Lost Guns.....

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Cory2, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I don't know where to put this so i just put it here because this seemed like the closest thing to what im talking about.

I had a ruger 10-22 and a Remington 572 (that i got from my grandfather). During a series of very close together moves between houses they managed to turn up missing, this happened a few years ago and I have asked everyone that could have possibly turned up with them if they had them and everyone has told me no. I suspect that one of my friends dad, who went kinda psycho at this time period too shortly after i lived there for a short while, may have had them and either still has them or pawned them. He denies having them and I don't have the serial number on either of the firearms as well i got the 10-22 when i was underage (my mom got it for me for my 15th bday) and the 572's paperwork has been long gone as it is about 17 years old now.

Basicly what I am wanting to know is what should I do about it? Keep in mind these firearms have been missing for about 3 or so years now and the police where never alerted to the situation as I didn't want them harrasing my friends and stuff. A poor decision in retrospect as together that was around 800 dollars basicaly. If my friends father did have them and pawned them is there any way I could possibly track them down? Would the police have a record of the serial numbers on the firearms? Or am i pretty much just screwed out of 2 rifles?

2. SecPro

SecPro New Member

My thought is that you're pretty much screwed! You must always keep track of serial numbers etc. It always helps if something were to happen. Not sure if TN keeps track of firearms stuff like that, maybe someone else can chime in with a bit more assistance on that.

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed...pretty much. :(

[​IMG]

4. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

that makes me very :( and :mad: ... I think i will call up my buddy who's father is suspect and .. well... stir up some @#$% to be blunt.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

If you know where and by whom the rifles were purchased and approximately when, a nice pie for a gunshop owner might find you those serial numbers in their lil bound book, maybe possibly perhaps. Then you could report them stolen, announce such reporting to the suspect, and thus deny him/her free and easy use of the firearms.

Alternatively, it is flaming poo bag season. :D

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You're doomed!!!!!!!!

Good luck. ;)

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

This is a good reminder folks.

I have several copies of photos of my hardware. Including the S#s

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

If you had pics and/or serial#'s of there you might have a chance of seeing them again. But with no real way of saying therse rifles where yours you really have no way of saying you ever owned them in the first place. I always take a picture of all my firearms and write down the serials and keep this information in a few different ways just to make sure I have this info in case I need it. Just like everything else the second you are not prepared for something it's bound to happen (damn Murphy!).

I hate to hear about stuff like this especially if the firearms where handed down through family. But I can't see any way of you seeing them again outside the outside chance someone brings them back to you.:(

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Three years out? You are probably screwed. W/in a year you could explain away as trying to insure they were actually gone. Pawn records online do not go back more than a year. I hate to say this but, blow it off.

10. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Jeez you're lucky you don't live over here, you'd be enjoying accomodation courtesy of the State right now for losing firearms like that..

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1, Take pictures
    2, Written description, to include make, model, serial number
    3, Burn to a CD
    4, KEEP THE CD SOMEWHERE ELSE. Your desk at work. Your Dad's Sock Drawer. Do a CD for your best friend, you keep his, he keeps yours.

Frankly, with the time lapse- yer screwed. My advice- not that you asked for it- For a relatively small $$ amount, you learned a valuable lesson. Now, keep that information to your self. Making an accusation without proof (and you have not told us anything that begins to approach the definition of proof) is not going to do a thing but start a fight. Let it go, and remember to keep crazy people at a distance.

Lesson I learned from my dad- if there is something you really want to keep, put it in your pocket, or put a lock on it.

Items 1-4 above are not just for some jerk swiping a gun- but when your house catches fire- or like me, a tornado tears up your house, and you want to file a claim with your homeowner's insurance, you are going to need proof that you DID have them.

PS- you have plenty room on the CD. As long as you are making it, take camera, shoot 2 pics of each room, add them to CD. Great quick inventory of a room. You will remember the sofa- bet you forgot the paintings, the curtains, and the books on the shelf.

12. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Well I appreciate the advice from everyone. If only I had known these things when i was 18. But thats the thing about experience, once you have it you dont need it :rolleyes:. I will definately take some pics of my firearms and the paperwork and put them on a cd for my girlfriend to keep at her place.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Did you not ask a while back about some stolen guns being in the hands of a convict? Are these the same ones?

You've had guns stolen, lost or just misplaced...*red flag*

14. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Well I looked through all of my posts i have made and didn't find anything about stolen guns in the hands of a convict. But maybe i just missed it. Either way, no these are not guns that are in the hands of a convict, to my knowledge anyway. If my friends dad had sold them then i guess they could theoretically be anywhere.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My advise is to e-mail the list to yourself. Your in box will archive your list for you.

16. vezpa

vezpa New Member

Don't !

Give them to a trusted family member instead.

Everyone thinks nothing can happen in a great romantic relationship then BAM.....

Women and Men can do some pretty nasty things to one another when break-ups occur. Sad that most people think that can NEVER happen to them. Truth is they do. Heed my warning and give them to someone else you trust.

17. wilddawg1

wilddawg1 New Member

lost guns

yep my thinking to in some states you would allready being enjoying three hots and a cot for awhile. so hows this though i had a 20 yr buddy steal two ar's from me called the NC SHERIFF they actually caught the guy just over the fla line highway patrol check point. they got the alert from nc and aressted the butthead now 9 months later i still dont have my guns as fla says they are still being processed to see if they had been used in any crimes 9 months what the hell shold take no more than a week maybe since they were recovered within 6 hrs. my guess is some cop now has possion of my guns and i will probally never see them again.