Looking to buy my first rifle.

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Forum' started by HogHunting, Jan 30, 2014.

1. HogHunting

HogHunting New Member

As the title implies, I am currently looking to buy my first rifle. I have decided to get a tactical rifle, and have a $900 - $950 budget. I won't be actively shooting it, as I will be getting it for the sole purpose of hunting hogs and coyotes. The problem is, I'm lost. I have looked at gun after gun but can't seem to find one really suitable for my needs. If y'all could offer any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If the sole purpose is hunting hogs and dogs, why go tactical? You pay more for "tactical" than you would for practical. What area are you hunting in? What kind of distances are we talking about, terrain, how much walking and calling are you going to do? A good, light .308 bolt action may just right.

3. HogHunting

HogHunting New Member

Well, the reason I have chosen tactical is primarily due to the massive packs of hogs. I'm hunting up in Teague County. We do quite a bit of walking and we shoot at a maximum of 150yards. As for the terrain, it is mostly open farm land and some heavily wooded areas.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

DPMS .308 Oracle is going to push the budget, but it gives you an auto loading .308 that is optic friendly, but doesn't leave you a lot of room in the budget for the actual optics. You could get a Remington .308 autoloader in a more "traditional" style for less. Would still do the same thing functionally for less money. IF 150 yds is about the max range, then a good lever gun in .30-30 or .35 Rem would still get the job done and is still a fine, and handy rifle. LeverEvolution ammo is very accurate and extends the range a bit by increasing velocity, reducing drag and flattening the trajectory.

5. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Any decent milspec AR-15 with a quality 2-7 x32 scope. My current AR is a bastard franken gun but all the parts are quality and milspec and it has had nary a jam and will hurt a sounder of hogs.

6. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you hunted hogs before?

7. HogHunting

HogHunting New Member

Firstly, I thought about the .308 Oracle prior to this post, but heard some really harsh things about DPMS. Secondly, I was also told I should build a gun from the ground up, but not sure about that option. Finally, of course I've hunted hogs before. I hunted them with my bud's Bushmaster, and it got the job done.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

This is my new boar gun....An Arsenal SAR M1F. For a "tactical rifle", I recommend a 7.62 (.308) bullet. Either x39mm or x51mm casing is fine. Great size bullet with plenty of energy. "Tactical Rifles"....SKS, AK-47, AKM, AR10 to name a few. My personal opinion. Normally I hunt pigs with a CZ-550 chambered in .308. Bolt actions, especially Mauser actions;), are inherently more accurate.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
  9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

10. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Jagermeister - Lever-action rifles were "assault rifles" when semi-autos were merely a gleam in John Browning's eye!

12. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I really like my Ruger Gunsite Scout. It 's a good all around rifle that could be used for hunting deer to coyotes. With 10 round magazines of 308 you've got some nice knock down power, and it'll hold a nice fixed or low power scope or red dot sight. It's not great at any one thing, but is a reliable, versatile rifle. And it is a decent value. I got mine for under $700.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Don't believe everything you read or hear about DPMS. Most AR nuts are brand fans,and then the real rambo types think everything has to be Mil-spec.
    I've built several AR15's over the years,and also have two Rock River's-a 223 and a 458 SOCOM,along with a DPMS LR-260H. None of which are Mil-spec,and they all have served me well for years of trouble free service.

I'm not much for the Oracle line of DPMS,nor any other "Entry" level firearm. Why buy a stripped down model when for a few hundred more,you can get a very good weapon that needs very little added to it.
    I change the triggers in all of my AR style weapons,the factory triggers from almost everyone are pretty stiff,and gritty feeling.

14. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I was looking at those and was pretty impressed for what you get for the price. I think it was around 850 on sale at Academy here. I decided to build another AR-15 so I put the .308 on the back burner.

15. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

How bout a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30?

You could get a Mossberg MVP which shoots .223 Remington and uses AR magazines, but it's a bolt action..

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I think you want a MSR-Modern Sporting Rifle.

Seems to me the difference between "tactical"

and a regular rifle is a few hundred dollars.

I hunt coyotes with 5.56/.223, no problem. It will also

put down hogs, but I usually use a larger caliber, preferably

with a bayonet on the front, because we are hunting in close

brush in Florida, and some of those alphas are mean, fast, and

big. YMMV.

17. cgas1

cgas1 New Member

Hogs like 30 cal better, they fall faster
    Look at a Ruger mini 30 ,7.62/39 and 20 count mags

18. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Looking to have one of these by the end of this year,

BAR ShorTrac Hog Stalker Realtree Max-1
    Realtree Max-1 camo, picatinny accesory and scope rails, detachable box magazine, pistol grip, gas piston operated, short action, semi auto hunting rifle

308 Win 20"9 lbs 5 ozNo Pricing Available
    Features For: 308 Win
    [ Print Features ]
    Item Number
    031035218C
    UPC
    Action Length
    Short Action
    Caliber
    308 Win
    Barrel Length
    20"
    Overall Length
    41 1/2"
    Length of Pull
    13 7/8"
    Weight
    9 lbs p

Description:
    Incorporating the defining features of the Modern Sporting Rifle design, the BAR ShortTrac Hog Stalker Realtree Max-1 is a hard-hitting, accurate, and steady hunting platform. The super rigid 20" heavy contour barrel promotes superb accuracy with lethal ballistics out to extended intermediate distances. The heat dissipating properties of the heavy barrel ensure minimal Point of Impact shift for successive shots, so if you find yourself taking down a passel of destructive hogs, you can be sure that your rounds will find the mark time after time if you are doing your part.

RECEIVER – Aircraft-grade alloy; Realtree Max-1 finish; Drilled and tapped for scope mount
    BARREL – 20” Heavy contour; Realtree Max-1 finish; Recessed target Crown
    ACTION – Gas-operated autoloader; Multi-lug rotary bolt; Crossbolt safety; 10-round detachable box magazine
    STOCK – Composite; Realtree Max-1 camo finish; Dura-Touch Armor Coating; Ergonomic fully adjustable; Textured pistol grip and fore-end grip
    FEATURES – Three interchangeable cheekpieces and recoil pads for different fit options; Ambidextrous magazine release; MIL-STD 1913 bottom rail with integrated swivel stud for bipod and/or sling; Two-piece scope bases included; Black plastic case

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1422151558.067464.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

19. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

Savage just released a scout Cabelas on sale for $550