looking to buy an everday carry pistol for open carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by MTHunter, Jun 2, 2013.

1. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

I was looking at the Baby Eagle but the MR dealers here rarely carry them and as soon as they get them they are gone so I am having to look for something else. I was looking at the SD40 today on the Smith & Wesson site but saw no mention of whether or not it had an external safety. Does it have one? My other choice as of right now my other choice would be the Ruger SR45 which does have a safety. A safety is a requirement of mine on any gun I own. Suggestions on other pistols are welcome.

P.S. Please do not bring the argument that no safety is needed as my mind is made up and I don't want to hear it.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want the baby eagle, order it online from gunbroker or gunsamerica and have it shipped to your local ffl.

3. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Yea I asked and none of the dealers said they would accept it including Cabela's. I was told they would have to order it. Always same response "No we can't get anything right now". It does not really bother me looking at other options esp when it means saving a little money since the dealers here mark the Baby Eagle up to almost $1000 when MR says $630.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Where are you? Most pawn shops and small gun shops will do a ffl transfer for $25 or so.

5. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Billings,Mt asked a few pawnshops as well and most said no because there is no profit in it. Only one said they would but I won't give them my business after they were selling a stock Savage Axis for $600.

6. The_Tank

The_Tank New Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  7. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

The sd40 does not have a safety, but you can get the M&Ps with a manual safety. And IMO they are much better pistols.

8. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Ok thanks. The primary reason I am looking at other pistols is since noone ever has them in stock I cannot handle one before I purchase it which is not something I am comfortable with on such a large purchase. Next time I am at the GS I will have to check out the M&P's.

9. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

If you're open to dao then you can't go wrong with it. Very ergonomic and fun to shoot.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

How about a SIG P938? Small enough to be concealed, if you ever wished to. It operates like a 1911, and has a safety.

11. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

12. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Full size only for me never really cared for compacts. The chances of me choosing to CC are about as good as the chances the chances of growing a 3rd arm. OC is just my personal preference.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Another OCer? Welcome aboard matey! My preference is CC, but it's too expensive for me, and I've fairly well embraced my OC lifestyle.

Is there any reason you're not considering a 1911? Besides all the pro's that a standard issue 1911 Kool-Aid drinker like myself would love to preach about, the slim design in a full sized pistol is, IMHO, very comfortable to OC.

I believe you'd be satisfied with the safeties of the design too. And, well... look at my avatar. So simple a child can handle it (no, he doesn't shoot it).

14. PappaJim

PappaJim New Member

Minnesota has open carry also. The gun that I find works best for me is the Beretta 96 .40S&W. If you are not a .40 fan, the Beretta 92 is a 9mm. Alkali International has a fieldman that covers your area. I am sure he would be happy to assist you in finding the gun that would be perfect for you. If you would like to contact Chris you can do so through WWW.AlkaliCorp.com. And if you are cruising the site for firearms or firearm related items use coupon code JR76 when checking out for added savings.
    Jim Richards
    Minnesota Based Fieldman for
    Alkali International Corp.

15. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

Great options already up! Can't go wrong with any of them. I'll throw my .02 in the pot, have you checked out the CZ75B?

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b/

Very ergonomic, good price range, extremely accurate and holds 16+1 of 9mm or 10+1 of .40 S&W.

I'll admit I am slightly bias towards the 75 though :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  16. PappaJim

PappaJim New Member

I do not have much experience with the CZ75B, however My wife has a CZ75 Tactical Sport and it is a very nice handgun. It always attracts a crowd at the range. I would butter her up so she would let me shoot it more often if it wasn't purple.

17. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Yes I have checked out 1911's they just did not comfortably fit in my hand. I have broken both of my hands multiple times which is just one more thing I am contending with when finding a pistol. That and the price instantly turned me off to 1911's.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've broken my shooting hand a few times, the last time was freaking bad. All four metacarpals and my hand folded in half. I can still **** full house .357 mag for fun, but it does tend to get awful sore after the first box.

I can **** my 1911 all day (which cost less than several options already mentioned), but I can actually get my hand around it comfortably to begin with. I also have some slimmer grips coming soon, which should make it even better.

Excuse the profanity, which I'm sure is censored by the server. My phone is glitching at the moment.

Best of luck.

19. mahall

mahall New Member

Strange, most all gun shops and pawn shops will transfer in FL. In the hopes of future business directly with them.

20. mahall

mahall New Member

And it's all profit! Since the buyer or seller pays for the shipping!! They must not do enough transfers to bother with it!!