Lorenzoni/Cookson/Kalthoff Lock Flintlock Firearms

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Godogma, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Godogma

Godogma New Member

My question revolves around the rapidity of fire of the Lorenzoni pattern rifle/pistol that was produced from around the early sixteen hundreds to the 1800s under various names in various countries.

The very first mention of the firearm in question I ever encountered was in a book by Louis L'amour titled Jubal Sackett (I highly recommend his novels to those of you who have never read them, and even to those who have.) wherein Jubal has a brace of 12 shot Lorenzoni pistols.

I'm attempting to run an age of sail game for the GURPS system (as stated in my introduction, I'm something of a nerd at times when I'm not off shooting my various guns or reading anything I can get my hands on) and I'd like to know if anyone knows just how quickly the action could go from "fired/at rest" to loaded and ready to fire.

I've been fascinated by these firearms and several others in L'amour's books, and this is one of the hardest to find accurate information about. If anyone has any information on how much one of the Cookson Repeating Flintlocks or any of the others costed when purchased new that would be extremely appreciated as well.

Weight and length are generally very easy to find, and calibers are easy to deduce as well but the rate of fire is something I'm having a lot of difficulty pinning down.

I have several links to information that I'm posting along with the ad from the Boston Gazette about the Cookson rifle (a Lorenzoni pattern rifle patented in England by the Cookson family and manufactured both in London and in Boston, Mass - this is the most recent manufacture of the weapon in question).

The ad is as follows:
    Advertising in the Boston Gazette of April 12
    "Breech-Loading Gun. Made by John Cookson, and to be sold by him at his House in Boston: a handy Gun of 9 Pound and a half Weight;
    having a Place convenient to hold 9 Bullets, and Powder for 9 Charges and 9 Primings; the said Gun will fire 9 Times distinctly, as quick, or slow as you please, with one turn the Handle of said Gun, it doth charge the Gun with Powder and Bullet, and doth prime and shut the pan, and cock the Gun. All these Motions are performed immediately at once, by one turn with the said Handle. Note, there is Nothing put into the Muzzle of the Gun as we charge other Guns."

The NRA has a featured video snippet from the National Firearms Museum of a 12 shot breech loading Cookson repeater in .57 caliber.

NRA Video: Cookson Repeater

Here are some links to other Lorenzoni pattern firearms to go with it.

Gun Card: Cookson / Lorenzoni Repeater flintlock muskek shows a picture of an 11 shot Cookson rifle in .55 caliber.

This is a 28 shot Lorenzoni firearm from Italy (if the link doesn't work correctly a quick Find on page of lor/lorenzoni etc will pull up the images):

BolkAntiques.nl

This is a link to a 9 shot lorenzoni pistol that I'd imagine is much like the 12 shot model Jubal carried.

A RARE NINE-SHOT FLINTLOCK REPEATING MAGAZINE PISTOL ON THE LORENZONI PRINCIPLE, BY H.W. MORTIMER & CO., LONDON, GUN MAKERS TO HIS MAJESTY | CIRCA 1799-1806 | Arms & Armour Auction</li> | Christie's