Looking to buy the Shield

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by CO-OP180, Jun 10, 2012.

1. CO-OP180

CO-OP180 New Member

I am looking to buy the 9mm M&P Shield can you guys help with the PROS & CONS of that gun. Thanks to all that help out.

2. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

pros and cons are going to be tough. reason being, the newness of the pistol in question.

you're gonna have to wait a bit until these things really get out there, so folks can find out what works, and what doesn't with them.

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Its hard to get now. No one have them in stock. Im tempted to get the 9mm too. My LGS had it for $405 last time. I heard the trigger pull is very nice.

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I picked up one in .40 S&W two weeks ago. Yes the trigger is very nice, accurate and very concealable. It is just a hair bigger than my Ruger LC9. I paid $404 for it at a LGS here in NH it was the first one they had got it and was only out for 15 mins. I've only got 100 rounds through it so far but no one single problem.

5. CO-OP180

CO-OP180 New Member

How is the recoil on it?

6. marc29th

marc29th New Member

It's got a bit more kick than my LC9 and about the same as my friend's Glock 27.

7. marc29th

marc29th New Member

But it is totally manageable and I was quickly able to reacquire my target for a 2nd shot.

8. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Here:s mine comes with one 6 round mag and an extended 7 round mag.

ForumRunner_20120610_221755.jpg

9. lucznik

lucznik New Member

That all depends on your point of reference. For a POLYMER, STRIKER-FIRED gun, the trigger is pretty nice. However, in comparison to the trigger on older steel-framed S&W 3rd Gen pistols, S&W revolvers, or even quality 1911s, the trigger is pretty bad... heavy, lots of creep, and a fair amount of overtravel.

10. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

I bought one for just because I thought it was a cool pistol. I typically carried an M&P9c or a Bodyguard .380. I cant say i needed one What has happened over the last two months is that this gun is almost ALWAYS the one I carry now. I can't say enough good things about it.

Recoil is minimal for me. No worse than my 9c. Comfortable to carry. I didn't think anything would replace the 9c as my primary carry gun, but it has.

And the price point is fantastic. To get a gun of that quality that shoots as well as it does for me, for under $400, is tough to beat. As soon as I run across another one, I'm planning on buying it, too.

11. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

Oh, and I can carry the Shield the same way I carry the BG. My favorite way to carry it is in the watch pocket in my jeans. Just like I do the BG. It fits well enough that the trigger is covered and I don't need a holster. I'm going more and more to appendix carry for all of my guns when I can, and the Shield is great for that.

12. bones72

bones72 New Member

I hope to get one of these for myself. I love the m&p line !!! Very good guns !!!

13. Robbie762

Robbie762 New Member

I've got the .40 and I really like it. The 9 wasn't an option, I'm just partial to the .40 S&W. Not at all "snappy" like most report with that caliber. Easy to control and the most comfortable to conceal of any I own, and that includes the BG .380.

14. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Since having gotten mine, I have to say there are no cons.

15. lucznik

lucznik New Member

Had my Shield out yesterday. Put about 200 rds through it. My particular gun doesn't seem to like the aluminum cased Blazer stuff. It did fine with both Winchester white box and even the super-cheapo Tulammo. It also seemed to like Hornady's Zombie Max ammo, but that stuff is too expensive to be shooting it a lot.

It is really an exceptionally pleasant gun to shoot, especially considering its small size. Quite accurate too.

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thats it.. the Shield just moved to the top of my to buy list!

17. mag318

mag318 Member

The Shield is a great addition to the M&P line and it has the best trigger of that line. It's thin but feels very good in hand and is extremely accurate. I put 300 troublefree rounds through mine and just sent it off to Robar for thier NP3 electroless nickle finish since this is a carry gun. Try one and you won't be disappointed.

Attached Files:

18. Robbie762

Robbie762 New Member

My Shield .40 and new Crossbreed Mini-Tuc. Great combination!

Attached Files:

19. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

Have you considered a M&P 9c?

I was thinking of getting a shield.

As I was doing my research I decided instead on the M&P 9c.

[​IMG]

I'm not saying its the correct choice for you.

I'd just suggest you look at them both.

:cool:

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It seems just about every gun in the M&P lineup is nothing short of outstanding. I got ahold of one of the early batch Shields and am extremely satisfied. Great gun. Carries like a micro, performs and handles like a medium compact. And 8+1 is excellent capacity given it's size.

In the next few weeks I'll probably add an XDs45. We'll have to wait and see which wins out for EDC. But I have a feeling my trusty old PF9 will become a bit obsolete at that point.

I've owned a Shield for several weeks. 100% satisfied. I bought mine a few days after news of it hit the web. Thus far I can offer up exactly zero deterring factors about this gun...but there's plenty to love.