Lose your job, buy a gun, get arrested....

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by ScottG, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Ah, the joys of exercising your rights!!!!

Seems an Oregon DOT employee was laid off, and after buying three legal guns, had the SWAT team sent to his house for his own good....

"Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in. Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man — whose name wasn’t released — into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.

He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.

The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was “very disgruntled,” the news release said. ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.

However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said."

Full story here.

How noble of our good, fine, kind government to be soooo concerned about our welfare!!!! Maybe we should give them a party... neckties optional.

2. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Sure Scott, and you would be the first one in line to complaine why didn't someone do something if he went back to the office and killed a bunch of people. We don't know the whole story but in todays enviroment when a
    "disgruntled" employee goes out and buys three guns after being put on administrative leave from work, well hell, guess he is just going hunting huh. I would rather him be picked up and checked for mental health issues than read about him killing people. My opinion, just like you have your opinion.

3. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I have to agree with Dzscubie here....

4. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

These actions may have been well intended, but it is a dangerous and slippery slope.

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

here in Oregon when you buy more than one gun in a two week period a special form is filled out with the dealer and im sure red flags fly with the state police. After all they call and check on you with each purchase here.

6. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

when they call what do they ask?

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

they read off your info and drivers liscence number and the staters have you in the books. haven't bought 2 in a row yet so not sure what all happens.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm somewhere between scubbie and the OP. Let's say it was me personally, how would you gents feel then?
    spitty was working for the DOT, had 3 guns on the way thru online purchases when I get the news I've been laid off. Should I be arrested and questioned?

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

In a way a guy could cry this is a violation of the mans civil rights. Hes done nothing wrong and yet big brother is infringing on his rights. Yes maybee he could have gone craphouse mouse but from what ive read here there really was no need to get involved. Hell follow him around a bit more b4 jumpin him.

10. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Who the hell gets laid off on Thursday and then spends, in my estimation, over $2000 in weapons purchases??

Does the Oregon DOT pay THAT well?? :eek:

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

If his former employer reported him to the state because they were concerned, I don't see this as a problem. The problem would be if the state took it upon themselves to decide that someone who was laid off and then bought a gun was a danger. I understand it was a state agency that reported him but it does not sound like they were acting in a malicious manner, they let someone go and reported them without knowledge of the gun purchases. The police added 1 and 1 and decided to question him. Without more facts I can't say I disagree with what they did.

13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

There is no registration of firearms in Oregon. The call is to the State Police who run a criminal background check and log the sale.

An ODOT employee could earn 20K to $60k or more depending on the job.

14. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

1. Your making assumptions here, the article says he was placed on “Administrative Leave”. Now from my experience in working for the Federal Government that means a disciplinary or investigation for misconduct or illegal actions where they are not sure they can or will fire you until the investigation is concluded. So your comment that “he did nothing wrong” may or may not be correct. Yes, he did not do anything wrong buying the guns, but the totality of the circumstances around why he bought three guns at this time is what raised questions. Also the DOT had reported he was a “disgruntled employee” and could be a danger to the other employees at the DOT.

2. Did you read the same article you posted that I did? On administrative leave, disgruntled employee, other DOT employees afraid (don’t know who reported the fear but someone did), report initiated the LEO’s watching, that’s probable how they found out he bought the guns (don’t know how else). Well to me that’s a lot of doing something to raise my suspicions.

15. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I'm glad Nevada doesn't pull that. Although here in Clark County we have the only handgun registration card in the entire state. We call it the Nazi Blue Card (NBC) and Sheriff Gillespie says he'll fight to keep the card because it can be used to trace weapons and solve homicides. Metro has solved one homicide in several years using the NBC. One Whole Homicide. :rolleyes: It's all basically a "make work" department and might be tossed out by the legislature when they meet in 2011. Then again, with the stupidity our legislature has exhibited over the last few years, that might be a pipe dream.

16. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Actually, Federal Regulations [18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3), 27 CFR 478.126a] require dealers in any state to report multiple handgun sales.

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

here in oregon they can put you on administrative leave for farting sideways and pissing off a co-worker with the stink. I had a buddy put on admin leave for saying a students mom was pretty.
    also what would you do if someone said they were afraid of you and the law found out you had a stash of guns and took you in. It takes one person to say they feel afraid to bring the hammer down. We cant get a grip on the illegals in this country but they jump on this.
    Not saying he did nothing wrong, sounds a little funny but this is an example of going overboard. There are better ways to go about this then what they decided to do.

18. doctherock

doctherock New Member

hell people find me to be extremely intimidating, glad i dont get hauled off to jail every time i piss someone off and then buy a gun. Thats all im saying.

19. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

What'd he buy, and did he get a good deal? Did he have buyers lined up? Gun trading can be an excellent income supplement plan (as most of us here well know).

20. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

It is income tax season, lots of large purchases this time of year.
    just sayin', possibility