Looking to buy a black rifle

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jlland70, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jlland70

jlland70 New Member

I'm currently looking to get into 3 gun competition in the north ga area. Started looking into an "entry level" AR.... Price-wise , I have narrowed down to a stag, del-ton, or the bushmaster with the carbon fiber receiver. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these? The other 2guns that will be completing my rig are a benelli super nova, and a colt mk iv combat commander. Also, any advise on gear set up and such, would be greatly appreciated.

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Of those 3 , stag would be best. PSA would be a great rifle in your entry level price range also

3. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Check out the dpms oracle. Can be found for just under $600. Ive got close to 5000 rounds through one so far with zero malfunctions. It will certainly hang with my $1200 armalite all day long.

4. jlland70

jlland70 New Member

I spoke with a local shop about the oracle, guy there said they tend to have problems with the extractor.... Not sure if that's true, or if it was convenient due to the fact that he had a rack full of stags and del- tons lol.... And no dpms rifles at all

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Delton would be my second choice and I would just pass on the carbon 15 .

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Don't get a polymer receiver on an AR.

7. jlland70

jlland70 New Member

Been reading good reviews on the carbon fiber receivers... But my brain still equates "carbon fiber" with "plastic"

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Your brains right. Keep in mind this is shredded carbon fibers and resin not the woven type of carbon that has superior strength.

9. jlland70

jlland70 New Member

From what I've seen the del-ton and the stag are about the same price.... Why would you take the stag 1st, if you don't mind me asking?

10. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Well, I can't say if it's true or not. But I can say that in mine, after 5000 or so rounds so far, the extractor has gotten a good workout. And it hasn't failed yet. Will it ever? Maybe, maybe not. But it hasn't yet. I can also say that it gives up nothing in performance or reliability to my armalite that cost twice as much. My experience with the other brands listed in the op is very limited so I won't comment on those ones.

11. jlland70

jlland70 New Member

Great thanks for the info...

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Stag has good brand recognition. Lifetime barrel replacement warranty . Great customer service. Barrels made buy a good manufacturer. It won't give u any troubles and if it does they will take care of u.

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

It's black, its 'tactical', its cheap to shoot...:p:eek:
    I just threw up a little.

Attached Files:

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Actually, Carbon 15's are not carbon fiber. They just use carbon in the model number as a trade name. Plastic is closer to what they use. Not saying it is bad. If as many have failed as the posters here claimed, the line would have been discontinued long time ago. Still, I feel more comfortable with aluminum. The barrel is the heaviest part of the upper anyway. I would personally go with an aluminum upper, and if you are looking to make a lite weight AR, get a lighter barrel.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Advice?

I agree with fsted2a, the plastic upper worries me more. Will it stand up to supporting the barrel over thousands of rounds. Seems like a lot of stress at the front of the receiver supporting a long front heavy rod of steel. I'd go with 7075-T6 alloy for both receivers.

Stag vs. Delton? Hard to say. Why not tell us which models and specs and price range. Got links to the versions you're looking at? Or better yet, look at PSA if we're talking $800 or so.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If ur going to 3 gun with it its going to get run harder than the average weekend shooter runs theirs and I don't suggest a poly or carbon type rifle In the $800 or less range . PSA from joe bob outfitters. Use the FT discount and that should put u in the $693.45 range :) and it comes with a rear sight aand free shipping.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ShoppingCart.asp

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  17. jlland70

jlland70 New Member

The stag I'm looking at is the sa3 model( $738), and the del-ton is the " dt model" ($659). Those are the prices off buds gun shop. Local shop here says they will match that price

18. jlland70

jlland70 New Member

Price on the stag is $738. No idea how a smiley face got in there

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I'm not trying to push u to PSA exclusively but it truely is a bargain for what u get in a rifle . Great customer service and a lifetime warranty on their complete rifles. I have 3 of their uppers and they eat match grade ammo to cheapo steel tula without issues. One of them has well over 5000 rds thru it the other somewhere in the 2800 range and my newest just 300 rds all without a hiccup. All accurate and all reliable. My buddy owns a BCM and a PSA and he tells me he would run them head to head with his colt he has that much trust and confidence in both brands

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  20. deerkiller03

deerkiller03 New Member

Probley be better to build 1. So you choose what goes in your gun and what kinda set up you want