Looky here!

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by winds-of-change, Feb 19, 2020.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I happened to be in Illinois to see this on the front page of the local paper. Except I think his hair is white now. This is a picture of the day he was sentenced to jail. 83BDA052-E468-4D13-BBB7-0890FE724CC0.jpeg

2. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

birds of a feather corrupt together. so no surprise there

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, who is the second bird?

4. W.T. Sherman

the one that commuted his sentence

5. Oldoutlaw

Careful there, this is not the Political Section.

austin92 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. W.T. Sherman

then don't ask who the second one was,
    [​IMG]

7. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Aren't you the one that brought up the second one??? [​IMG]

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

This is political banter.

Oldoutlaw and sheepdawg like this.
  9. winds-of-change

Maybe my bad for posting it in the Illinois forum.

partdeux likes this.
  10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

No pardon, just let him out of jail early. I don't have a problem with that. He is still a convicted felon.:rolleyes:

ellis36 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  11. Oldoutlaw

Not at all. You just have one trying to make it Political.

sheepdawg likes this.
  12. sheepdawg

One of the usuals. I don't see the word supporter under his avatar glorifying a killer of innocents either.

13. W.T. Sherman

that's because it's my choice of how and where I spend my money.

14. sheepdawg

As it is my choice to call you out on it. It's also my choice to keep calling you out on it for every political remark you make around here. :D

W.T. Sherman and Oldoutlaw like this.
  15. W.T. Sherman

knock yourself out, [​IMG]. just don't call me late for dinner[​IMG]

16. winds-of-change

He was not pardoned. Just released early.

JimRau and Sniper03 like this.
  17. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I find this interesting. I don't know what's allowed when a political topic is posted on a Gun Forum, so I'll just post without comment.

ellis

https://pjmedia.com/trending/should-obama-be-terrified-by-trump-commuting-blagojevichs-sentence/

FTA: "When Barack Obama won the presidency in 2008, it was then-Governor Blagojevich’s responsibility to appoint someone to fill the seat. But, Blagojevich didn’t just want to give it away, he wanted something for it. “A Senate seat is a f---ing valuable thing. You don’t just give it away for nothing,” Blagojevich said at the time.

...In 2011, Blagojevich was sentenced to 11 years in prison on corruption charges. Of course, he wanted a pardon from Obama, but never got one. That had to be tough for the disgraced governor, considering Obama granted clemency to terrorists and traitors, but couldn’t (or wouldn’t) give one to a former political ally.

This naturally should have people asking: Why?

In my opinion, it all comes back to Blagojevich's attempt to sell Obama’s former Senate seat. Soon after Obama’s victory, negotiations began for Blagojevich to appoint an Obama-approved candidate to fill his seat. Obama even provided a list of suitable candidates. At the top of the list was Valerie Jarrett. But, as previously mentioned, Blagojevich didn’t just want to give away the seat to someone. He wanted something in return: a position in Obama’s cabinet. Unfortunately for him, at the time, he was politically unpopular and the target of a federal corruption probe, and being wiretapped by the FBI. The chances of him getting picked for a cabinet position were slim. Jarrett also eventually decided to follow Obama to the White House as an advisor.

When the Senate-seat-for-sale scandal broke, Obama denied having any contact with the governor about his Senate seat, and his transition team conducted an internal investigation, which obviously cleared him of violating any laws--because what other conclusion would the Obama transition team come to? However, the criminal complaint and sworn testimony during Blagojevich’s trial contradicted Obama’s statements, as did media reports at the time. Obama advisor David Axelrod also accidentally revealed that Obama spoke directly with Blagojevich about the Senate seat--though he later claimed he misspoke.

Blagojevich even wanted Obama subpoenaed to testify in his trial. One government witness in the trial testified that Obama sent intermediaries to negotiate on his behalf about who should be named to fill his former seat--directly contradicting Obama White House claims to the contrary.

Now that Blagojevich is a free man, slighted by Obama but ingratiated by Trump, it could mean that he'll be willing to talk more freely about Obama’s illegal actions in the Senate-seat-for-sale scandal.
    I’d love to see that happen. That scandal was one of many that Obama was never held accountable for...."EOQ

winds-of-change likes this.
  18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

An excellent example of information to use to form an opinion to make a post in P, R & C.

19. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good idea, Gator!
    Done & Done!

ellis

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I think that was the point his prison term was Commuted not Pardoned. He still is a Felon as was stated. If they would have given him good time during his prison term like most others for good behavior. Being day for day, he would have normally been out in 7 years. Of his original 14 year sentence. But he already had served 8 years. So I did not see a big deal of his Commuted Sentence. If he would have received a Pardon then I would have had areal issue with it for sure!

JimRau likes this.