Looking to get my first handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by WormDirt, Jun 30, 2010.

1. WormDirt

WormDirt New Member

Hey guys I am looking to get my first handgun and I am wondering what you all consider to be a good gun for somebody with minimal experience with handguns?
    I was thinking probably a 9mm? as practice ammo for those are relatively cheap so I could afford to practice more but still have enough knock down power for home defense situations which I would not have with say a .22 hand gun...

What are your guys thoughts?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Browning HP knock-off at a great price.

This would be a perfect first handgun.

[​IMG]

ARCUS 98DA 9MM SEMI AUTO 13RD $278.05

Arcus 98DA 9mm semi auto 13rd

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A first handgun to consider is the G..., Gl...., Gloc...., That plastic pistol, model 17. Read the manual that comes with it, cover to cover. Get some training on safety, and how to apply the principles of shooting.
    Good Luck!

4. WormDirt

WormDirt New Member

wow that is very inexpencive! Have you ever owned a gun from century arms? Are they well made? I like the low price just as long as its not a get what you pay for type of deal

5. WormDirt

WormDirt New Member

I have already taken a firearm safety course =) I have been shooting guns for a long time just not many hand guns (shot a .38 spcl revolver a couple times)

6. danf_fl

I did not know your experience, so I try to keep the post generic. Also, we get a lot of new shooters and I want to stress safety.
    Which Century Arms handguns are you talking about? I ordered a competition model of the 1911a1 for a friend. For the price, it is okay. We had to change some parts out after he shot it a couple of thousand times, but he still likes it.

7. WormDirt

WormDirt New Member

No worries I had a feeling that was what it was ;)

but the century arms gun I am talking about is the one posted above.. I also see in the package deal I could get the Mosin Nagant reproduction with it for under 100 dollars more.. so if its a good company that is something I would def be interested in

8. danf_fl

I've had no problems with them. I've been dealing with them for years.

9. WormDirt

WormDirt New Member

awesome.. anybody have any experience with that site canebrake linked to? it looks kind of sketchy

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

11. WormDirt

WormDirt New Member

Awesome thanks! I will be bookmarking that site there are alot of good deals on there! :eek:

I always thought it was illegal to ship fire arms to people?

12. danf_fl

Not if the people have an FFL.

13. WormDirt

WormDirt New Member

I dont need a FFL to get them shipped to me do I?

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yes you do. It can not be shipped to your house. It HAS to be shipped to a dealer and you fill out the paperwork and pick it up from them. Most likely you will pay ffl fees on both ends.

15. cmhill

cmhill New Member

he shouldnt have to pay ffl fees on both ends, should only have to pay when he picks up the gun from his local dealer/ffl holder, worm dirt if your looking at buying online check around your town for a local gunstore or pawn store and see what they charge to trasfer a firearm, should be around $25.00 atleast thats the going rate around here

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

For a first gun, I'd go with a well known manufacturer and a bullet proof design. Someone already recommended a Glock... although I can't say I've come across a Glock I like yet. I'd recommend a Springfield XD or XDm. A Ruger SR9 would be worth checking out as well.

Now if you've got a bigger budget, I'd also check a Smith M&P, Browning Hi Power, or a 1911 in 9mm.

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

An M&P is less expensive than an Xdm and about the same as glocks and xd's.

:)

A local guy here has a compact m&p 45CP WITH NIGHT SIGHTS FOR $500

18. WormDirt

WormDirt New Member

Yeah I really like the XD I also like the Ruger P95... also not a big fan of glocs... they seem over rated but what do I know im a nooby to handguns :p

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Looks like you're on the right track to me. :D