looking to buy a shot gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by rob1990, Apr 27, 2013.

1. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

I'm looking at maybe a remington 870 or mossberg 500 any opinions? Also I want to be able to shoot shot as well as slugs will a smooth barrel be better? Are rifled slugs threw a smooth bore accurate? Any input would be awsome

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

Use the search button.there is a lot of other threads already on here that will answer all your questions

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Quick -- lock it. QUICK!

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

lmao hurry!!!!!

5. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Akers, what's the over/under till some kid tries to sell everyone else on whatever their own experience is limited to owning and using?

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what is the intended purpose of the shotgun? hunting? shooting clays? or SD? a little more information on its intended usage, might help us make better suggestions for you. what type of budget have you set aside for this shotgun?

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

Within ten posts lol

8. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

It'll be used for all the above. Mainly target and SD but hunting is a possibility. I'm looking to spend around $300 maybe a bit more maybe less I figure that is a good mid range budget.

9. Axxe55

i'd look into one of the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 combo units if they are still available. might give you the best options. both are very easy to modify and change out barrels for the intended use. many different barrel options available for both of these two shotguns.

10. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

LOL If you picked the over, you lose!

11. Axxe55

what does that have to do with the OP's questions?:rolleyes:

12. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

Ok well any suggestions as far as barrel options? Ill admit I'm new to the shotgun world. I've always shot somone elses and it was mainly always targets or birds. But I've never owned one.

13. Axxe55

well yes here are some. with either two of thos shotguns, you could go with a 26-28" vented rib barrel for general purpose hunting and shooting clays. just change out the chock tubes. a 20-22" barrel set up with open rifle type sights or a base for scope and use it with buckshot or slugs for deer type hunting and such. and finally an 18-20" barrel and mag extention for SD purposes.

see one shotgun and three different barrels would cover most all your needs for a shotgun.

14. akers06

akers06 New Member

Bc people should search a little bit before starting the same new thread over and over

15. Axxe55

but some mobile devices don't have the search feature. the apps sometimes don't support it.

16. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Don't forget answering the same old questions the same way, over and over, with as much limited fact as fantasy and narrow perception. These days that just degenerates into "my 870 works OK" just before the thread gets locked.

What's the over/under on that here Akers?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  17. akers06

akers06 New Member

That's all I use and I have it...I didn't know some didn't have it I apologize then

18. Axxe55

do your have any constructive information to add to this thread?

if not then maybe you can exit out of this thread and go sit and the kiddy table. let the adults handle this one. it might be a little over your head.

so far i haven't seen a lot of any useful information come from any of your posts yet. just hanging out trolling here!

19. akers06

akers06 New Member

axxe I wasn't trying to be a smart azz I just get kinda tired of seeing the same stuff over and over lol

20. Axxe55

i ue to ask the same question a whiles back as well. that's how i found out about it. it's cool partner.:D