Looking to get my first ar

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Myke2209, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Myke2209

Myke2209 New Member

S & W or Bushmaster

2. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Bushmaster is a beter choice , the guy that I work for has a smith and wesson it will start jamming after 60 to 100 rounds and every body that I no has a bushmaster likes them and I had had a stag and I put 3200 rounds threw it without cleaning it started to jam after that many rounds

3. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Buy a stripped lower and piece it together that's where the fun is. That way you can install the type of trigger system and everything else you want.

4. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

I have a couple of ARs one is a DPMS that I got when I was 18 and a smith & wesson that I got couple years ago and I have nor had any problems with it at all
    Zero jams or malfunctions!

5. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

I own 2 Bushmasters, 1 Rock River, 1 Superior Arms and one other. All the main manufacturers' guns will do you right. I would not hesitate to buy one and set it up for my shooting needs. I'd use a red dot scope for high speed (general tactical work) or mount a 3 by 9 variable power scope on it for precision shooting. As for a bi-pod you can get one permanently attached to the rifle or one that is detachable. Either kind will work for your shooting needs.

6. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Never had a jam Or FTF with my smith and Wesson. Been a great firearm for all my purposes.

7. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

Why S&W or Bushmaster??? Any particular reason??? I would look around at all the different manufacturers to see what's available and the different features each one offers. Once you have an idea of what you want, go to as many gunshows as it takes and get your hands on them...it'll help with getting an actual feel for it. Don't get me wrong, Bushmaster is a good choice, but so is Stag Arms, Rock River Arms, DPMS, so forth and so on.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'll ask the same question, Why did you choose those 2, is it a price thing? Were they the only 2 options at your LGS?

The S&W is the better choice of the 2 but there are much better ARs for roughly the same price out there and in the long run they are much better values. Actually once you figure out their deficiencies and replace all thats lacking you will have spent more money.

The AR sub forum is a great place to visit for info on ARs.

9. Myke2209

Myke2209 New Member

Mostly costs was looking at some Dpms but a friend had one said that he didn't like it as much as a s & w something about how dpms were bought out from someone and haven't been the same would really like a sig 516 but dont know if I could wait it out to save up for it

10. GolfGuns

GolfGuns New Member

I have to agree with Tiberiuos hat piecing one together is a lot of fun but not necessarily the most economical. I think I have seen a S&W at Wally for about 7 bills. If most are mill spec they should be close to the same except for the obvious enhancements.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What type of shooting will you be doing? Range? Amount?

What is your budget including optic?

12. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Maby his gun is messed up or something wat kind of ammo do you shoot in yours

13. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

MJKEAT asked a good question...what type of shooting will you be doing...plinking? precision? hunting? a combo? Just remember, if you want an AR for hunting, check with your state's Department of Fish and Game for minimum caliber requirements.

14. Powersportgiant

I picked up about 2k rounds of federal 55gr and that is all that has been through my rifle. I am skeptical of shooting steel case ammo, only brass leaves my chamber.

15. Myke2209

Myke2209 New Member

Range mostly 2 to 3 times a week I have a sightmark sight that picked up at a gun show for a good price

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

How far out will your targets be?

Running drills or just shooting off a rest?

There are many different ARs available from commercial grade on up and one to fit you depending on your intended use.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Im curious as to why.

18. Powersportgiant

I would like to be told otherwise. I have read that it's only good to shoot brass. I read that ammo like Wolf can cause problems. Any personal experience on this ?

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Its like a person who eats everything,if you eat good foods your body functions properly. a person can eat alot of junk with no visual problems, BUT eventually it can foul up your internals and cause problems. Wolf ammo may function properly and feed fine,but wolf ammo contains ALOT of corrosive materials that can eventually pit up your barrel and cause problems with your gas/piston system and the steel casings are laquer coated which can eventually foul your BCG.nothing against using it,just be sure and give her a really good thorough cleaning after every firing session with it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I do have. I shoot Tula quite frequently in fact it's the majority of what I shoot in my ARs. The only time I don't shoot steel is during a 3gun match and at the indoor range, only because they don't allow it.

I'm at roughly 2k w/o cleaning this summer. Still going strong. I usually shoot more steel but 3gun burnt up a lot of my budget.

The only issues I know of are w/ the extractor over time and a timing issue. The extractor can wear faster due to the steel case but is cheap to replace. The timing issue (FTF,FTE) is more often than not an issue w/ the AR itself. It can be fixed w/ a lighter buffer.