Looking to get my first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DoyleTheDog, Oct 16, 2012.

1. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

As the title says, I'm looking to get a 1911 and I'd like some input from you fine folks. Looking at either a Colt or Springfield and I do not want one with target sites. The pistol will be used for everything from a range gun to SD and HD. Was looking at the Colt XSE series and Springfield Loaded series. Last detail is I definitely want steel. As always, any help is appreciated.

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Colt....end of conversation. :D Everyone should own a Colt :D

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'm loving my SIG 1911 Nitron. They're worth checking out IMO.

4. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Thanks drvsafe, but I'm really only looking at Colts and Springfields. Not really big on the Sig 1911s. Just my personal preference.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I think your choices either way you go will be fantastic. I would love to have both the loaded model and the XSE.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Go for the best you can afford.

If I were looking for another, I would consider the Springfield Armory Range Officer.

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

It's alright I won't hold it against you. What's your price range?

8. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

haha thank you for that. I'm looking in the ballpark of $1100, maybe a little more if need be.

9. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Ive had the xse, verr nice pistol but i chose to stick with my sig tac ops. The xse is very good when it comes to reliability, the xse is said to be as reliable as a glock. It can fire when wet, dirty, with mud it in. Now i never tried that but did my research on it. The xse is an outstanding pistol. My sig is better, it is slightly more accurate, has the same reliability, and had everything i wanted stock. I wanted extended mag release, night sights, metal msh, mag well, a rail and a crisp trigger. I loved my colt and plan to get another but there were a few problems i had; the msh was plastic, the mag release is very short, doesnt come with night sights, theyre mags seem very flimsy. The sig mags would match the quality of wilson imo. So if you do get an xse you will not be dissapointed but while looking check out the sig tac ops as an added plus to all of the features it comes with 4 mags

ForumRunner_20121016_133525.jpg

ForumRunner_20121016_133542.jpg

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

People go on and on about Colts, and for good reason I'm sure, but in my price range I was looking at a 1991A1, and it's just too basic of a model for me.

I really like the SA "Loaded", it was on my shortlist of potentials when I was shopping. Then I checked out the TRP also which I loved, but it was out of my budget. I preferred it due to the front strap checking, which you don't see on the Loaded or Range Officer. Now, that's the main reason why I opted for the SIG, I bought a TacPac; 3 mags, and the pistol has the rest of the hardware I wanted; Match barrel, hammer and sear and a lifetime warranty. I am missing one or two things, full sized guide rod, the ambidextrous thumb safety, night sights, but those are things I can do further on up the road.

11. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

You can get good deals if you shop around, thats the funnest part. Gunbuyingclub.com and grabagun.com have really good prices. Got my colt for under $900. Those 2 sights have great deals on alot of things you may need.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Go Colt!

My XSE (I know, it's SS) but here's what you can do with the XSE.

Box stock:

[​IMG]

Buffed up:

DSCF0855-1.jpg

Loaded:

Attached Files:

13. jmckinzie

jmckinzie New Member

What about a rock island armory 1911 now I have a colt that was my wife's grandpas and I love it done a few things to it but for an entry level 1911 ria isn't bad they're pretty reliable and on the cheaper end which means it leaves u room to customize and make it exactly how u want it me personally I love doing gun projects like this takin a no frills gun and transforming it to a custom firearm that anyone can enjoy but that's just my opinion if u want a gun with everything u want already on it then I would prolly go with a colt

14. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I hear that! My issue is in NJ, a person needs a permit to purchase a pistol and its got a time limit, 90 days, one additional 90 day extension. My FFL commented on how short I cut this one. Like if the package was delayed an extra 2-3 days, I would have been unable to pick it up until I got a new permit. I have 2 more permits in process ($18 fee +$2 for each permit, which I think is the best thing to do so when that "deal" comes up, I have the permit to pull the proverbial trigger.

16. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Well I went to my LGS after work today and found my 1911. Traded in my XDm9 and walked out the door with a Colt XSE for $575 after taxes. Not too shabby.

Attached Files:

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Damn wth, id move

18. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I had the exact pistol, check the msh. Id change that out. Yea, you didnt do to bad

19. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Yeah I had been reading up about that. Should I be okay shooting it for a while before replacing the stock MSH?

20. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea, I just don't like plastic on a metal gun