Looking to get into the long range spectrum of shooting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TM3TenraiSS, Feb 21, 2012.

1. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

So the past few years (since I was old enough to read and shoot(don't ask which came first ;)) I've always been interested in long range rifles. I want to get into taking some longer distance shots. So step 1 I need to do some research (on requirements out of both the shooter and the rifle) Well I've read quite a bit about it but now (step 2) I need to find a rifle, currently I'm looking at a Romanian PSL and thinking about buying that. But I would also be interested in hearing about other rifle that would suit my purposes. My price range is around 1,200$. So any suggestions on a rifle would be appreciated. And any suggestions tips hints help on learning more about long range shooting would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time you took reading my long winded question that could've been a little less lengthy.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Be very careful of the PSL's out there now. They are parts kits and accuracy is not always the greatest. Ammo for the PSL is another issue. Not all light ball is the same, so it will vary greatly in poi. Never use heavy ball in a PSL. Are you set on a semi auto?

3. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I'd really recommend a good bolt action rifle. Hunting or competition? My own preference is a Winchester model 70. 300 win mag or 7 mm rem mag. But I hear good things about the big .338's.

Optics is another big concern. You can't hit what you can't see. I like Vortex scopes. Quality glass that isn't outrageous. I use a Viper 6.5-20x50.

Might want to check out a good range finder. Doesn't matter how good you shoot if you don't know the range. Big drop from 600 to 800 yards. Even bigger to 1000. You don't wanna miss that monster elk do ya?

If you're serious about it, speaking from my own experience, get quality stuff to start with. I bought a less expensive rifle, now I've found it's limit is about 600 yards. So now I'll have to spend more to rebarrel it, when I'm already $750 into my rifle alone. If I'd have just started with a better gun, I'd have saved money in the long run.

And jpattersonnh know what he's talking about. If you don't agree with him, you're probably wrong. If I see he commented, I usually read it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  4. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

Actually not set on semi auto, it's preferred but not 100% necessary I was looking at a few bolt action savages today that spoke to me a bit. Thanks for the wisdom, like I said I know next to nothin and I'm here to learn so If I say something completely stupid I apologize

5. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Don't be afraid to ask questions! These forums are great - some are better than others - the more you read and post replies sooner or later if you ask a silly question somebody will let you know! Just grow a thick skin and don't take it personal. I guarantee you, even ole jpattersonnh can learn something from a thread where sombody asked a "stupid" question. Asking about which rifle is a good starter long range weapon is as good a question as any other I have read here.

6. Catfish

Catfish New Member

I am a Savage fan. The main reason is because it is so easy to change barrels and you can do it yourself vary easily, as long as you know how to head space. As for long range shooting you will need a barrel with a fast twist to shoot heavy, ( high BC bullets). You will also need a good range finder if you are going to do it in the field. I have 2 calibers I useing for long range coyote shooting. They are the 224 TTH and the 6-284. The 224 TTH is the better coyote cal. but the 6-284 will do deer also. If your wanting to get real serious the 338 Lapua is great, but cost alot to shoot and build. If your talking 1000 yrds. and being competive it may be worth the cost. You will also need a good drop chart to know what to dial in for elevation. You will also need to have wind drift on your chart. If your looking for a factory round one of the 300 mags. would be good or the 7 mm Rem. mag. The 338 Win. mag. has alittle advantage, but their heavy bullets ten to rickochet worse. Look through you loading manual and find something that shoots heavy bullets, for caliber, fast that you think you would like. I would also recomand Leupold scopes. They track great, and that is absolutely nessary for long range shooting.

7. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

How far would you consider to be "long range"? Also, are you going to be shooting long range for competition, or just as a hobby?

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

If you want to get into the long range stuff I would first recommend finding a shooting range that has a 1000 yard firing line. Then I would go there and find the clubs that shoot 1000 yards. Meet and greet these folks. See what they are using and go from there with the rifle. Many of these shooters will have good used rigs for sale and they are already set up. Good for a beginner. A good number these clubs will have a clinic they put on or sponser once a year or so for the new long range shooter. I find this is something you have to physically do and not get confused by many others opinions you can find on the internet about long range shooting. Thats not to say theres not some good info on the internet, but that this type of shooting is more about doing and not just reading. Hands on stuff is critical here with some good mentors to keep you on track and help you progress while your learning this sport.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  9. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Great advice. There aren't any 1000 yard ranges in my area but that would a great place to start if there were. If you can't find a 1000 yard range then you need to figure out what the furthest you are going to be able to shoot will be, and then go from there.

10. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

I have a piece of property just north of 900 yards that I use for shooting it used to be a clay mine but now its all flat and level with 1 small burm at 500 yds and one gigantic burm at the end of the property, I was a member of a shooting club once but it was an odd club that required me to sell raffle tickets n all kinds of crazy nonsense so I quit. Rights now I'm leaning towards the Savage I was looking at today. I'm not looking to make any thousand yard shots yet but somewhere between 5 and 6 hundred yds to start.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

To be perfectly frank, you could find a good heavy barreled .308 very useful. Savage, Howa, CZ, make great Rifles that would fit your needs. Now, I like a barrel that is 22..25" long and a heavy. The 20" will work, but you loose a bit at 500+ yards. I like a flat bottom receiver, just more ridged and easy to bed. Funny thing is my flat bottom receivers never need a bedding job. You may be looking at a 400.00 savage, but something like a CZ 550 Varminter is going to run close to $850.00. But you will not have to mess w/ it. $350.00 is not quite enough for the scope, bases and rings. Add another 600.00 (250.00) and you would have a serious rifle.

12. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Check the store at snipercentral.com build a rem 700 w b&c stock...it is sub moa you will not be disappointed

13. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

There are a lot of aspects of shooting short range that also translate into long range shooting...proper breathing, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, and a stable firing position. One suggestion I would make would be to start with short range shooting using iron sights because problems with your shooting fundamentals will be more pronounced with the iron sights.

As for shooting fundamentals for me, my shooting abilities were refined in the Marine Corps. Here is a link that you may find useful.
    http://www.txmarks.org/cdfiles/Individual Weapons/MC Marksmanship.pdf

When you get into the longer range shooting, being able to properly judge wind speeds and angles is a skill you will need. Ballistics will also play a factor when you get into the longer ranges. So dust off your google-fu skills and start reading about both ballistics and judging the wind.

Good luck and happy shooting.

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The .338 Lapua is a fine long range rifle. The choice of many sniper units. Savage offers a long range .338 Lapua.:)

15. TM3TenraiSS

TM3TenraiSS New Member

Aside from shooting .22 all my shooting is with Iron Sites I grew up shooting a 300 savage model 99

16. weatherbyman

weatherbyman New Member

The PSL is not the rifle one would choose for long range,

I have many rifles that I feel comfortable shooting out to 600 yards, I have 3 I will take out past 1000,you want to start with a well made bolt action rifle,I shoot REMINGTON and weatherby rifles for long range,my REMINGTON is a 7mm REMINGTON ultra mag,my other two are 30-378 and 338-378 weatherbys,

To achieve the distance takes more than a fine rifle and optics,I have all my rifles triggers swapped for jewell triggers,I
    Have all guns rebeded,I will not shoot the long distance with out atleast a 28" bbl,the longer the bbl the more powder that burned with large magnums,thus making much more accurate and gives you all the power that is to be expected for the load that you have worked up,

Now as far as bullets, burger builds a excellent bullet for extream ranges, I use them in my ultramag and I use Barnes LRX my weatherbys,

Optics,my personal preference is a leupold vx lll 6.5*20*50mm with a 30mm tube but I have them take out the wire reticles and replace them with etched glass with the TMR reticles,

But the main thing to remember when taking animals at these ranges is bullet placement,a 5-600 yard shot is a walk in the park compaired to a 700 + yard shot,your energy ,velocities ,wind, altitude, it all plays a very large part in not taking the shot but making a ethical shot, my farthest shot and kill is 819 yards,my furthest shot on paper is 1050 yards, you have to practice these shots constantly and train your self to breath ,sqeeze the trigger with grace,don't rush your shot,and again practice!!!

Now take all of this with a grain of salt and everything else you have read in this tread,I don't agree with everything that I have read on this tread,the one thing I do agree with is get to a range or shoot with some one that can HELP YOU with this,not act like they can help,if you don't like the way they do it find some one else,it took me 3 different people,cause every one has there own style off shooting,not to say one way is right and the other is wrong,

GOOD LUCK!!!! hope this can help in some way for you,