Looking to buy a big cal. revolver, help me decide

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by JD1969, Jul 28, 2012.

1. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

In the next week or two, I am looking to pick up a big caliber revolver. I have been looking around and I have a few in mind. Keep in mind I do not want anything with a barrel longer than 4 inches, DA/SA is a must, prefer stainless, but blue is OK for the right gun. Right now my short list is.

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull

S&W 500

Taurus M454 (I am not really keen on this, I have a hard time spending this kind of money on a Taurus).

S&W 460 is a maybe, but it's a 5 inch barrel.

What am I missing? I want to stay larger than a .44 Magnum.
    I am leaning towards the Ruger, I kinda have a thing for Rugers, but it's been hard to find, I have no issue buying on line, but I really want to see one in person first. Price is not a huge factor, but I do want to stay as close to $1000-1200 real world price as I can.
    For those that might wonder, I have no specific purpose for this other than I just want one. It will be a range toy that gets shot once in while. I have a thing for large caliber revolvers. On second thought I might consider a single action if it were something really cool.
    Thanks for any help

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Magnum research makes a SA in 45/70...

3. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

How about this one?

Attached Files:

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Holy Moley batman!

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If single action is ok check out freedom arms. I love both of mine in 454 Cassul. I have an 8" bbl and a 5" bbl

6. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

If you're set on a Big Bore Revolver I would go with the .460 Magnum because it can also shoot .454 Casull and .45LC as well. This will seem like you have 3 guns in 1 and also will be more economical to shoot. The .45LC ammo will be a lot cheaper to buy.

7. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Big caliber=hurt for my wrist.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

IME, I would say forget a big revolver if you're not going to get a barrel at least 6 inches long, and 7 1/2 is even better

to me, a "snub nosed" big magnum makes no sense at all.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree one kazillion percent!
    I'm a Ruger Super Redhawk & .454 Casull fan myself-

10. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Ahh, I have not found nothing like a good .45acp, but maybe a Eagle 50 would look good in my arsenal.

11. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Best answer yet. I have found that most people who want a snubby in a bigger bore than a .357 Mag have never shot a snubby in a bigger bore than a .357 Mag and those who do own them say they regret buying it.

I own a Taurus 651 Titanium .357 snubby and I very rarely shoot .357's from it. To me it is a .38 Special that just happens to fit .357 Mag rounds too.

12. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Well, I have shot them and they don't bother me. Do I sit there and shoot 100 rounds at a time, no, but I do enjoy them. As for barrel length, I have my reasons for not wanting a 6 or 8 inch, one of them being I think they look bad, just my own opinion. The short 500 that I have shot was not a big deal (to me any ways). It's not like I am some newb that has never fired these things, I just have not been in a position to buy one until recently (kids, house, marriage etc. all take away from the gun funds). I've fired lots of big caliber guns in the past and have owned 2 .44 Magnums and a .357. I understand what I am getting into, I just wanted to make sure there was not any options that I am overlooking. That said, a SAA style gun may in fact win out this round, I've always wanted one and am heading to the LGS later today to check some out.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  13. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

I wouldn't part with my 4",old model 629 for anything.It has been a hunting companion for too long.It is EXTREMELY accurate,but would deffinately be down the list of choices if "range work" was on the menu.

Its fun and IMO the "right" tool for the job of Deer whackin here,but I'll take a .38 if were shootin paper everytime.Good luck,shop.

14. R3c0n5n1p3r

R3c0n5n1p3r New Member

Get the BFR from magnum research it's a big f****** revolver lol shoots the so much cheaper and more powerful 45.70 gov round "sick" and the revolver is only $825 as to a S&W 500 that is $1200....

15. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I'm going to look into that. I have not seen one at any of my LGS.

16. R3c0n5n1p3r

R3c0n5n1p3r New Member

I think there absolutely the coolest heavy cal revolver made...

17. billt

billt New Member

They are a hoot to shoot. Well made and accurate. Both of mine, (.45-70 & .500 S&W), have the 10" barrels. They are also avaliable with 7 1/2" barrels as well. They're well finished and immaculately put together. The sights are excellent, and fully adjustable.

Of the 2 the .45-70 is much easier to shoot with factory loads, because it is a much lower pressure cartridge compared to the .500 S&W Magnum. There is no way to tone down the factory .500 S&W loads. All are brutal. Someone made a ".500 Special" round a while back. But I don't know if they're produced any longer. The case life with the .45-70 is much longer because of the reduced pressure. But hand loaded with heavy cast bullets the .45-70 in a handgun can hold it's own with any Magnum pistol cartridge out there.

[​IMG]

18. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ruger super redhawk in 454. Either alaskan or regular. It doesnt get any better imo

19. R3c0n5n1p3r

R3c0n5n1p3r New Member

2 the BFR pic that's just down right sexy and bad a** I would love 2 have 1 ... It makes a S&w 500 look like poo ... Nice gun!!!

20. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

My choice would be the Ruger Super Redhawk.