Looking to buy my first 1911

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by douglascech, Jan 8, 2013.

1. douglascech

douglascech New Member

I know nothing about them as I am a first time buyer but have shot a few before any recommendations ?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out Canebrake's sticky in the 1911 section first. read some of the history of the 1911. the 1911 has a very rich and interesting history as does it's designer, John M. Browning.

most people who own 1911's are dedicated enthusiasts and some are even obsessed with them as the owning and shooting of them can be addictive.

the 1911 is a single action, semi auto pistol that is, well to some of us one of the best pistol designs ever made. they can be very accurate, reliable and come in many different materials, sizes and calibers.

read up on them here on the forum and on Google and then come back and ask more questions. we will be glad to help if possible.

3. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Recommend you start saving your money. Bought my first 1911 this past November, my second in December, and there is a damn good chance I won't hit March before I have a third...

As axxe55 said, read through the 1911 stickies. I actually went back to the last page of the 1911 forum and have been working my way forward for a couple weeks now, great information to be had.

4. Axxe55

oh Otis! sorry brother, but i fear it may be too late for you now. you have that dreaded 1911 addiction!:D

but the best cure is to treat the symptoms, and buy another 1911!:p

5. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Oh I know, I know... I was a lost cause as soon as I brought the first one home. The 1911 picture thread needs to be deleted, it's pure evil.

6. Axxe55

nope, you were hooked when they caught your attention. you were a lost cause when you picked up your first one! :eek:

Otis, there is nothing evil about that thread, that's just our support group!:D

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I bought my first 1911 just a couple weeks ago (Ruger SR1911). It has quickly become my favorite. My short list for what I was looking for was Springfield Loaded and the Ruger. Obviously there's plenty of others to consider.

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Drink the Coolaid, love the Coolaid! Government here, Commander there, everywhere an Office(ai)r.

9. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Axxe55 said all that's necessary to you. There are many 1911 versions out there, but asking questions and research should help you decide which one to buy. There's just something about them that only the look on the shooter's face can express. This old Colt's the original 1918 version. It will help to start you on a wonderful journey searching for your first one. There's lots of great 1911's out there to see and many members have them. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

There are way too many options to be able to answer that well. I only own one right now (E-Series SW1911Sc Commander with bobtail), but I've bought and sold a handful. Each one taught me something else I do or don't prefer.

Depending on your budget, just buy a Springfield Loaded, parkerized or stainless, put 500 rounds through her over 2 or 3 range trips. Clean it each time. If you don't like something, it has enough features that you'll have some opinions.

They all sell used at near retail value. You really can't lose much money trying out a solid 1911.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I really like my Taurus. You can find good and bad reviews of them on this board but they are inexpensive and I have not had any issues.

I don't remember which section but there is a newly modified Taurus post with pictures of a gorgeous gun. I will try and find the link.

12. Axxe55

i think Olympus started that thread about his Taurus 1911.

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Yep its in the 1911 section. I don't know how to copy a link from the phone app or i would put it here.

14. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

15. Axxe55

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Don't overlook SIG. They make great pistols and their 1911s are well worth the cost.

17. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

It looked great the first time, even better the second, I'm half hoping he dings it up so we get a third variation.:p

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Thanks fellas. I've found that its just really hard to get away from the public stigma of owning a Taurus. Too many people will poo-poo it without giving it a chance. That's why I had all of the Taurus logos milled off the gun. With it having big billboards advertising that it was a Taurus, nobody paid it much attention. But remove the name and give it a little bead blast and everybody wants to get their hands on it at the range. Shoots the same as it did before, but now I guess people think its cooler because it doesn't advertise that its a Taurus. They are good entry level guns. I like them because they are the only maker offering a stainless model in the lower price range. I just don't care for parkerizing and that seems to be what everyone else uses in the lower price range.

But use my experience as an example. Buy whatever is going to make you happy. Spend as much or as little as you want. Then find a good gunsmith and have them tailor your gun to your style and then enjoy it. I have as much fun shooting my high end guns as l do shooting my entry level guns.

19. Genec

Genec New Member

I always say to save alot of money and heartache and just have a good 1911 smith build you a gun, with a good used frame and slide and all hand fitted, forged parts. You'll be miles ahead. All brand name will have MIMS parts in them and have to be worked on. With a build, you can have all the bells and whistles that YOU want, the first time.

20. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

That's the next one for me. I was gonna get the Nightmare Carry for XMas, but got side tracked. Hopefully I'll get it soon. If it's half as good as my old Sig 228 I'll be very happy.