, and given the time they've spent out in the desert I would say they are nothing but rust and dust.....

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I'm in. Do you have the map? Coordinates? We can use my GPS.

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

So is this the forerunner to Project Gunrunner? :p

Im in, its not too far from where I live.... But one hell of a 4x4 trip, I gotta start savin gas!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Me too!!!!!!!

12. OC357

OC357 New Member

Interesting story. I'll bet it would be still worth some bucks if you could get it all out.....wagon and guns and rust and splinters all together. But I am suspect that the guys family that stashed the stuff back in 1900 didn't get it or the soldier that found it afterwards and no one knows if he went back. If it were me nothing would have stopped me from going back......nothing!

As an afterthought, if I was going to look around in the desert for something, it would be for the "Lost Dutchmans Mine" in the Superstitions......if that even exists. (probably make more money selling fake treasure maps though)

I absolutely love a good story though like this one.

Just some thoughts.

OC

13. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

I have a metal detector we could use.

14. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

FTF off-road camping trip?

15. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I've seen a few guns that were found in the desert. Some are rusted beyond repair. some just need a good oiling but most of the wood has been sandblasted down a third the original size.

16. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Better find the Winchesters first

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I aint pokin around in the mountains of Arizona. There are still a ton of crazy ass old prospectors in them there hills.

18. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

You had better bring more then a few people. Lived here in for over 30yrs and have heard of different tails growing up. Some gold/silver/rifles shipments lost or stolen by Indians.

The one that I love the most is the 2 crates of Winchester 1894 rifles that were found in one of PD's Company Stores, still in the wrapings and covered in the oil/grease that they were shipped in.

19. Phrenzy

Phrenzy New Member

I would have thought the desert would be the best place for them to be as lo as the cave their in doesn't flood in a one in a hundred year rain storm.

Just think dead sea scrolls, nothing but coW hide in open clay jars and you could read them 2k years later.

20. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Crated in a cave is a good environment, dry, fairly stable environment I say if they exist and are out there they are in good shape.