Loophole?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by MichaelBarton, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

I was told by a few gun shops I had to be 21 to buy a lower. If it doesn't have a barrel. So I am wondering if I can bring my extra upper in and have them put it on and sell it to me like that

2. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Nice try.
    21 or no gun.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Did you ask then why or just take their word for it?

4. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

Because it has to be registered as "Other" but in TX we don't have to register our guns so I was a little confused.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

True only for handguns in free states. In Ks. you only have to be 18 to purchase a long gun. Unless Tx. is different, which I doubt, or it is marked pistol it's a long gun.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Get another ****ing LGS because they are full of ****. I am starting to really hate the majority of gun stores. All I ever read is some LGS jerking some guy around for BS reasons.

7. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

Oh believe me I haven't went back there. They wouldn't sell anything tactical unless you arr 21. They would sell me 223 ammo but not5.56 because it is "tactical". Collectors Firearms in Houston. Don't go for tactical. But their antique and hunting selection is great

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

A store here in oklahoma had it set as 21 for an AR until they realized the law said you could be 18 to buy an AR. They changed it real quick and sales for them have gone up quite a bit. A friend of mine from Texas was surprised that I had one since I wasn't 21

9. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Just when you think you've heard it all.
    They will sell you 223 but not 556?
    Seriously??

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I had one trying to tell me I couldn't use xm193 because it was steel core armor piercing.

People need to start speaking up and spreading the word. Would you go to a Dr that didn't know what a cold was, or a gun shop that didn't know the local laws on age restriction?

11. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

They wouldn't sell me a sling, magazin e, or even a flashlight mount. If it was labeled tactical 21 yrs old. Define tactical please

12. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Well, tactical, hmm.
    Sorry, I got nothing.

13. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

Exactly my point. They had some pens and what not for sale by the register. If I would have said it would be my tactical pen I bet they wouldn't sell it to me lol

14. Kwaynebb

Kwaynebb New Member

I love how they use the word "tactical" for their excuse. I believe that tactical is derived from the word tact which is dealing with others and or a situation with skill, grace ext. A freaking tactical accessory like a sling is no more "tactical" than a sling for a hunting rifle unless the individual using it knows how to handle it in a given situation with "tact".

Furthermore I hate to throw this out there but it happens to me all the time. I am knocking on 30's door but I am baby faced and getting anyone in the ol LGS to help me is nearly impossible due to the fact that they think I'm just some young punk wanting to waste their time looking at the guns I saw on C.O.D. last night. They do not want to accept the fact that a lot of my generation are the guys that are willing to dump tons of money on our "tactical" weapons, and we might just offer up a little more business for them. Sorry I will step off of my soap box. Now what were y'all talking about??

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

find a different dealer that guy is stupid. you have to be 21 to buy a lower that is listed as a pistol lower. 18 to buy a rifle lower. when you buy a gun your filling out the paper work for the serial numbered frame nothing else. so when you buy a complete rifle or pistol your doing the transfer for the reciever or frame. texas has no ban on "tactical" gear. a 1 day old baby can buy a "tactical" sling...

right now ive got the upper off my colt M16A1 sitting in my gunsafe. i do not have the tax stamp for the lower yet but i own the gun. so i can possess everything but the reciever, the rest of it in the eyes of the law is not a gun.

16. Kalash1138

Kalash1138 New Member

Everyone Clam Down! You CAN NOT sell a AR lower to anyone under 21 because it can be made into a PISTOL configuration, the local gun shop is complying with law. You can buy a AR rifle/carbine at 18. I use to PT at a gun store and these laws were drilled into me. Do Not blame the gun shop, blame the law makers.

17. Kwaynebb

Kwaynebb New Member

I'm more concerned/confused with them denying purchase of tactical equipment. That sounds bogus to me, but I do completely understand the lower thing.

18. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

Buy online and find a friend that has a FFL.
    That's bull crap to not sale you anything "tactical" sounds like you need to find a different company!

19. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Only time it "can" be made into a pistol is if
    a) it is a stripped lower;
    b)it came from the manufacturer with a pistol reciever extension;
    Otherwise, yes he can purchase it.

20. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

I thought it was called tacticool not tactical

Wyoming is what America was

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.