Loose pump on Moss88

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Wiebelhaus, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Why's the pump action so loose on the budget mossbergs? I was about to buy one but working the action it felt like it was going to fall the hell off.

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

That's just the way they are. Regardless of that, a lot of them have been made and are going strong.

3. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Gotcha, thanks. That's what the "Salesman" said but he was kinda shifty so I wasn't sure if he was being honest. The Remington 870 was about twice as much but I think nicer so I'm a bit undecided, think I'll borrow a few buddies shotguns and see what I like before just buying.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

mine is also looser than my Winchester SXP, but it works fine, as did the last one. just looser tolerances, i guess, but it doesn't seem to affect the way they work, so personally i don't worry about it.

5. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Mossbergs a good gun but i have had my 870 for years for hunting and hd and has performed flawlessly. Personally i would go remington 870

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

hat yaall you get what you pay for

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The action bars on the Mosbergs are riveted allowing them to "rattle" a bit. The Remingtons and Winchesters have solit actin bars welded to the slide tube. I don't know that one is better than the other, just different.

8. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

I just rode over to a buddies house and grabbed his Mossberg 88 and it's much tighter than the one in the store and he says he hasn't done anything to it, still stock but I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I recently got an 870 after a couple of decades of shooting Mossberg 500/590 shotguns (my own and the Navy's). Both shotguns are reliable, but yes the Mossberg's riveted action bars do give the impression of a looser fit gun.

I do like the position of the controls on the Mossberg better, but I wouldn't bet against either shotgun as far as reliability.