looking to buy my first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by getem2011, Dec 27, 2011.

1. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I would like to purchase my first 1911 and will be heading my local shop to check some out but want all of your opinions. What are some things to consider when purchasing one? I'd like to stay around the 700 to 900 range. Prices and pics are much appreciated.
    I own a xdm9 but feel the need to pick one of these babies up.

Thanks everyone

2. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Try them all...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If thats your budget i'd say its just a matter of options (or lack of) that you want :cool:

4. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

5. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Are you saying that budget won't provide me a fair number of options?

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No, Just the opposite :)
    There are plenty of good 1911's with most anything you want on them in that range ;)

7. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Nice to know thanks fly. But what are some to consider, I need some ideas for starting points.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, I have a pretty much a plain GI model (except for sites) & a Tactical model- They're different but the same :confused: Course even on the Tactical I added a magwell & grips- Its just a matter of taste I guess- Of course if you are a lefty you'll need a ambi safety - other than that its just "other kool stuff" :D

[​IMG]

9. sbninja

sbninja New Member

As posted above, there are many manufacturers in your price range - they are all fine. You would just need to choose the one you like the looks of best.

For your first 1911, I would recommend a 5" Full size Goverment 1911.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Rock Island, High Standard,and Springfield are just a few to check out

11. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

First 1911

I'd suggest going for a Springfield 1911 A1 as a great starter for this type. It's a solid basic pistol and gives you a lot of options for future add ons, if you so desire. I would go with the basic trigger job, hogue wrap around finger grips and a match barrel bushing. Lots of fun.

12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Maybe one of these

The Caspian/Wilson custom is my favorite its a 70 series has a much better trigger and the slide to frame fit is phenomenal just to mention a few things, the Colt CE is no slouch, and the Remington R1 is a good 1911 for less than$776 it point really nice in my hand.:cool:

[​IMG]

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Springfield for US made and Rock Island for entry level starter. Picking up Rock Island 1911 myself here in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it.

14. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

This is my baby. Damnit I love this gun. Budsgunshop.com has them for ~$700, other places i've seen that carry them for $800+ (ridiculous). My suggestion is to buy from somewhere like Buds or Cheaperthandirt so you avoid paying sales tax...sales tax on a $700 purchase adds up to a LOT of money =) (and that money could be better spent on some ammo!)

[​IMG]

15. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

STI spartan is a great starting point. You can also go 9mm in a 1911 if you want.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You need to answer some questions before I can suggest a 1911.

Are you "old school" (GI) or tactical style inclined?

Is this for shooting (competitive/plinking) or PD (carry)?

17. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

In that price range you have plenty of options. You could go budget and get a Rock Island which have proved to be pretty reliable, a Springfield would be another wise choice as you should be able to get a "loaded" model in that price range which are very great 1911's that offer an already semi custom look (skeletonized hammer and trigger) or you can get a Sig 1911 that will get you a skeletonized hammer and the front strap checkering that i prefer. A lot of members on FTF don't like the square look of the Sig 1911's but they do offer their line of "traditional" 1911's that have the skelentonized hammer and trigger with the front strap checkering and the rounded slide. I would go with the Springer or the Sig. My higher end Sig Stx 1911 has proven to be IMO a work of art and shoots like a dream. No hiccups, very accurate and very reliable. This is what my Sig looks like after some inexpensive mods.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  18. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

sound of a wolf call whistle

That is a mighty fine example of a 1911, I gave Sig's a good long look when making my last 1911 purchase, this one really caught my eye SIG 1911T45RTSS 1911 45 8RD NS RV2TN $875.00 SHIPS FREE
    but I believe I like your model better, what model is it.

19. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

The Custom Shop STX.