looking to buy my first revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by M_BRINSON, Mar 6, 2008.

1. M_BRINSON

M_BRINSON New Member

hey everyone. im new to the site today and looking for some input. i currently own a Magnum Research Baby Eagle in .45ACP. ive had it for about 4 years now. I just received my permit to buy another and im seriously considering a revolver. i was looking at a 357mag or maybe a 44mag with a 6 inch or longer barrel. im looking to hear from anyone who has experience with revolvers and can give some suggestions.so guys give me some feedback! Cant wait to read it thanks a-lot!

Mike from NJ

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  2. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

SW 44s are nice- the 629s are reliable and very well tested.

So are the Rugers-

44mag with a 6" barrel isnt bad on kick, 357 is even less. I own a 2" SW 44. Love it.

3. M_BRINSON

M_BRINSON New Member

i was actually looking at the Taurus Raging Bull 44mag. say if i wanted to mount a scope on it should i go with a 6 inch barrel or should i go longer? in your opinion how is recoil of a 44mag compared to my 45acp? im expecting it to be equal or considerably more. is it true the longer the barrel the less felt recoil? what about using it for hunting, is longer more accurate? i have no consideration for concealed carry because its impossible to get a ccw permit in NJ unless your a cop. so it would be strictly a home defense/hunting gun.

4. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

Taurus is a decent company too-

45 is nothing compared to a 44. 44 is much more kick- however its not bad. The longer the barrel the more kick as its got more time to build pressure in the barrel. At least thats how I understand it. But yes longer barrel can be more accurate to a point.

A 44 with a 6" barrel is not a great home defense gun as its large and cumbersom. Plus the power means it woudl go through just about anything including walls and people.

5. M_BRINSON

M_BRINSON New Member

i also considered the raging bull in 357mag. its an 8 shot. in your opinion what do you think id be better off with being an inexperienced shooter? my only shooting has been with my .45acp and my 12ga over/under

6. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

personally- Id go with the 44. But then again I perfer more firepower.

your 45 is the perfect Home defence weapon. Ive shot those baby eagles and think they are one of the best 45s Ive ever shot.

7. Zappa

Zappa New Member

I think you have that backwards. Felt recoil is a function of weight. The longer the barrel, the heavier the gun. The heavier the gun, the more dampening of recoil. Try a 3" .44 and a 6" or 8" with the same loads, you'll see right away that the 3" kicks a lot more.

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

The revolver everyone should have at least one of:

4" DA 357 with adjustable sights.

S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Colt, whatever. My current one is a pinned and recessed S&W model 19. Shoot 38 "cowboy loads" up to full house 357.

If you want a revolver in 45 ACP to go with your auto, S&W 625. I've been
    having fun with mine this year shooting USPSA Revolver division.

Bill

9. M_BRINSON

M_BRINSON New Member

thanks for the feedback guys its a big help. i found that i have a indoor shooting range about half an hour away that you can rent guns at. so im just gonna have to rent a 357 and a 44 to see which i like best. but looking at the cost of ammo im leaning more towards the 357 simply cause itll be cheaper on the pocket over the long run. eventually ill get into reloading my own stuff but just dont have the means for it yet. has anyone shot the Taurus raging bull 357mag with the 8 inch barrel? im gonna be making my purchase probably within a week or so and i just want to make sure im not buying junk. what about upgrades for revolvers? what kinda stuff is available?

10. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

Zappa

Hrmm- My 2" 44 barely kicks at all

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

revolver

For a first revolver,a 4" barreled .357 is impossible to improve on,unless it's a .41 mag. With a .357 you can shoot lower power .38s for plinking/practice and a good full power 125-158 gr bullet will drop anybody on the planet with well 1 placed shot.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

4" .357 is the basis of any good revolver collection. If you plan on hunting with it 6" is better suited to the task. Depending on the size of Jersey deer .357 with a good 180 gr hard cast flat point will do the job. If you gotta have the .44 go for it but be prepared to trade it for something less punishing. Both my .44's were bought from macho men who thought they could handle the recoil only to sell them after less than a box of ammo.

13. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

lol- Only thing that makes me flinch is mt 450 marlin.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yea, a 450 marlin can make the best of us flinch. My .45-70 guide gun loaded with 340 gr hard cast flat points at 2100 FPS can do it too! Not something you want to shoot a box through in one sitting. Even with a Decellerator reoil pad it is punishing. I can't imagine how punishing it would be on the recieving end.

15. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

lol- 4 rounds is usually a good day for me.

However I usually put about 60rds through my 44 each outing.

250 through my 45

16. M_BRINSON

M_BRINSON New Member

thanks for all the info guys its been a big help!

17. Catfish

Catfish New Member

Would recomand that you buy a Ruger or a Smith and Wesson. I have heard some real Horror stories about the Taurus customer service. 1 about a gun I almost bough but let a friend have, I`m glad I let him have it.

18. Shooting98

Shooting98 New Member

I've also heard bad things about Taurus customer service. I was talking to a local well known gun store around here and they said that taurus was not very friendly as far as reps coming out to give demonstrations or helping out with customers questions and things like that and other things.

19. aslocumb

aslocumb New Member

I would say for deer, go with a ,44 Mag, I have a Model 629 and it is sweet. For self defense I would go with the ,357 Mag. However I am partial to my Kimber .45 acp. If you haven’t done much handgun shooting I would get a .22 rim fire to practice and get good with.

20. DoubleAction

DoubleAction New Member

The Colt Python Changed My Opinion About Four Inch Barrels

As Did The S&W Model 27-2

[​IMG]