Looking to buy my first handgun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by JackofTrades, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackofTrades

JackofTrades New Member

Well I'm new to the forums, so this is my first thread post. As the title suggests, I am looking to by my first gun, and I've been looking at handguns.I'm looking to get either 9mm or a .40 cal. I've been looking at a Beretta fs 92 or a sig p229. The maximum I would like to spend is $700. I just want to get some more opinions about other guns. I want to see what else is out there before I make a decision. You guys can suggest any gun, the above are the ones I've just been primarily looking at. Just explain why and what you like about it.

Note: I don't want any compact guns, i have big hands and just can't stand holding small guns. I mainly plan on using this for some shooting at a range, maybe competitions, and home defense.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Is it mostly for self-defense carry?... range?... home defense?... car?... plinking?...

3. JackofTrades

JackofTrades New Member

Sorry I don't know if you saw my edit, when i made it but i specified what i plan on using it for.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Being a little biased, I would suggest looking at Springfield Armory 1911's and other 1911's in your price range.
    Look for good sights that are easy to see.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Glock & Springfield Armory XDm would do what you want and meet your budgetary guidelines.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't care for the Beretta's. They don't feel as bad as Glocks do, but they're close. But that is simply a matter of personal preference.

I love my Springfield Xdm 40. Very comfortable in my hand, good safeties, very crisp trigger. It is just an excellent shooting gun, and is the gun I shoot best out of my collection.

Although I don't own one, you might also want to check out the Ruger SR40 or SR40c. Lots packed into that gun for the price.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

8. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

My current favorite is a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (all steel 9mm or .40 cal). Check it out!

9. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

Im a glock man myself you can beat on them and they still function with out flaw "not that I would suggest doing that" but seriously they are an all around good weapon

10. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

If you have any friends with guns ask them if you can go along and shoot one or two. You will have many suggestions as to what to buy.

Remember the gun has to fit your hand first like a comfortable shoe to your foot.

Next will be from a reliability stand point. Here on this forum is where you'll get educated.

Caliber for fun and SD would be a nice 9mm in my world. The 40 would be nice but to much recoil for a follow up shot for a newbie.

Glock. As much as I hated it when it first came out, I still prefer a simple easy gun that goes Bang when the trigger is pulled.

It has very low maintenance and maybe one of these days I'll clean my CCW 10mm Glock.

11. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I can tell by your Avatar LOL.

[​IMG]

Just joking, sorry can't resist. :D

12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I recommend you go to some local gunshops and get a feel for the various firearms that are out there and see which feels the best to you, and if there are some gun ranges that have rental programs I would try out some firearms too.

Some of the firearms I would recommend are; The Glock 19, Glock 23, Ruger SR9, Ruger SR40, Springfield XDm's, Springfield 1911's (if you can manage the recoil), Ruger GP100 .357 magnum, or Smith and Wesson .357 magnum.

13. JackofTrades

JackofTrades New Member

We have a ruger gp 100 in our house, its not mine, but i love it when i shoot it. But im looking for a semi-auto handgun. From what most people are saying i should look at some of the springfield XDm's

14. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I own an XDm and it is an excellent pistol...but not my favorite/best. ;)

15. everoblivion2005

everoblivion2005 New Member

Bersa

I have a bersa thunder 9 17+1. Its very accurate, simple to clean, built to last forever and +p rated. I bought mine new for $450 and I've fired 1200 rds though it (500 +p) and its never missed a beat. For $700 you could even get a duo tone 9 or 40 bersa. it was my first handgun and it's still my favorite.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do yourself a favor before you decide on a purchase and find someone willing to share their Browning Hi-Power. You will discover why it is called the "King of Nines".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With 15+1 capability and a John M. Browning design you will be hard-pressed to find a current design that comes close!

Shoot one, you'll thank this old man! ;)

17. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

From what I hear the XDm's are excellent firearms. I would look at all the available options at some of your local gunshops. What are some of the features your looking for in a pistol?

18. JackofTrades

JackofTrades New Member

well right now it I'll look at Sig p229, beretta fs 92, springfield XDm, or a browning hi-power. But its going to take a day or two for me to get the time to get to the nears gun store to take a look at these. If anyone has more suggestions feel free to add. I am still no where close to makign up my mind.

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Take a look at the CZ75b's too.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Excellent advice here and in other posts. Definitely handle and shoot a lot of pistols before choosing. 9mm and 40S&W are excellent choices, I have both but carry 40S&W for SD. Definitely try the compact Glock 19/23 or the larger 17/22 if you really want something bigger.

And you do owe it to yourself to try a Hi Power like Cane said. A real classic that showed the world how to build a 9mm. It fits my hand better than any other pistol. Day in and day out I'd hate to beat one up though. Which is where Glock excels, beat the tar out of it and it still works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.