Looking to buy a berretta

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ogtrpog, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ogtrpog

ogtrpog New Member

I'm looking to buy a pre owned berretta 92 series. Either 9mm or .40S&W
    I want a near perfect one.

2. ogtrpog

ogtrpog New Member

Trying to decide on a berretta

Any opinions on wich berretta 92 series to buy. A 9mm or .40S& W????

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I went ahead and merged these two. No need to be double posting.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you know you like the 92 series, and have it narrowed siren to the two calibers, your doing good.

Personally, I'd take the 9. I'm not a 9mm fanboy, but considering the cost of ammo, advances in SD ammo for the 9mm, and the capacity of that fat bass tuhd, I'd take the 9.

I think they'd be selling like hot cakes if they made them in .45.

5. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I like the 9mm. The Beretta 92 can be converted to shoot 40 just by changing the barrel and slide.

6. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

Buy one or the other and buy the other barrel later or go ahead buy both barrels and problem solved .Thats what i did with my 229 .357sig I went ahead and bought the .40 barrel to go with it .

7. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have the Beretta 92 L Compact and I have been very pleased with it. It is a great shooting gun and very easy to maintain. I am impressed by the design of the Beretta 92. I am a .45 acp guy but bought a 9mm because the ammo is much cheaper and if necessary this round will suffice just fine for self defense.

8. Hurryin' Hoosier

Hurryin' Hoosier New Member

Look for a commercial M9 or a 92FS. ;)

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Lord knows they're plenty enormous to pass for double-column 45's.

10. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 92 a 9mm and a 96 a .40?

11. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Berettas are da bomb - I have owned a lot of different handgun platforms over the years. Beretta 92s are my favorite platform now. I even sold off my two high end 1911s last year, as I usually only shoot my Berettas...

[​IMG]

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Okay shipwreck, I've got some range time on a M9. Give me a rundown, what exactly are the differences between the 92A1, and the new M9's? I guess that would be the M9A1.

I see the trigger guard differences, but that's it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am a dyed in the wool 1911 man, but during the ammo famine I bought a 92SF (9mm) and I have got to tell you, for a range gun it is hard to beat. They are a pleasure to shoot.

14. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Here is text I typed a few months ago on a thread in the Beretta section of Glocktalk:

15. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

U da man! :D:D:D

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hmmm... now my wheels are turning again...

17. Mdrums

Mdrums New Member

Total newbie here...bought a Glock G27...just rented a Beratta PX4 Storm at the range and fell in love with it...much more comfortable in my hand. I'm going to look at a more full size Beretta for home and range shooting.

So you're a Jagr fan! My wife and I love his hockey game, followed him heavily when he was in Pittsburgh...even had a personal license plate that said Go Jagr.

18. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

The 92FS is a great choice.
    [​IMG]

19. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Cool. I have the NHL tv package, and I catch EVERY Flyers game and EVERY Canucks game. I have several Flyers jerseys (a couple Jagr ones too), and have Flyers stuff on my walls at my office at home and at work.

I'm going to the Flyers carnival later this month to meet some of them and get some autographs. I have a ticket to get a photo with Jagr. Should be cool.

20. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

To answer a couple points, the 92 is primarily 9mm, the 96, .40. Also, the main difference between the M9 and M9A1 is the presence of an accessory rail. Both versions mimic the military specs from the US Armed Forces.

I have a Model 96D Brigadier myself, a trade in from the Pennsylvania State Police when they went to Glocks in the 45GAP calibre, right down to the laser etched PSP logo on the gun. I lucked into one as I have a relationship with the LE supplier that handled the deal for them in this side of the Commonwealth. For a larger, heavier firearm, the 92 Series shoots beautifully and recovers from recoil nicely. It's well balanced also. The Brigadier has the heavier slide and is primarily designed for high volumes of ammo, to stand up better over use and time. The only drawback to the Brigadier that I've found is that you get restricted to specialty fit holsters as they don't really fit the ones made for the standard 92 well, if at all.

Bottom line is that if you are looking for a full size semi, you cannot go wrong with a 92 Series in either calibre. There's a lot of very good used ones out there at reasonable prices. The new ones get a bit pricey, IMHO from a seller.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012