Loose Front Sight on 1903 Springfield

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Vikingdad, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The front sight on my '03 is loose, I went to tighten it up but the set screw does not tighten the sight. The set screw has a post (unthreaded) section that fits into a recess in the front sight itself. The dovetail also seems to be tapered so as I drift it to the left it gets tighter in the dovetail, but where it tightens up is quite a bit offset to the left. I cannot insert the dovetail from the left to the right, only from the right to the left.

Anybody have any advice for me?

The sight has "Marble" stamped on one side and "Sheard #11" stamped on the other side. Here are some pics of it.

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's typical for the dovetails to be tapered. Not sure I'm understanding the problem with the set screw. It looks like your sight blade has been hammered on a bit. You might need a new one.

3. kycol

kycol New Member

I have a erma la pistol with the same thing, but it doesn't have a set screw

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Loc-tite might help.

Or pin it in place.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Well yes, it is an old rifle and it has been around the block a few times. I'm not sure how this set screw is supposed to work. It would make sense if the tip of the screw was tapered to lock things in place rather than it being straight like it is. Rather than replacing it I would prefer to fix the one I have. I am thinking of pinning it with a taper pin in place of the set screw.

6. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

One simple thing to do is lightly tap on the dovetail projections. on the top photo the lips on the barrel part can be tapped down slightly. very gentle it won't take much and should be invisible when the front sight is put back. tap and check until you are happy with it.

SWSinTN likes this.
  7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That's what I was thinking, that and maybe making another set screw that is tapered. That would be a bit difficult though. Or maybe not. Maybe I could make a tapered pin, ream out the pin hole in a matching taper and then stake the pin in place.

8. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

You might try lowes/home depot as they often have a variety of set screws.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have a metric crap-load of set screws, probably more than Lowes or Home Depot but nothing that would work. I checked.

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Dang:( what about finding the dimensions and chucking something up in the lathe. I know it's not easy but it may be worth the shot?

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That's sort of where I am headed. I think if I chuck up a larger set screw and turn the taper that might work, but the other idea is to get a taper pin and thread the larger end of it, but in either case I would have to get a taper reamer to make the hole in the sight match the profile of the pin for them to lock together solidly.

Maybe I should just silver-solder the sight in place. All of my adjustments are made with the rear sight anyhow, and I seen no real need to have the front sight removable in any case.

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

OK, I can get taper pins for less than 10 cents each, and I can get combination taper reamer drill bits as well that will drill and ream the taper in one operation. They are $60 freaking dollars each!:mad:

13. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

Set it in place with JB weld or Acraglass , it will work great if you ever have to replace it just heat it with a torch, you could also soft solder it in place.