Looking to start a project 1911

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Ghost214713, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Ghost214713

Ghost214713 New Member

I'm looking at a S&W 1911 PD. For a carry gun. Looking for everyone's in put and suggestions?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

First, I'm biased.

Second, you asked.

If you are going to buy a Light Weight Combat Commander why not get the original?

No external extractor and for less money!

[​IMG]

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Oh yea, stop by the Introduction section and say hi.

Welcome to the FTF.

4. Ghost214713

Ghost214713 New Member

What is the MSRP on that beauty

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

They go for <$1000.

6. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Sig Sauer are making some pretty good 1911's for the money. Not to step on your toes Cane, Colts are THE 1911.....You can pick up a pretty nice one $750 and up. Be worth checking out. You're definitely heading in the right directon!

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

are you looking to buy or build? if you are looking to buy, take these guys advise. if you are looking to build and are new at this, buy one first and get to know it well. then buy many books on the 1911 platform and study them, then study them some more. then find someone who has built or builds 1911's and learn from them. then you might me ready to tackle building your own.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A tip of the hat to Cane's advice.

Some of the "new" 1911a1 manufacturers may not have the specs of the original. When you go looking for something to alter with aftermarket parts (i.e. grips, hammer, safeties, etc...), there may need to be a lot of fitting.

9. Axxe55

well said! these really are not the type of guns that can just be put together by buying various parts and assembling it. these guns need lots of attention to detail and fitting. a lot of sometimes expensive tools and fixtures to build a reliable functioning pistol. thats why a lot of the makers of these pistols ask a lot of money for them.

10. Ghost214713

Ghost214713 New Member

To: axxe55
    I carried a 1911's for 13 years as professional.
    I have a Wilson Combat CQB Compact as a concealed carry. I just want to have a project gun.

11. Ghost214713

Ghost214713 New Member

To:axxe55
    Sorry misread what you wrote. I'm not looking to build from a bare slide and frame yet maybe later. Thank you for the good advise

12. Axxe55

nothing wrong with a project. just letting you know some of the pitfalls in building one. IMO, the cost of all the specialized tools to build a pistol from scratch, take out the savings part to me. now if you have the means and money to buy all the tools and equipment it takes to build a 1911, then i would say go for it. but if you planned on building several, then the cost wouldn't be as expesive. but to just build one gun, seems a tad expensive.