Loose Ambi Safety

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SlightlyAddicted0311, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SlightlyAddicted0311

SlightlyAddicted0311 New Member

I purchased a new sig nitron to go along with my sig scorpion and after a day of shooting and cleaning i noticed the ambi safety ( the right side if you're aiming in ) has a little play in it up and down, and i can pull it out a verrrry small amount, maybe 1mm or less. either way it bugs me, has no affect on performance just one of those things that rubs me the wrong way... any quick fixes or ideas? *besides getting a single sided safety*

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Let's see...
    A NEW Sig
    A few rounds shot through it.
    A concern arose that you don't like.

Yep, sounds like a call to customer service is in order.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Really not unusual for a ambi safety on a well used gun - had to snug up one on one of mine just yesterday BUT brand new gun? Time for customer service --

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Honestly if this is the first time, I'd hold off on calling CS simply because it's a ridiculously easy fix. Ambi safeties work in a tongue/groove fashion. One side of the ambi has a tongue and the other has a groove. Just press both sides back together. I have used a Quik-klamp with good results. Just make sure both sides are protected. You can also use a c-clamp or c-clamp style vise grip. You're just pushing the tongue back into the groove. Now if this continually works loose, THEN I would call CS. And unless you're a left, I'd ditch the ambi all together. I can't stand them.

5. SlightlyAddicted0311

I've had bad experiences will every customer service department I've dealt (for firearms). Glock was awful. I think I'll just get over it. It's a very small amount of play and I don't use that safety side anyway. If it was the left side that'd be different. I'll take it to my local gunsmith and if he can't do anything I'll either leave it alone or buy new Wilson parts for it

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you don't use it, just get an aftermarket single- side safety.

7. SlightlyAddicted0311

update: called sig customer service and they said that with the scorpion models and some of the other 1911's that safety on the right side is going to have a very little bit of play out of the factory, so apparently it's no big deal and i was annoyed over nothing. Nice to know...

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You're a customer service dept. dream :cool:

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would have asked "How can I get my Sig to be one of those not included in the "some of the other" categories?"

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Good point-
    A little something that don't work right on a extreamly powerfull handgun-
    No big deal :confused:

11. SlightlyAddicted0311

hah. both sides function fine. the amount of play isn't enough to make me worried or lose sleep. If she says that's how they're put out then that's good enough for me. my next 1911 is a dan wesson and if anything is loose on that puppy you better believe i'm sending it to quality control. The sigs are my shooters, not my safe queens.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Then WTF did you bother us askin :confused:

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Your safe queens function better than your shooters?

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'm thinkin the whole bunch are queens ;)

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Ha...I was thinking the same thing. :D

16. SlightlyAddicted0311

lol i don't have any safe queens or bar-b-que guns. i buy guns to shoot not trophies to look at. i love the comments about how i'm a customer service rep's dream, and the "whole bunch are queens", and "WTF did you bother us askin?". Why would you be a part of a forum and make cute little comments to insult my posts. Grown men with the soft minds of 16 year old high school kids. I have thick skin, so don't think i'm insulted... but i'd rather call ya out than be passive after you try to insult me. I joined this forum to get advice from experienced guys who know their sh#t... not play dodgeball with wanna be bullies, waste of my time. lol it's hilarious

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Hang in there. You'll find out who the members are who want to help people and who make little comments designed to provoke a response from someone. You'll learn who to acknowledge and who to ignore. But honestly, this is one of the forums where he majority of people are happy to help a guy out and you'll find a bunch of good guys. Just let the little comments roll like water off a duck's back. Acknowledging them is the wrong thing to do. A forum is a great place for collective knowledge. Accept what you need to answer your question and to further your own knowledge and ignore the trivial BS.

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Sorry if you were offended...it is very difficult to assign context to a comment in a forum such as this. Yes, some of the guys here get a little "Randy" at times, but for the most part it is in fun. I interact here with the same mannerisms I use with personal friends. For example....

If you are overweight, don't let me see you eatin' a Twinkie, if you can't take a little humor at your expense. That or we just can't be friends. The same goes for me...if I open myself up for a shot, take it! Just be sure to apply the obligatory "smileycon"

Where I'm from, it's just how men are, and act towards each other.

Sorry you took it wrong, like I said...jus' pokin at ya a bit.

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Please see my reply to the OP on this. Thanks.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

SlightlyAddicted0311, may I suggest you go back to your thread in the introduction section and (re-)read my post.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/i-love-america-58064/#post713294

If you don't get it, read it again.

If you still don't get it this may not be the forum for you.

We are a irreverent bunch here on the FitearmsTalk forum. We have been able to transfer gun concentric information/knowledge sans the tight-azz format of many other gun knowledge purveyors. (And I've been told, we do it rather well.)

I do my job everyday with a smile on my face. It is not generated by belittling members but from reading PM's thanking me for explaining something they just didn't understand or thanks for that great post.

Should you want to complain about my, or another member's post, please do so with a private message or use the "Report a Post" icon [​IMG] and not whine about it in the public arena.