Looting???

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by AmPaTerry, Jul 23, 2014.

1. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I just saw on Fox that the fire in the PNW is 100 miles long now.
    And they said that looters were a HUGE problem.

Here in TN, you can only use deadly force if you believe you are in grave danger of death or serious bodily harm, or to protect someone else who you believe to be in that situation. That means you can NOT shoot someone that is looting here in this state.

We were in Fairbanks during the great flood of 1967, when an area of Alaska the size of the state of Missouri was put underwater. The word was passed that looters would be shot on sight. When we ventured out into the area, we saw troops all over the place carrying M16's. Their expressions said they were not carrying them for no purpose.

I never heard of one single case of looting in Fairbanks during this period.

Why the HECK are we now so concerned with the civil rights of criminals??

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Florida allows concealed weapons carry (for those without a CWP) during "State of Emergency".

Considering the state of emergency Chicago is in, maybe they should adopt such a statute.

The biggest problem is that there is no declaration that the "State of Emergency" is over and not knowing that allows people to carry concealed.

Looting used to be a problem during hurricanes in my area, but no more.

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The point here is if you are going to confront a 'criminal' you should be armed in case the criminal decides to use violence against you!!!:(

4. AmPaTerry

At one point, we were pulling stuff out of the mud of our house and seeing what we could salvage.
    Military guy demanded to see ID -
    We showed it, address was the house we were working in, and he passed on without incident.

We met some friends, and all walked down-town to survey the damage.
    The four of us tried to relieve a bit of the tension by starting to cut up a little bit.
    At the first round of laughter, here was a guy with an M-16 asking what we were doing -
    As long as we walked around grim, we did not get questioned.

Horrible, horrible time!

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

During the Watts riots the Korean business owners were on their roofs with rifles so their businesses were left alone. When the riots calmed down they would only let a couple of women in at a time. The rioters had burned and looted all the other stores so the Koreans were the only ones doing business. My brother was installing commercial telephone equipment in Watts when the riots broke out. A black telephone installer got him out of Watts.

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

What? Shoot thieves, that goes completely against this governments policy of rewarding bad behavior.

7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't want to kill a man over a color TV, but that may just be a liberal thing.

I would send the same man to meet Jesus if he threatened me or my family. I might lose some sleep over it, but I think I would get over it.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The media tends to hype everything. Hundreds of homes are evacuated. Two houses get looted and all the sudden we have this huge looting problem. There is probably just as many burglaries as there would be on any other day. Just now we have a bunch of reporters jammed into an area who need to create some news.

Here is your looter. He had a warrant for theft. Apparently this is your typical dumb crook. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/c...-in-Cocos-Fire-Evacuated-Area--259608781.html

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

AmPa- those were M-14s in 1967. I spent time with the 171st out of Wainwright- we did not get M16s until late in 1970.

As far as "Would I shoot a looter?" Heavens to goodness, no. Of course not. How could you ask such a question.

However, anyone that places me in fear of death or seriously bodily harm, THAT is a different matter. And if you are forcibly entering my home while I am in it, you just went a LONG way towards accomplishing that.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Even though I don't necessarily agree, I find this refreshing, in this particular forum :)

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Its the worst fires here in quite some time. There wasn't really much as far as looting though, just a few opportunistic bastards going in to homes that have been evac'ed. Probably the same persons who have been burgling. In this state you can shoot an intruder just for breaking in.

12. JimRau

Why??? This is the attitude of 98+% of those here.:confused:

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not pledging to kill the SOB was a rare statement in this context. That's all.

14. JimRau

I have trained hundreds of folks in Armed SD and have only had ONE person whom I found to have the attitude of being the aggressor and wanting his CCW permit to 'go after' the criminal. I gave him back his money and refuse to issue him my 'letter of training' he need to get his permit from the local SO. But I have met thousands of people who have excepted the responsibility to defended themselves and others and can count the number of those with the 'wrong' attitude on one hand!:cool:

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

looting is a criminal act. usually done by those who are looking to make a quick buck off others misfortune in times of crisis.

so in simple terms, looters are simply opportunistic criminals who need to be dealt with appropriately. enough said.

16. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If someone wants our TV's, they can have all of them. A TV is very near to worthless, in my mind, and I wouldn't pay a dime for one or lose any sleep over not having one and certainly wouldn't shoot anyone over them disposing of it for free.

17. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Make sure all your stuff is insured and marked so it can be identified later if it has help disappearing. That way if you have to evac you can be assured that you will be compensated for loss regardless of how it happens. Stuff is just stuff. There is more stuff at every store in the country just like that stuff you have and they make more stuff just like it every single day. If I had to evac I'd take everything important to me with me. Kids, dogs, deeds, titles, pictures blah blah blah. Outside of that let em loot.
    Then ima buckle asphalt and leave burn out skids on my way to bail smooth outta there.

If you can't evac in my redneck of the woods and a looter uses force to enter your dwelling it is reasonable to believe that they will use force on you to get what they want out of you thus causing you grievous bodily harm and you can use force to defend yourself if you believe the crackhead that just kicked your door off the hinges is going to hurt you.

18. AmPaTerry

I sure remember them as M16s.
    I was in on the testing of the AR15 in the Air Force in 1961, and they were subsequently approved as M16. The army adopted them in time to use them in Nam in 63. I took my discharge in 1965 from Eielson AFB, and it was the standard rifle on the base at that time. I cannot speak for all outfits at Wainwright, but these particular guards absolutely had M16's.

But hey, I am over seven decades old, and my memory could be faulty.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

looters are criminals, who are feeding off a horrific event. i don't think it's a huge leap to believe they would care about human lives because of their criminal attitudes. they are also not above destroying property that they can't steal. so to think they wouldn't hurt or kill people they encountered during their criminal acts , IMO would be foolish or naive thinking.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  20. 1911love

1911love New Member

A TV is one thing, but food and water is a whole different story. I keep emergency food, water, and medical supplies in my home. I consider those things necessary for my survival so I would shoot someone trying to loot my house.

Typically when I've been in a hurricane in Florida people use red spray paint and write "Looters Will be Killed" on plywood. Seems to work pretty good as far as I've seen.