Looking to start an ar15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mikex15, Jun 9, 2012.

1. mikex15

mikex15 New Member

I've been wanting to build an ar for a while now and I've decided to start now, but have not the slightest clue were to start brand wise. Help me out please

2. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Define "build". Are you going to start with stripped receivers and assemble EVERYTHING (component build)? Or, are you looking to slap a complete upper and complete lower together and call it a build (Major Assemblies Build)? If you are looking at option 1 the you have a laundry list of parts to buy and the options are endless. If you are looking at option 2 then the list (in my view)is short.

In no particular order.....

1. Daniel Defense
    2. Noveske
    3. BCM
    4. LMT
    5. Colt

Actually, I would probably use the same list for a component build as well.

Disclosure: I don't own anything from any of the above (except a BCM Gunfighter charging handle). But if I had it to do over again I most certainly would. Should the opportunity to build another rifle present itself I will.

This really isn't something to jump into blindly. Do your due diligence and research every option before you drop a wad of cash. Start bare bones basic and buy the highest quality you can afford. Then go shoot the gun. Then start trying to figure out what kind of add-ons you NEED as opposed to want. ie quad rail, light, optic blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda. I personally wasted a lot of money on things I wanted, that now sit in the closet because I found they were useless for my ACTUAL NEEDS.

Research, study and take everything you hear on these boards with a grain of salt. Sift through the "ADVICE" you get and verify every claim before you base a decision on it.

EDUB

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

^^^^^^Oh yea.....there's that too. ^^^^^^

5. dirtdigger040

dirtdigger040 New Member

I have read and read all of the posts here. No one has really mentioned anything about CMMG are they any count? I am looking to buy one. I'm willing to spend 900-1000 on a ar. When I buy a firearm I'm going to keep it and I'll pass it along to my kids. Not looking to buy one and drop it in a couple months I want a gun that I can shoot and pass to my kids in about 20 years. Any help is appreciated

6. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Not sure were you live at but allot of people get stuff for there ar builds at cmp shoots like the big one at camp perry in portclinton ohio dealers have a dealers row and you can buy everything you need usually at a discount last year rock river stripped lowers under 100.00 then lower parts kit also and get rock river 2stage trigger best for the money then find your upper you want you name it they got it.I have seen armalite nm go for 900.00 else were they cost 1300.00

7. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Who?

The RR 2 Stage is not the best trigger for the money. They are know to start failing when you get into the higher round counts.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I like the geissele 2 stage trigger

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Before getting into triggers get the standard milspec trigger.

Its a great trigger, I wish I had them on all my handguns.

10. cbibb

cbibb New Member

I have a rr2stage have over1500rds through it no malfuntions but I do agree that Giessel triggers are good shot few match rifles with those triggers and they are very good the guns had white oak uppers and very accurate

11. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

To those that are posting recommendations,

Don't you think it's a little silly to start spouting off a bunch of stuff before the OP even defines the scope of what he is trying to accomplish?

I swear sometimes I think some of you guys woul recommend an 18 wheeler to someone who states that they want to buy a truck to haul some stuff around.

EDUB

12. X-mark

X-mark New Member

If OP wants a gun to go shoot and to pass on to his kids...there is only one clear choice...Colt!

The other brands mentioned are great rifles, but once you say pass on to your kids, Colt takes the cake. Oh, and the Colt 6920 has been on sale for sub $1000 in the recent past...may be tough to find it at that price now, but definitely give it serious consideration.

13. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Recommending a manufacturer in general is great and I whole heartily agree with a recommendation of COLT. No problems there. I do ,however, think a debate over which aftermarket trigger he should use is a bit premature.

Don't you?

EDUB

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The thing is, like many other threads, others piggyback the OP with questions. The question of CMMG and for $1000 is it a good rifle to use and pass down to the kids (I agree with Xmark that Colt really fits the bill here.)
    And then CMP and triggers. Some forums discourage this but we usually let it slide especially when the OP doesn't come back to the thread like has happened here.

15. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Within your budget you can get a COLT. That's a gun you can be proud to pass down. Plus it's a COLT, so it will hold value just because of the name. Will an AR-15 be considered an heirloom in 30 to 50 years? Yes. If you consider the explosion of AR sales in the last few years, in 50 years there almost everyone will have one that that their DAD gave them. Give your kids a COLT, it will mean more in the long run.

EDUB

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Forgive me Q but....what is this "CMP", components?

17. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's what I was referring to Tikki. There was a post earlier here about buying AR parts from CMP, though I tend to think of buying a Garand from them not ARs/parts. Unless they have surplus M16s! :p