Looking to buy my first AK what do you have experience with

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by CAMCHAMPION1988, Sep 9, 2011.

1. CAMCHAMPION1988

CAMCHAMPION1988 New Member

Hello i am looking to buy my first AK now i have been wanting one for the longest time. I was at the range with my G17 and 1911 and this dude let me shoot his Romanian AK. It was an underfolder and i really liked the action of it Now i am Original kind of guy. I like the Beautiful Wood Furniture type something that is well made not cheaply made. I don't know what Country makes the best i hear good and bad about all of them. Whether it is the Chinese,Bugarian,Romanian,Russian,Yugoslavian or whatever. I mean i guess it is all a matter of personal preference when it comes down to it.

GOTTA HAVE WELL BUILT QUALITY-BEAUTIFUL WOOD FURNITURE-RELIABILITY-CHROME LINED BARREL- NO MAGAZINE WABBLE-ACCURACY-BOLT HOLD OPEN FEATURE IF POSSIBLE.

I hear Yugoslavian magazines have a ''Bolt Hold Open'' type of thing from what i have been told.

I know i sound like a picky ass lol i am willing to spend $3K i have been saving for a bit for this.

What AK would be perfect for me based on my wants what AK'S do you guys own???

I saw this one here AK-47 Rifle for Sale Atlantic Firearms.com

It is Romanian but what is the model number and company name???? I emailed them on the Sep 2nd haven't heard back. I think it looks like a Sweet deal but maybe not i don't know anyone bought or own this AK???

I am also looking for a Astra A-50 .380 or Astra Constable .380 If you got one i am interested i got an FFL Agent.

2. coba29

coba29 New Member

After taking what you were looking into consideration I would suggest an arsenal. If you go cheap the chances of getting good quality are a lot slimmer but definitely achievable. I have a Romanian wasr10 I know those are considered to be the bottom of the barrel but if you know what to look for you can't go wrong. I don't think youll need to spend all that cash on an ak maybe 1300 and the rest you could use for goodies :)

3. orangello

orangello New Member

4. dogwalker3110

dogwalker3110 New Member

Arsenal AK is the way to go. Very beautiful great shooting rifle.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think you need to do some(much)more homework before you buy your AK.

You have $3K your willing to spend and yet a entry level CIA WASR-10 Romey catches your eye??

I'll tell you what, for that $3K you can have my Zombie Slayer Scout rifle below including 1K ammo, optics and spare parts. I'll even include shipping!

[​IMG]

Just send me the cash and a copy of your FFL.

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I'll tell you what I would do if I were you.
    You said "Now i am Original kind of guy." so if you are wanting an AK & wanting to keep it original just to enjoy the basic beauty of the AK.
    But still want all that you asked for "GOTTA HAVE WELL BUILT QUALITY-BEAUTIFUL WOOD FURNITURE-RELIABILITY-CHROME LINED BARREL- NO MAGAZINE WABBLE-ACCURACY-BOLT HOLD OPEN FEATURE IF POSSIBLE."
    All except the bolt hold open feature can be found in the Polish Tantal AK74.
    It has a wire side folding stock that can be changed out to a wood stock by removing two screws and two pins.
    The Tantal fires the 5.45x39 round that is as accurate as most ARs & is dirt cheap if you buy in bulk.(as low as 10.8 cents per round)
    5.45x39 Ammunition
    And if you buy it here it is only $389.99 you could pay for the gun with the money saved over the 7.62x39 on the first few cases of ammo.
    Unadvertised Specials
    It is a little more than half way down the page.
    Here is a picture of my Tantal and a few more from my arsenal.
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ak-sks-picture-thread-21039/index11.html
    It is post # 106 and here it is with a wood stock.
    [​IMG]
    This is a Chinese stock it is all I had to throw on to show how easy it is to change.

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Problem with the 5.45x39 is there arent as many makers for the ammo so you are limited to where you can buy it. If I hadnt gotten such a good deal on my AK74 I would have gone with the 7.62x39.

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Good point, but Hornady and Federal have now dove into this Russian cartridge too! As long as the demand keeps steady for a couple more (5) years, then this cartridge will be on the same availability level as 7.62 x 39.

But I'll agree and say that you need to do much, MUCH more homework. Look on Gunbroker and Atlanticfirearms and Centerfire, there are many options. My Dad recently bought a Saiga conversion from Arms of America, they called it "Russian Red AK" I believe from Koryankovich (or close to that) Armory and it is SWEET. Groups right about the same as my most recent build and 1/2 the size of a WASR. For $3K you can buy one of those (nickel plated, custom furniture, etc.) 2 cases of ammo and 20 mags. . .. Oh, don't forget a drum.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

W/ that kind of budget you can have a Fuller built AK or purchase a historically correct collectors item.

10. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

There are not chrome lined barrels at all

11. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

+1 saiga
    true russian
    Easy to convert
    lots of parts
    any caliber you like
    I am a Saiga fan boy lol

12. Krinkbusta

Krinkbusta New Member

I sent you a PM. Search my posts and read what I just wrote in the Chinese ban thread.

I doubt anyone will tell you a debanned Mak is a bad first AK, its something one would more than likely not want to get rid of. Let me know if you like the one pictured on the top in the pic I posted in the other thread. It might be moving to fund other projects.

13. Krinkbusta

Krinkbusta New Member

Lol.... No need to search my posts, your the op in both threads.

I've been up way to long cents and its not over yet. At 7am I hit the 24 hour mark. At 8am I start more mandatory OT which will run into my regular shift that ends at 2300... Cell battery is getting very very low. FML in a broke a$$ car with no working charger outlets...

14. Mrpbrute

Mrpbrute New Member

If your dropping 3k on an ak, go nowhere else but mark krebs at krebs custom. He does the best gunsmithing I have ever seen for the ak's. As far as wood furniture, iron wood designs(I believe that's the name) will custom make your wood to your needs. I personally own a romanian wasr 10/63. It shoots 3inch groups at 75yrds. That's all I asked for in my battle rifle. But, as far as getting lucky with every wasr that has ever grazed the earth, no they all are different. But, as far as filling in your ak wants and needs, mark krebs will do it all