Looking to buy my 1st AR-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by VegasGunGirl, Jul 18, 2012.

1. VegasGunGirl

VegasGunGirl New Member

Here in Vegas there is a gun store that is selling there own AR. It's has a polymer lower and is over all a decent AR. I'm not convinced yet though to buy it because it is not a true brand. The price is $800 when finished with heat shield forearm decent iron sights and some other add-on's. Does anyone have any Brand name AR that they would recommend or have any good pointers as to why I should avoid this local gun store brand? It's New Frontier Armory in Las Vegas and the gun is on their website if you wanna check it out. Thanks

Laura.

2. VegasGunGirl

VegasGunGirl New Member

G-15 G-TAC Complete Rifle
    $805.00
    16” G-15 G-TAC Complete Rifle
    Hand built in our shop with quality US made MIL-SPEC parts, these AR-15 rifles come ready to shoot! Also included is a 30rd MAGPUL PMAG and a Hard Case.
    FEATURES:
    -16” MATCH GRADE M4 profile stainless steel barrel (Black Finish)
    -1x8 Twist with 3 groove polygonal rifling and M4 Feed Ramp
    -1/2x28 threads / .750” diameter gas block / carbine length low profile gas system
    -A3 Upper Receiver forged from 7075-T6 aluminum with extended M4 feed ramps and “T” markings
    -M-16 style chrome lined MIL-SPEC bolt carrier group ISO 9001:2000 certified
    -YHM specter length diamond quad rail free float forearm with end cap made from 6061-T6 aluminum
    -YHM Phantom 5 port toothed compensator / flash hider
    -MAGPUL MBUS front and rear flip up sights
    -New Frontier Armory G-15 forged aluminum lower
    -Quality US made lower parts and commercial stock assembly

These are the specs for the gun.

3. jg3

jg3 New Member

Your original post says its a polymer lower...which I would stay away from. But the description says its a forged aluminum one. If that's the case, it sounds like a decent list of parts. Make sure the BCG is full auto (which it sounds like it is). I'm sure someone will be on here soon who can better speak to the actual brand themselves

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Ask if the bolt is shot peened and tested using magnet particle imaging. Also ask if the barrel has been MPI'd. If the answer is yes to these questions, it is made with quality parts.

YHM is high quality, I have a couple of their hand guards.

5. VegasGunGirl

VegasGunGirl New Member

16” LW-15 Complete Rifle
    Hand built in our shop with quality US made MIL-SPEC parts, these AR-15 rifles come ready to shoot! Also included is a 30rd MAGPUL PMAG and a Hard Case.
    FEATURES:
    -16” MATCH GRADE M4 profile stainless steel barrel (Black Finish)
    -1x8 Twist with 3 groove polygonal rifling and M4 Feed Ramp
    -1/2x28 threads / .750” diameter gas block/YHM front flip up sight / gas block combo
    -A3 Upper Receiver forged from 7075-T6 aluminum with extended M4 feed ramps and “T” markings
    -M-16 style chrome lined MIL-SPEC bolt carrier group ISO 9001:2000 certified
    -MAGPUL MOE Handguards
    -MAGPUL MBUS rear flip up sight
    -New Frontier Armory LW-15 polymer lower receiver
    -Quality US made lower parts and commercial stock assembly

This is the polymer lower AR. The price is $650

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Whatever brand upper you get, stick with metal lower. Only polymer lower I would consider would be for use on a dedicated .22 AR. YMMV

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I would stay away from the polymer lower too. Legally it's the firearm so why go super cheap there. In your price range I'd look at the S&W M&P-15 Sport or maybe a nice 16" PSA lightweight midlength. And if you really want to impress the guys get a Colt or BCM!

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If you can get an aluminum lower, that sounds like a really nice stick for the price.

STAY AWAY from the polymer receivers! I have personally seen (2) Carbon-15 (Bushmaster Brand) lowers that have cracked from "normal" usage.

I would be really curious to handle one of these and check for the usual suspects (tight fit, loose connections on Gas Key or Gas Block, mate up between upper and lower, etc).

If it passed the inspection test and the aluminum lower was included, for $805 that is a rifle that sounds like a winner. ;)

JD

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

my recomendation for a great heavy duty shtf ar15:

bravo company or colt

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The commercial stock assembly is something to avoid too.

"Quality US made lower parts and commercial stock assembly"

11. VegasGunGirl

VegasGunGirl New Member

Thanks for the tips. Think I am gonna pass on the store brand and go with a known manufacturer. I didn't trust the polymer lower and my instinct was right. :)

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think it's wise to pass on that one. The polymer lower and commercial stock/buffer tube are indicators of corners cut to meet a certain price point. Besides, $800-1000 can get you a really good AR that you'll be proud of and can trust if that very bad day ever comes. You'll see the names PSA, BCM, Colt and S&W a lot when good ARs are discussed. There are others of course. PSA tends to be the bargain these days.

Now there's nothing wrong with a custom build but I'd say do it yourself after reading the above stickys. Many of us here have done that and I can't remember anyone who was sorry they did, providing "due diligence" was done research-wise. (Most builds actually are assembling a stripped lower then buying a good upper receiver group.)

Anyway, lots of stickys and other informative threads here, take your time and enjoy!

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Hi VegasGunGirl. I'm on Vegas too and i do love shopping at NFA. It's my fav local store. I'd suggest the same as others did about the polymer. How heavy alumunium lowers these days? Not much difference!
    Also i remember you are the girl with Desert Eagle, so polymer won't be your cup of tea ;). Just saying..
    As it will be your 1st AR, i'd suggest the

S&W M&P15
    http://grabagun.com/s-w-m-p15moe-556nato-16-moe-blk.html

Troy Defense at Dick's Sporting Goods
    http://www.troydefense.com/firearmsaccessories/troy-5-56-carbine/

Colt
    http://grabagun.com/colt-mfg-co-inc-le6920mpb-car-5-56-16-1-30rd.html

Dd V7
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ts_id/411551098/DAN+M4+CAR+V7+6.8SPCII+18+S2W

Hope this helps..